M3/M7 at Hunters Point Ave?

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

M3/M7 at Hunters Point Ave?

Postby cam36 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:17 pm

Hi there,

I've never taken a train to/from Hunters Point Ave, but I've always noticed it going into/coming out of the East River Tunnels. I've only ever seen a Diesel there, but saw that the tracks do indeed have a 3rd rail.

Do M3s/M7s stop at Hunters Point Ave? Or is this mainly a Diesel station?

Thanks!
cam36

Re: M3/M7 at Hunters Point Ave?

Postby MattAmity90 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:37 pm

Usually diesels stop at Hunterspoint, but the station is in electrified territory. Only two electrics stop there (One from Huntington during the AM rush hour, and a train to Ronkonkoma during the PM rush hour), because the tracks next to the platforms at Long Island City are not electrified and only see diesel service. There are one or two tracks on the South side of the yard there that are electrified and only the crew gets off with the use of a wooden platform with mushroom lights. It's mostly a diesel station. Trains from Oyster Bay, Montauk, and Port Jefferson stop there. Babylon, Long Beach, Far Rockaway, West Hempstead, Hempstead, and Port Washington do not stop there. Just the one from Huntington in the AM and the one to Ronkonkoma in the PM.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby SwingMan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:48 pm

Tracks 9 through 12 are electrified in L.I. City Yard.

There were additional MU trains over the summer that were rerouted to Hunterspoint Avenue, and there is currently at least one Far Rockaway morning train that was diverted to Hunterspoint Avenue/L.I. City Yard effective January 8th.
SwingMan

Postby MattAmity90 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:45 pm

SwingMan wrote:Tracks 9 through 12 are electrified in L.I. City Yard.

There were additional MU trains over the summer that were rerouted to Hunterspoint Avenue, and there is currently at least one Far Rockaway morning train that was diverted to Hunterspoint Avenue/L.I. City Yard effective January 8th.

I didn't know they added another AM rush hour train from or to Far Rockaway. Did they add a second PM rush hour electric with the new timetable?
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby krispy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:38 pm

It's part of what's called the SOGR (state of good repair) program, dealing with the loss of tracks from the current Amtrak renovations in Penn. As it's not as extreme as last Summer's, there's less diversions, etc.

http://web.mta.info/supplemental/lirr/t ... an2018.htm
krispy

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:36 pm

There have been rare cases of electric MU trains operating out of HPA to Port Washington Branch (via Woodside) when the 7 Line is suspended.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)