My LIRR Website Update December 2017

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

My LIRR Website Update December 2017

Postby nyandw » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:20 pm

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrwebsiteupdate.htm
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Artwork/lirrartwork.htm NEW PAGE LIRR Artwork 12/16

Some examples! Happy New Year to All! Best, Steve
nyandw

Re: My LIRR Website Update December 2017

Postby MattAmity90 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:55 pm

I saw a picture of an engineer where you can see him piloting the GT-2 on a daily test run, and he's coming to two wayside signals and a grade crossing. I'm guessing he's heading Westbound on the Eastbound track about to go over the Covert Avenue crossing because I see a water tower to his 2:00.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby nyandw » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:53 pm

MattAmity90 wrote:I saw a picture of an engineer where you can see him piloting the GT-2 on a daily test run, and he's coming to two wayside signals and a grade crossing. I'm guessing he's heading Westbound on the Eastbound track about to go over the Covert Avenue crossing because I see a water tower to his 2:00.

Leo F. Cronan, Assistant Road Foreman of LIRR Engineers pilots the GT-2 on a daily test run. GT-2 Test Car LIRR Press Release, July 29, 1970 - MTA Photos: Leon Hoffman

Was this ever created as artwork? Thanks.
nyandw

Postby MattAmity90 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:35 pm

By the way I looked at old photos I have and indeed the guy is about to cross the Covert Avenue grade crossing on the test run. Wayside Position Light signals were located just a few feet East of the crossing. I don't know when they were taken down, but I'm guessing sometime after the Mineola to Hicksville and Huntington electrification.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby krispy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:04 pm

Matt, I don't have the time but it would've been when they put 262 between Nassau and Divide, maybe when the first elevated Divide was put in, or later when they replaced the ping-pong machine with a computer. That doesn't help but may if you have access to old gn's or timetables.
krispy

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)