ADA Accessible Stations

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

ADA Accessible Stations

Postby MattAmity90 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:22 am

As I have said in past posts, most of the 124 stations on the railroad are handicap-accessible. However I've noticed some stations that are not compliant have blue wood coverings, is that a precursor to the installation of an elevator/escalator?

The reason that most of the stations are ADA accessible is because they have ramps, while elevated stations require elevators. When I was born the Babylon Branch only had Babylon, Massapequa, Freeport, Baldwin, and Rockville Centre with elevators in service, and that was back in late 1990. Since then, Seaford had one installed when the station was rehabilitated from 2008-2009, Bellmore had theirs constructed in 2000-2001, Merrick in the late 1990's, and of course Wantagh will have one once their platform is rebuilt and rehabilitated. That leaves Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, and Massapequa Park as the last stations on the line that are not handicap-compliant. I know escalators are being replaced at numerous stations, but is there any chance in the near future of those 4 stations getting an elevator?

The first ADA was passed in 1990, and an updated version was passed in 2007 by the way.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Re: ADA Accessible Stations

Postby SemperFidelis » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:47 am

And before the inevitable "why are we wasting millions of dollars on this for just a few people" argument begins:

I know men and women half my age who aren't able to use stairs because of thier service to our country. This shouldn't be viewed as a wasteful federal mandate,but rather a civil rights issue for our veterans and disabled brother and sister civilians.
SemperFidelis

Postby ExCon90 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:29 pm

It wouldn't hurt for people to be conscious that every year they become a year older, and some day ...
ExCon90

Postby MattAmity90 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:59 pm

I mean every station should be ADA accessible because Massapequa Park, Amityville, and Lindenhurst have vast parking lots and commuters, Copiague not so much. I'm actually shocked that when they elevated Massapequa Park from December 21st, 1977 to December 13th, 1980, that they didn't construct an elevator along with it. I wouldn't say this is a civil rights issue, I see it as a violation of the ADAs of 1990 and 2007.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:20 pm

Technically if built before ADA became effective law, stations are grandfathered or exempt. The WMATA and BART systems were built or planned long before ADA (in late 1960s/70s) and all stations are accessible.

Most of the remaining non-ADA LIRR stations are in city limits and are elevated. Flushing Main Street is due next for renovations. Not sure how ADA modifications can be made at Nostrand and East New York. Willets Point is supposed to receive an elevator (2014 plans), but nothing yet, while Forest Hills has the long ramps.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby MattAmity90 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:57 am

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Technically if built before ADA became effective law, stations are grandfathered or exempt. The WMATA and BART systems were built or planned long before ADA (in late 1960s/70s) and all stations are accessible.

Most of the remaining non-ADA LIRR stations are in city limits and are elevated. Flushing Main Street is due next for renovations. Not sure how ADA modifications can be made at Nostrand and East New York. Willets Point is supposed to receive an elevator (2014 plans), but nothing yet, while Forest Hills has the long ramps.

Flushing Main Street will be done just like Queens Village where they will put in a pair of elevator shafts on the whatever ends of the platforms they choose. At Queens Village they are located at the East end of the platforms. I'm still shocked though that MWP has not yet received that elevator since the only way a handicapped person can get to Citi Field via train is by taking the 7.

I guess the only way I see any elevated station getting an elevator is if the platform has to be rehabilitated, and last time I checked in 2013 Massapequa Park through Lindenhurst were in fantastic condition despite the fact they were built and put into service between October 25th, 1968-December 13th, 1980. I was also taking into account that it's not just the amount of pedestrian traffic one sees but other modes of transportation that terminate and originate either by route, and in other cases where Nassau (NICE) and Suffolk buses meet.
MattAmity90

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:19 pm

Other than the four remaining elevated South Shore stations, the last non-ADA LIRR stations are:

Hunterspoint(*), Nostrand, East New York, Kew Gardens(**), St. Albans, Hollis, Floral Park, Bellerose, Locust Manor, Laurelton, Willets Point, Flushing Main Street, Murray Hill

Even Belmont was fully rebuilt with high level loading in time for the 2015 Stakes.

(*)Hunterspoint is slated to close when ESA is in service
(**)Kew Gardens has both platforms accessible, but are disconnected, requiring the Lefferts Blvd overpass for crossover
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby LB » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:57 am

The first time I noticed handicapped parking spaces being designated was the 1985-1986 timeframe (a few years before the 1990 ADA).
LB

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)