Flying Kia hits railroad snow plow, Ronkonkoma 3.3.2017

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Flying Kia hits railroad snow plow, Ronkonkoma 3.3.2017

Postby bellstbarn » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:47 am

Sorry, but Newsday is behind a pay wall.
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/crash-into-ronkonkoma-lirr-train-yard-injures-woman-police-say-1.13204016

Early morning, Friday the 3rd of March, 2017, a 19-year-old driver sent her Kia flying over an embankment on Railroad Avenue, Ronkonkoma. The car struck a LIRR snow plow (wedge? rotary?), then overturned, the driver hurt. Weird event. The photo shows the name Harsco on the plow.
bellstbarn

Re: Flying Kia hits railroad snow plow, Ronkonkoma 3.3.2017

Postby MattAmity90 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:04 pm

bellstbarn wrote:Sorry, but Newsday is behind a pay wall.
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/crash-into-ronkonkoma-lirr-train-yard-injures-woman-police-say-1.13204016

Early morning, Friday the 3rd of March, 2017, a 19-year-old driver sent her Kia flying over an embankment on Railroad Avenue, Ronkonkoma. The car struck a LIRR snow plow (wedge? rotary?), then overturned, the driver hurt. Weird event. The photo shows the name Harsco on the plow.

She hit a Darth Vader, and in my lifetime I have never heard of an incident like this happening. Riding the railroad for almost 25 years, and never heard of something that bizarre. It looks like something out of the video game Grand Theft Auto V. I would say alcohol was involved or drugs were definitely a contribution to this.

Also as a side note, this is the second time this week I've heard of an accident involving a vehicle flying over an embankment. Here's the other one, it happened in Louisiana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZRERh3NYxU
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby murfunit » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:50 pm

In the mid to late 1960's before the grade crossings were eliminated in Amityville, a souped up car went racing through the village northbound on Route 110. The grade crossing had a bit of a crown to it. So the car hit it hard, went into the air, leaving its engine sitting on the crown of the crossing. The vehicle landed north of the tracks sans engine.
murfunit

Postby mwichten » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:23 am

mwichten

Postby MattAmity90 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:43 pm

murfunit wrote:In the mid to late 1960's before the grade crossings were eliminated in Amityville, a souped up car went racing through the village northbound on Route 110. The grade crossing had a bit of a crown to it. So the car hit it hard, went into the air, leaving its engine sitting on the crown of the crossing. The vehicle landed north of the tracks sans engine.

Wow, and I'm guessing that Route 110 was a four-lane crossing? I have taken a look at the old 110 crossing where the tracks used to be at grade (current ROW, not the temporary) and I could see a bit of a bump.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)