Photos of Old Country Road grade crossing in Mineola?

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Photos of Old Country Road grade crossing in Mineola?

Postby nyandw » Tue May 09, 2017 9:08 pm

Does anyone have any photos of the Old Country Road grade crossing in Mineola? Thank you.
nyandw

Re: Photos of Old Country Road grade crossing in Mineola?

Postby MattAmity90 » Wed May 10, 2017 6:37 pm

Old Country road in Mineola turns into Herricks Road.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby krispy » Wed May 10, 2017 7:02 pm

Steve's asking about the branch that once existed to connect from Nassau to Garden City, also called the "Fairgrounds siding". I'd love to see that too. Closest thing I've seen is an exhibit at Old Bethpage restoration that had some photos of the big barn as it existed when it was part of the Fairgrounds, and you can barely see the line in the back of some of the photos. That was over 20 years ago and when I asked it they would redisplay those, the volunteers had no idea of what I spoke of. Then on Arrt's Archives is a pic of the branch curving away to the south from the East end of Mineola's South platform. Wish I could do better for you, maybe they have something at Garden City library? Good luck with that!
krispy

Postby nyandw » Wed May 10, 2017 7:05 pm

Thanks Krispy, I passed it along...
nyandw

Postby MattAmity90 » Thu May 11, 2017 3:00 am

Oh, I see what you mean; The grade crossing when the LIRR still had the spur that went South at Nassau Tower that was decommissioned in the 60's prior to the M1's arrival.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby frankie » Thu May 18, 2017 2:58 pm

This photo of the intersection of Old Country Road and Mineola Blvd looking east is the closest I can find of the north-south spur from the main line. (clickable for enlargement)

Note the old style diamond railroad crossing warning sign in the background.

Frankie
Attachments
Old Country and Mineola Blvd.jpg
Mineola, NY is my real home, however I live 60 miles from Mineola, MO. No LIRR here!
frankie

Postby nyandw » Thu May 18, 2017 7:51 pm

frankie wrote:This photo of the intersection of Old Country Road and Mineola Blvd looking east is the closest I can find of the north-south spur from the main line. (clickable for enlargement)Note the old style diamond railroad crossing warning sign in the background.Frankie

Terrific! Thank you.
nyandw

Postby Head-end View » Thu May 18, 2017 8:38 pm

Photo looks like about 1951.
Head-end View

Postby nyandw » Fri May 19, 2017 11:04 pm

frankie wrote:This photo of the intersection of Old Country Road and Mineola Blvd looking east is the closest I can find of the north-south spur from the main line. (clickable for enlargement) Note the old style diamond railroad crossing warning sign in the background. Frankie

What is the source of this photo?
nyandw

Postby frankie » Sat May 20, 2017 9:50 am

I saved it from "forum.bustalk.info" on Pinterest some time ago. Regarding who took the photo and when, I have no idea.

Frankie
Mineola, NY is my real home, however I live 60 miles from Mineola, MO. No LIRR here!
frankie

Postby nyandw » Sat May 20, 2017 11:35 pm

frankie wrote:I saved it from "forum.bustalk.info" on Pinterest some time ago. Regarding who took the photo and when, I have no idea. Frankie

Thanks Frankie for the response... :-)
nyandw

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)