[PHOTOS] Abandoned Rockaway Division In Broad Channel

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

[PHOTOS] Abandoned Rockaway Division In Broad Channel

Postby newkirk » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:44 pm

Any comments and input are welcome.
Looking towards the Rockaway peninsula. Should the steel structure be for the NYCTA Rockaway line station and overpass ? June 25, 1955

I believe the photographer turned around and faced north towards Hamilton Beach. Correct ? June 25, 1955
Bill Mangahas (AKA Newkirk Images LLC)
Train to Rockaway Park now boarding on Track 22
newkirk

Re: [PHOTOS] Abandoned Rockaway Division In Broad Channel

Postby krispy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:29 pm

Amazing how much that view has changed since then. Didn't take long from cessation of service to the time the pics were taken for the sand to pile up around the rail, I wonder if that was once a regular task, clearing sand from the ROW other there. Thanks for posting!
krispy

Postby railfaned » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:32 pm

Wow, Sand??? I thought it was snow!
ED,
40 year commuter-railfan and model railroader,
Ex-Long Islander
railfaned

Postby newkirk » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:18 pm

Krispy wrote: Amazing how much that view has changed since then. Didn't take long from cessation of service to the time the pics were taken for the sand to pile up around the rail, I wonder if that was once a regular task, clearing sand from the ROW other there. Thanks for posting!

Wow, over two hundred views and finally two replies. Those photos left everyone speechless. lol

You're welcome for your complement. Are the two captions for those photos correct ?

Also, would it be safe to assume that where those tracks were, underneath all those tall weeds etc, that the tracks are still there ?

I would guess the city did not remove those abandoned tracks since the current (A) subway line is only yards away.
newkirk

Postby newkirk » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:21 pm

railfaned wrote: Wow, Sand??? I thought it was snow!

Unless it snowed in June. lol
newkirk

Postby krispy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:33 pm

I stand corrected, that's snow. Doesn't say much about my vision plan, LOL. But as for the old rail, that's a good question. I have ninja'd portions of that shoreline at certain times (not permitted but if you suck for fly casting on a kayak...) and don't recall seeing any buried rail. When that area transitioned to Gateway back in the '70s Moses and a few others jumped in to change things before it went to the Feds, like demolishing the Raunt, etc and they could've ordered the rail lifted if it was still there after the NYCTA takeover. But i'd guess it was taken as the NYCTA widened the row considerably to make room for a layup and cleaning yard for their scoot operation and lifted the rail and ties then. I had always wondered why they did that there instead of using the available space in Rockaway Park yard, maybe someone can chime in.
krispy

Postby newkirk » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:00 pm

Thanks Krispy,

In both photos, I noticed a couple of the cross bars on the utility poles on an angle. Porbably from tearing down the copper wires ?
newkirk

Postby vince » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:30 am

@krispy:
Snow? Those trees in the background are a might pretty green . . . and they are not evergreen trees either. The small bushes also tell a summer story.
Don't let the color of the sand fool you. That's not snow. Couldn'y be with the trees. The south shore of Long Island has some of the purest white sand beaches in the world.

Re: the steel structure. Can't be the Not MTA tower as the Liberty Ave 'EL' is missing. Oops . . .Where the el is it?
Possibly it's the Broad Channel station under construction?
It's very easy to check out as there are more than one front end window videos on You Tube of of the 'A' trains crossing Jamaca Bay.

The NY Transit Authority re-graded the entire line filling in with sand pumped in from the channel dredges, constructed two new steel drawbridges and laying a new roadbed exactly where the LIRR ROW ran.

regards,
vince
Rosedale
vince

Postby newkirk » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:10 am

vince wrote:krispy:
Snow? Those trees in the background are a might pretty green . . . and they are not evergreen trees either. The small bushes also tell a summer story.
Don't let the color of the sand fool you. That's not snow. Couldn'y be with the trees. The south shore of Long Island has some of the purest white sand beaches in the world.

Re: the steel structure. Can't be the Not MTA tower as the Liberty Ave 'EL' is missing. Oops . . .Where the el is it?
Possibly it's the Broad Channel station under construction?
It's very easy to check out as there are more than one front end window videos on You Tube of of the 'A' trains crossing Jamaca Bay.

The NY Transit Authority re-graded the entire line filling in with sand pumped in from the channel dredges, constructed two new steel drawbridges and laying a new roadbed exactly where the LIRR ROW ran.

regards,
vince
Rosedale

The sand appears white because the image was a bit overexposed by the photographer. I had to correct this in PhotoShop. Hence the sand having a white color and not the usual light tan. Since the name Broad Channel was written on the original slides, that structure would have to be the Broad Channel station overpass. Also it's nice to know the new subway right of way was constructed over the footprints of the old LIRR Rockaway division.
newkirk

Postby Crabman1130 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:25 pm

I agree that it's Broad Channel station. It has 2 tracks, as Howard Beach has 4.
Crabman1130

Postby vince » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:11 am

Hi Bill,

You can drive that Train to Rockaway Park now boarding on Track 22 plus run a good portion of the LIRR ( all track west of a Long Beach - Salisbury Plains line ) built for the time period 1945 -1955 if you want to take the time to:

1. Download Open Rails Train Simulator and the Users Manual.
Freeware open source simulator >>> http://www.openrails.org/learn/manual-and-tutorials/
and then, after you've had a chance to skim through the manual a bit you may download the LIRR route I built (also freeware ) at the Trainsim.com File Library. Search the file library for All Sections & Text for: 'LIRR' (without the quotes)
Some pictures of the LIRR route. https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/album.php?albumid=248

regards,
vince
vince

Postby newkirk » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:07 am

vince wrote: Hi Bill,

You can drive that Train to Rockaway Park now boarding on Track 22 plus run a good portion of the LIRR ( all track west of a Long Beach - Salisbury Plains line ) built for the time period 1945 -1955 if you want to take the time to:

Thanks Vince. That of course is a joke since Penn station only has 21 tracks. lol
newkirk

Postby nyandw » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:53 am

Rock Beach Branch at ROW Ozone Park Track Level South 5/1970

BROAD CHANNEL

Opened: 1900 Out of service: 5/23/50 with abandonment of Jamaica Bay trestle after fire of 1950
G.O. #1728, Effective: 5/23/50: "Broad Channel Station and station facilities, out of service." Research: Dave Keller

After the 1950 trestle fire there was NO transit service to Rockaway Park OR to Far Rockaway. The LIRR stopped at Hamilton Beach, making stops at Ozone Park and Aqueduct Racetrack. After 1955, the LIRR terminated ALL their trains at Ozone Park until service was completely ended in 1962.

In 1955, ownership of the LIRR's ROW and tracks from south of Ozone Park, across Jamaica Bay, eastward to Far Rockaway (Mott Ave.), and westward to Rockaway Park and all the stations in between was transferred to the NYCTA, who then rebuilt the trestle over Jamaica Bay in a more substantial manner, renovated some of the elevated stations along the line, installed their own signal system, tore up and rebuilt the Rockaway Park yard and terminal platforms and severed the elevated structure and tracks over Mott Ave., Far Rockaway, so as to allow no further connection with the LIRR's facilities on the east side of Mott Avenue. Dave Kelle research/photo collection.

The city built a junction called Liberty Junction, at the BMT's Fulton Street line along Liberty Ave. just south of the LIRR's Ozone Park station, with the upper BMT EL line continuing eastward to Lefferts Blvd. and the lower IND EL line curving south and becoming their Rockaway line, running along the LIRR's former ROW from this point southwards, across the new Jamaica Bay trestle and curving off at what was once Hammel's wye with one line curving westward to Rockaway Park and one line curving eastward to Far Rockaway, Mott Ave., along the LIRR's former viaduct.
nyandw

Postby newkirk » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:51 am

To nyandw:

Thank you for posting that photo of Ozone Park station and the info from Steve Lynch.
newkirk

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)