2 Hours of Evening Rush Action @ Forest Hills

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

2 Hours of Evening Rush Action @ Forest Hills

Postby Fan Railer » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:25 pm

The result of my two hours @ Forest Hills LIRR yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6igPdlPI5o
Fan Railer

Re: 2 Hours of Evening Rush Action @ Forest Hills

Postby RGlueck » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:44 pm

This is first modern era LIRR film that has captured my imagination n any way. I really enjoyed it. Two hours was a bit long, but there was variation in equipmnt and your use of the clocks during the film was very effective. I can tell you, the LIRR is not as interesting to me today, as it was in the 1960's, but I think most people would agreee with that opinion. Still, the equipment appeared to be in good repair, certainly quieter than in my youth, and the additional lighting and modernization both colorful and helpful.

The older station is a treat as are those beautiful PRR position lights!
RGlueck

Postby MACTRAXX » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:57 pm

FR and RG:

Forest Hills (and for that matter Kew Gardens) is a good place to watch LIRR trains during weekday rush hours.
The only problem at FH is the curve east of FH when it comes to westbound trains which travel at MAS through there when
they do not stop. The only drawback is the LIRR using only three types of passenger equipment - the M3 and M7 MU cars and
the DE/DM30s and C3 cars in diesel train service. It is convenient to get to noting that the NYCT 71/Continental station on the
E,F,M and R Subway lines is only blocks away along with the LIRR trains that stop there.

I agree that Forest Hills is a station that is of a nice design - I will add that literally the best station signs on the entire LIRR are
at FH which are the 2 wrought iron(?) signs on both platforms in the center of the Continental Avenue overpass. When the FH
Station was renovated these two signs were preserved as part and during the actual work project they were kept stored at
the worksite chained up under lock and key so they could not be stolen by either souvenir hunters or metal scavengers.

I will compare trainspotting at either FH and KG to Metro North's Harlem-125th Street Station which is much more interesting
because of MNCR's equipment variety as compared to what the LIRR has to offer. Both places are good to watch trains at
and there is lack of any dull moments during busy weekday peak commuting times. MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby nyandw » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:50 pm

Well done. Very steady and the zoom in on the curve was very nice. Enjoyed the night action and the PRR position light signals. :-)
nyandw

Postby Crabman1130 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:08 pm

I have no interest in railfaning the LIRR anymore. It's the same 3 types of passenger equipment with hardly an variation.
At least the old fleets had variations in the consists. Maybe a MP54 combine led, or the Morris Park trailed. Maybe an F unit was coupled in front or behind a GP38-2. Double headed power.

Now it's all the same.
Crabman1130

Postby rr503 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:51 am

Whelp, it's better than watching subway trains so I'll take what I can get.
rr503

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)