Hunter's Point Ave, inbound stop?

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Hunter's Point Ave, inbound stop?

Postby Triaxle » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:15 am

Do trains stop at Hunter's Point going inbound, and can one board at that station?

I need to travel from Long Island City to Penn Station, and due to complex health issues I need to make the trip as direct as possible, with little stop/start/turn motion. This is possible on the railroad, but not on the subway. I don't mind paying a few dollars extra, but I can't tell from the schedule if one can get on at all.
Triaxle

Re: Hunter's Point Ave, inbound stop?

Postby andrewjw » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:51 am

Penn Station trains do not stop at HPA, since there are no platforms for them to do so. I would expect only LIC trains with a scheduled stop at HPA to stop at HPA.

Edit: And of course HPA terminating trains stop at HPA
andrewjw

Re: Hunter's Point Ave, inbound stop?

Postby Triaxle » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:10 pm

OK, so that plan won't work.
Triaxle

Re: HPA westbound AM peak...

Postby MACTRAXX » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:10 am

TA:

I will second Andrew and mention that AM peak trains that terminate at HPA or continue to LIC
do not serve Penn Station. The East River Tunnels Lines 2 and 4 begin within sight of the east end
of the HPA platform and Lines 1 and 3 emerge just east of the HPA station. They literally go right
under the site of the HPA Station.

Hunterspoint Avenue is served by a limited AM Peak westbound and PM Peak eastbound schedule
of 11-12 terminating trains in each direction on weekdays with 5 trains stopping at both HPA and
LIC. These are primarily trains that are stored for the daytime period in the LIC yard.

The best that you can do to get to Penn Station is to take the #7 train east to 61/Woodside and
then board a westbound LIRR train there. The current City Zone One LIRR fares that cover this
are currently $8.75 Peak (6-10 AM westbound; 4-8 PM eastbound on weekdays) and $6.25 off
peak at all other times. The $4.25 City Ticket fare applies here on Saturdays and Sundays only.

Caution - Be sure to purchase a ticket before you board - the On-Board fares are $15.00 Peak
and $12.00 off peak - rather steep for a 5 mile trip between Woodside and Penn Station...

The E Train from the LIC area to 34 Street and 8th Avenue/Penn Station is the most direct one
seat ride on the NYC Subway that is available here 24/7 if that works...

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)