Mineola-Garden City Yard in the 70s, 80s and early 90's

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: Mineola-Garden City Yard in the 70s, 80s and early 90's

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:14 am

MADDOG wrote:Gallo wines on Underhill Blvd became Premier wine merchants, then they sold the building to Southern wine and spirits (now Southern Glazer wine & spirits-SGWS). Before it was Premier, it was Star/Major/Selected wines and Spirits who still maintain an office there. I understand that SGWS extended the sidings.
Star Industries (an independent liquor bottler and distributor), produces and bottles Georgi vodka. The vodka is locally blended and bottled here.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby Sir Ray » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:21 am

BuddR32 wrote:What part, if any does/did the single track trestle over the Meadowbrook play into this? If that is in fact a railroad trestle.

Well, if you're referring to the brown-painted girder bridge that crosses a little SE of Zeckendorf Blvd, near the Lowes Home Center, that used to be the way to access White Rose and a handful of other industries north of the Meadowbrook back in the day, as well as (occasional) passenger service to Roosevelt Raceway.
What it is doing now is mostly growing shrubs in the ballast.
What it will be in the future...well, it was suppose to be part of the Nassau Hub proposal. Other than that, I have no idea - does the MTA?

Don't forget the hidden buried trestle near the Meadowbrook off ramp, once part of the Central Branch.

Hey, I forgot. The Garden City Secondary has a wiki page that may need editing...
Sir Ray

Postby BuddR32 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:27 pm

Sir Ray wrote:
BuddR32 wrote:What part, if any does/did the single track trestle over the Meadowbrook play into this? If that is in fact a railroad trestle.

Well, if you're referring to the brown-painted girder bridge that crosses a little SE of Zeckendorf Blvd, near the Lowes Home Center, that used to be the way to access White Rose and a handful of other industries north of the Meadowbrook back in the day, as well as (occasional) passenger service to Roosevelt Raceway.
What it is doing now is mostly growing shrubs in the ballast.
What it will be in the future...well, it was suppose to be part of the Nassau Hub proposal. Other than that, I have no idea - does the MTA?

Don't forget the hidden buried trestle near the Meadowbrook off ramp, once part of the Central Branch.

Hey, I forgot. The Garden City Secondary has a wiki page that may need editing...

I was talking about the one that crosses the parkway. I had no idea the other one existed! I will look for it when the trees shed their leaves, I bet its a cool sight! Thank you.
BuddR32

Previous

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)