LIRR Track work at Freeport - Mechanized Tie Replacement

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

LIRR Track work at Freeport - Mechanized Tie Replacement

Postby pineywoodsman » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:30 pm

IMG_0045.JPG
LIRR Work engine 158
Looks like once again the concrete ties are expanding eastward on the Babylon Branch. Got a glimpse of the work at Freeport on Saturday afternoon. I still wonder why this isn't being done on other busy branches such as the Huntington & Port Washington which are stuck with aging wooden ties. Seems the Babylon always gets "only the best" when it comes to track infrastructure. Politics, I know...
Anyway the track machines are quite a sight to see while at work! I assume these will be working out to Wantagh for the concrete ties. Sure wish the Huntington branch would get them, those tracks are very rickety!
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

— Benjamin Franklin
pineywoodsman

Re: LIRR Track work at Freeport - Mechanized Tie Replacement

Postby bellstbarn » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:17 pm

Please note date, October 7, 2017. Track 1 west of Babylon Turnpike, Merrick.

ImageLIRR Merrick tie replacement by sphoto33, on Flickr

bellstbarn

Re: LIRR Track work at Freeport - Mechanized Tie Replacement

Postby JamesRR » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:12 am

pineywoodsman wrote:Looks like once again the concrete ties are expanding eastward on the Babylon Branch. Got a glimpse of the work at Freeport on Saturday afternoon. I still wonder why this isn't being done on other busy branches such as the Huntington & Port Washington which are stuck with aging wooden ties. Seems the Babylon always gets "only the best" when it comes to track infrastructure. Politics, I know...
Anyway the track machines are quite a sight to see while at work! I assume these will be working out to Wantagh for the concrete ties. Sure wish the Huntington branch would get them, those tracks are very rickety!

The line sees a lot of traffic, so that's probably why it is a candidate for concrete track. Some sections have direct fixation, which is a whole different animal altogether, but that dates back to when those sections were elevated.
JamesRR

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)