How were the zip cars converted?

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: How were the zip cars converted?

Postby Backshophoss » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:40 pm

The cars that were equipped with gensets tended to stay on the Port Jefferson trains to/from Hunterspoint Ave(rush hour)runs.
Some cars were out of Ronkonkoma before the 3rd rail was extended.
Both Port Jefferson and Ronkonkoma had wyes back then
Backshophoss

Postby SPEONKNY » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:13 pm

Backshophoss wrote:The cars that were equipped with gensets tended to stay on the Port Jefferson trains to/from Hunterspoint Ave(rush hour)runs...
Interesting, similar to the deployment of the MARC cars this summer 2017.
SPEONKNY

Postby jhdeasy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:22 pm

interface76 wrote:Ahh, the good old "red stripe" cars...

Was too young to ever have rode in one of them - wonder what that experience was like?

A visit to my LIRR Parlor Cars website, starting at http://www.dominionrailvoyages.com/jhd/lirr/page5.html, should give you some feel for the Sunrise Fleet (a.k.a. red stripe) parlor cars. If you were willing to spend the extra money, it was a nice way to travel to/from the South Fork (Westhampton thru Montauk) and to/from the North Fork (Riverhead thru Greenport) in the 1976 - 2000 era.

Do any of you have any detailed close-up photos of the HEP trainline jumpers used in the push-pull fleet?
jhdeasy

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:16 am

jhdeasy wrote:If you were willing to spend the extra money, it was a nice way to travel to/from the South Fork (Westhampton thru Montauk) and to/from the North Fork (Riverhead thru Greenport) in the 1976 - 2000 era.
The Jitney has been around since 1974, how was the competition then?
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby jhdeasy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:23 am

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
jhdeasy wrote:If you were willing to spend the extra money, it was a nice way to travel to/from the South Fork (Westhampton thru Montauk) and to/from the North Fork (Riverhead thru Greenport) in the 1976 - 2000 era.
The Jitney has been around since 1974, how was the competition then?

I never rode the Jitney, so I can not make a comparison based on personal experience with pricing and service. I'd say each mode of transportation had its preferred and loyal customers.

The Jitney's website makes no mention of alcoholic beverages, so I must assume they do not sell spirits onboard the Jitney. I wonder about their policy regarding consumption of personal beer, wine or alcoholic beverages onboard the Jitney.

LIRR parlor cars did a brisk trade in selling spirits. The men who worked those cars, like Dave Keller and R. F. Makse, can surely attest to that fact. Your afternoon Happy Hour starts at Hunterspoint Avenue or Jamaica track 8! That feature, plus more space per passenger, was surely perceived as a plus by many passengers.

Regarding the conversion of zip cars (electric MU cars) to diesel push-pull service, I'd like to clarify a few points.

The 80 coaches (2901-2980) of the P72 class built in 1955-1956 were not converted for push-pull service. These cars had their own diesel generator for lighting, ventilation and air conditioning. Eventually their steam heat lines were removed and the cars were converted to electric heat, which was powered by the cars diesel generator system. They could operate behind any locomotive. They did not have an HEP trainline because they were self-contained electrically. The one exception was coach 2927, which was later converted to dual mode (self-contained with diesel generator, but also equipped with push-pull trainline) parlor car 2002 in 1989.

To the best of my knowledge, LIRR did not operate these P72 cars in a consist mixed with push-pull cars.

The 4 bar generator cars (class BG72B converted from class MP72T) were an interesting "experiment", supplementing the fleet of Powerpaks as a source of HEP for push-pull cars. A bar generator car could provide HEP to a string of push-pull coaches without a Powerpack; any locomotive would suffice for motive power. Unfortunately, the engineering design of these cars was not up to the task, so the cars eventually suffered from structural problems. Amtrak had a better design for the power/generator cars they created to provide HEP to their new Amfleet cars until sufficient HEP equipped locomotives were available; likewise Ringling Brothers had a good design for their circus train power/generator cars.
jhdeasy

Previous

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)