Track Mish Mash

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: Track Mish Mash

Postby ExCon90 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:45 pm

scopelliti wrote:The map I have (and it could be outdated) shows tracks 1-4 are stub-ended and do not connect to the East River tunnels. So LIRR usage would be virtually impossible (OK, they could do a reverse move west, then east). Or is my map incorrect?

No, those tracks were always stub; however, there were plans for two additional tubes south of Lines 1 and 2. The PRR chronology on the PRRT&HS website gives a date (I think in 1937) when the decision was made not to go ahead with it. There is a slight curve at the east end of one of the tracks which may have been intended to accommodate a continuation to those tubes.
ExCon90
 
Posts: 3437
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:22 pm

Re: Track Mish Mash

Postby flexliner » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:36 pm

So signs on the LIRR tracks (13 and up) are programmed to show NJT or AMTK trains when needed
(those at the track doors on the main LIRR level? or the ones by the stairs on the lower level? or the ones on the platforms?)

yet signs in the main AMTK area or NJT concourses cannot show LIRR info when needed?
not great planning i guess.
read that there is a new main info board in the main waiting area AMTK/
you would think if they were already putting in a new board prepare for any possibilities.....

do the boards at GCT have the potential to show amtrak info when needed??
flexliner
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:01 am

Re: Track Mish Mash

Postby flexliner » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:09 am

ExCon - if what you say is right - they planned for six (!!!) tubes east to Queens while only leaving two west to NJ??
what kind of planning is that?
back then were there so many more trains to LI than to NJ??
flexliner
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:01 am

Re: Track Mish Mash

Postby geico » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:58 am

flexliner wrote:So signs on the LIRR tracks (13 and up) are programmed to show NJT or AMTK trains when needed
(those at the track doors on the main LIRR level? or the ones by the stairs on the lower level? or the ones on the platforms?)

yet signs in the main AMTK area or NJT concourses cannot show LIRR info when needed?
not great planning i guess.
read that there is a new main info board in the main waiting area AMTK/
you would think if they were already putting in a new board prepare for any possibilities.....

do the boards at GCT have the potential to show amtrak info when needed??


All the LIRR signs on the platform and stairs can and do show NJT and AMTK information if NJT and AMTK are loading on 13-16. The main boards wont show it however, just track level and stair signs.

The track level AMTK/NJT ones show nothing but a clock when LIRR is loading on 13-16.

Again since Penn is all dispatched from PSCC one would thing this provision would have been in place on both sides years ago.....
geico
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:54 pm

Re: Track Mish Mash

Postby flexliner » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:15 am

Have NJT or AMTK ever gotten as high as 18 or 19? IIRC 20-21 cannot get to the north river tunnels.
will those tracks also show the info?
really odd with tech today what it is they cannot have all info available where needed
flexliner
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:01 am

Re: Track Mish Mash

Postby JamesRR » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:34 am

flexliner wrote:Have NJT or AMTK ever gotten as high as 18 or 19? IIRC 20-21 cannot get to the north river tunnels.
will those tracks also show the info?
really odd with tech today what it is they cannot have all info available where needed


It's operated like two, and in some places, three separate railroad stations. Hence the incompatibility.
User avatar
JamesRR
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:31 pm

Re: Track Mish Mash

Postby geico » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:00 pm

JamesRR wrote:
flexliner wrote:Have NJT or AMTK ever gotten as high as 18 or 19? IIRC 20-21 cannot get to the north river tunnels.
will those tracks also show the info?
really odd with tech today what it is they cannot have all info available where needed


It's operated like two, and in some places, three separate railroad stations. Hence the incompatibility.


but all dispatched via PSCC which is Amtrak and LIRR run. if LIRR can show NJT/AMTK then the other way around is possible
geico
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:54 pm

Re: Track Mish Mash

Postby ExCon90 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:31 pm

flexliner wrote:ExCon - if what you say is right - they planned for six (!!!) tubes east to Queens while only leaving two west to NJ??
what kind of planning is that?
back then were there so many more trains to LI than to NJ??

All I know is that the chronology on the website reports the decision not to go ahead with the 5th and 6th tunnels. Remember that no significant PRR commuter service was contemplated; all movements would be nonstop between Manhattan Transfer and Penn Station, and all PRR trains would continue to Sunnyside and come back from there, whereas there was very little storage for LIRR trains west of the platforms, so most LIRR trains would have to go back eastward to find yard space.
ExCon90
 
Posts: 3437
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:22 pm

Re: Track Mish Mash

Postby scopelliti » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:29 am

And just to add to the craziness... though I guess at some point major repairs become necessary.

Amtrak Said to Weigh Extended Track Closings for Penn Station Repairs
Pat
User avatar
scopelliti
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:35 pm
Location: Big Flats, NY

Re: Track Mish Mash

Postby cam36 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:17 am

Saw a NJT train on track 16 this week and an Amtrak Acela on Track 15 this morning.
cam36
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:57 pm

Previous

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests