LIRR Anecdotes

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

LIRR Anecdotes

Postby nyandw » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:35 pm

Hi Folks, I finally started the LIRR Anecdote page to capture stories, etc. that may get lost forever.
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Anecdotes/Anecdotes.htm

Might you take a look and see if the few starters are yours? If you wish to add please post (or email me), credits or anonymous as you see fit. Thank you.

"...TICKET CASE
One story about the ticket cases. I had worked at both Flatbush and Jamaica. We got a new clerk who had just finished posting at Jamaica and she got used to the way the tickets were set up in the case. Her next assignment was Flatbush which of course, had the tickets set up differently. She decided to re-arrange every ticket to the way it was in the Jamaica cases. Unfortunately, when she cut the case, every ticket she listed was wrong. The bookkeeper was pulling his hair out when we realized what she did and when she came in she had to put everything back the way it was. Just one of those little experiences from a long time ago...."
Anonymous
nyandw

Re: LIRR Anecdotes

Postby fender52 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:42 am

The ticket case at FBA and hooping orders at MS are mine. I still laugh when I think about them.
The bookkeeper from FBA is still around too. (that's when they had comptometers)

No problem with them being used or credited.
fender52

Postby fender52 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:21 am

Steve,

Sent you a PM back. Let me know if you don't get it.
fender52

Postby nyandw » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:22 pm

fender52 wrote:Steve, Sent you a PM back. Let me know if you don't get it.
All good and updated! Tanks.
nyandw

Postby Long Gone » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:12 pm

Funny story I still remember like it was yesterday even though it was the late 70's. I am working as a brakeman on an eastbound morning Hempstead train when a guy with a suitcase from the connecting Babylon asks me if this is going to Hempstead. I say yes , he boards and 30 seconds later runs up saying he left a suitcase on the Babylon train. I tell him to go get it and I watched for him to come back. No sooner he steps outside the all aboard is given and the Babylon shuts the doors before he can get in. He starts chasing the train down the platform and I can no longer see him so I give a hand sign and we leave. About 30 seconds into the ticket lift a woman tells me that the man who ran out the door and down the platform has a bag in the seat across from her. So I give 2 to stop but we are in Hall's interlocking and I see the guy at the end of the platform. I carried his bag to the door and started walking to Jamaica and he disappears. So I put the bag on the east end of the platform and headed back and onto Hempstead. I called 204 to let them know what happened and was told call us from Hempstead. Here is the amusing part. The guy leaves his home with 2 suitcases, gets on an eastbound Babylon and leaves 1 behind, then gets on an eastbound Hempstead and leaves the other behind. He now is in Jamaica with all his belongings headed east on 2 different trains and he hasn't been mugged. As for 204 after a short scolding about not securing a passengers belongings I pointed out I cut the guys losses in half do they have a better plan and they hung up.
Long Gone

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)