Ideal Toy Location?

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Ideal Toy Location?

Postby nyandw » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:11 pm

I have this photo: Image
August 1975 and located in Hollis: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrtrackmaps/lirrmaps1966/JamaicaFreight20.jpg Location 28A or 49?
nyandw

Re: Ideal Toy Location at Hillside

Postby MACTRAXX » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:59 pm

Steve:

The picture you posted is now near the Hillside Facility Station area looking northwesterly.
Back then this was considered to be Holban Yard. Today MU cars are stored there.

The former Ideal Toy Company building is still there - titled "RODLESS" using those same large
red letters. Ideal Toy moved to Harmon Meadow,NJ in 1982. Ideal merged into Mattel in 1997
and became defunct. Anyone who grew up in the 50s,60s and 70s more then likely remembers
at least some of the products of the Ideal Toy Company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_Toy_Company

MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Re: Ideal Toy Location?

Postby nyandw » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:19 am

MACTRAXX wrote:Steve: The picture you posted is now at the Hillside Facility Station area looking northwesterly.
Back then this was considered to be Holban Yard. Today MU cars are stored there. MAXTRAXX

Yup, but let's have folks figure out if it is LIRR map Location 28A or 49, and why? :-)
August 1975 and located in Hollis: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrtrackmaps/lirrmaps1966/JamaicaFreight20.jpg Location 28A or 49?

Best,
nyandw

Re: Ideal Toy Location at Hillside

Postby MACTRAXX » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:32 am

Steve:

From reference to the track map Ideal Toy is 62 and 63. The freight cars in the picture block the
view of the four track Main Line at that point. The Ideal Toy Company building was/is north of the
Main Line tracks there. Locations 28A and 49 are off the Montauk Branch. Back in the 60s Ideal
Toy may have had another facility or building adjacent taking note to the two added sidings.

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby frankie » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:12 am

Definitely Location 63. Ideal was located on the south side of Jamaica Ave between 184th Place & 185th St. Note the water towers in the areal photo - same ones from the original photo. It looks like the skylights were recently added.
Attachments
Ideal 2.JPG
Ideal 1.JPG
Mineola, NY is my real home, however I live 60 miles from Mineola, MO. No LIRR here!
frankie

Postby BuddR32 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:16 pm

I was going to open a similar thread on this, which I'll get to below.

The Ideal Toy building and the building that says "RODLESS" on the front are two different buildings, adjacent and attached. I dont know if they were the same company, but they are two different buildings. The RODLESS building 'skylights's as mentioned earlier in this thread is in actuality a full greenhouse built on the roof of the building. At night it is very brightly lit and has huge exhaust fans on the south side of the greenhouse.

What I have been looking at lately and was going to ask here is about the IDEAL BUILDING, as it says on the Jamaica Ave facade above the entrance, is about the siding that served it. The tracks are still there by the freight dock of the Ideal Building, and of course today stop short of the mainline tracks, even before leaving the building property. The siding is very low, there is a significant drop north of the station platform. It seems to me that the slope to the mainline tracks would have been a significant grade. I can only guess that the siding had a linger gradual slope down, and this siding connected to the LIRR closer to the 183rd St overpass, perhaps even west of it. Much probably changed with the construction of Hillside.

Does anyone know how this siding connected or when it was severed?

EDIT** Perhaps I should have looked at the map before I asked. But a new question, how long ago was the mainline only two tracks?
BuddR32

Postby krispy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:10 pm

Budd32, that was taken from a company document which listed sidings and for the sake of brevity showed only 2 of the 4 main tracks and also none of the tracks in the main part of Holban. It was definitely 4 tracks then on the Mainline. Going back to Steve's original question, that's a tough one, as when I first looked at the map, I would've said the photographer was in the main part of Holban looking Northeast. 28A is part of what was called the "Waterworks" siding (in place until they 261'd the Montauk about 2000-ish for storing track equipment temporarily) and would've been sandwiched in between buildings facing South. If I was looking North from the Waterworks siding you would see the Montauk Branch in front of this view. 49 is the next best answer but according to the map it looks like the stub-ended sidings facing the South side of Jamaica Ave sandwiched in between the factory with the paint advertisement still showing on it's side. What's the story Steve?

Interesting in that at one time Ideal had 3 locations in that area all with sidings. It must have been tough for the freight crew to work the sidings along the North side of ML3, where you can see the factories in the background of the first picture. They would have go East after working the siding, as there was no way for Hall to get the freight on 10 or 11 from ML3 and they couldn't go through Jamaica station account of canopy strikes. Also, a straight move on ML3 nowadays also means a quick removal of the cupola on Queens. At one time in the past Hollis Interlocking extended across all of the Mainline so it wouldn't have been a big deal, but at some time they reduced it to what it is now (ML4 and the Lead) so the freight working that siding would've had to reverse back to Queens. Can't imagine that happening without delaying a local. The first time I stood on that platform (ML3 side of present day HIllside station) I was impressed at what business used to be there, and now it's just weeds and feral cats.
krispy

Postby nyandw » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:54 pm

Good stuff: Here's the 1958 Emery map: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/hillside/Emery-Map-2-Hillside-Hollis-HolbanYardtoMP12.jpg

and another view: Image
#495793 worktrain Holban Yard, Hollis 02-06-49 Photo: George Votava Collection: Keller

Emery indicates a 9/10 car sidings (tracks removed inside bldg 1950). Seems the siding(s) would have had a grade...
nyandw

Postby nyandw » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:43 pm

Krispy: "... If I was looking North from the Waterworks siding you would see the Montauk Branch in front of this view. 49 is the next best answer but according to the map it looks like the stub-ended sidings facing the South side of Jamaica Ave sandwiched in between the factory with the paint advertisement still showing on it's side. What's the story Steve?.."

I came upon the MOW #495793 worktrain Holban Yard, Hollis 02-06-49 Photo: George Votava Collection: Keller and determined it was location #62-63. The track config and sun shadows are clues. The color photo is the item in question and I "thought", perhaps, it was taken at Location 28A or 49; thus the inquiry. Frankie provided the clue about the water towers. :-) The water towers in my photo post do not match the current Bing Bird's Eye view, however, after looking at Bing Bird's Eye view, the clue was the odd stack above the IC boxcar. It clearly shows in the following:

Image and thus
The older wooden water tanks have been replaced by the white steel cylindrical flat top version.
MACTRAXX had it correct. :-) "...The picture you posted is now near the Hillside Facility Station area looking northwesterly..." :-)
nyandw

Postby Crabman1130 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:46 pm

nyandw wrote: Image
#495793 worktrain Holban Yard, Hollis 02-06-49 Photo: George Votava Collection: Keller

What kind of car is this and what did it do?
Crabman1130

Postby Backshophoss » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:56 pm

Believe it's a flanger,for plowing snow between the rails.
Backshophoss

Postby nyandw » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:58 pm

Backshophoss wrote:Believe it's a flanger,for plowing snow between the rails.

Yes, it is: Snow Flanger Cars 495744, 495745, 495746, 495772, 495773, 495791,
495792, 495793
nyandw

Postby Crabman1130 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:36 am

Now I see it has a plow. I didn't know what that was.

Does anyone know the color of the car and the lettering?
Crabman1130

Postby nyandw » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:37 pm

Crabman1130 wrote:Now I see it has a plow. I didn't know what that was. Does anyone know the color of the car and the lettering?

B40 ex #660 Snow Scraper #495791 Archive: Art Huneke Converted 1934-35

B40 ex #664 Snow Scraper #495793 Archive: Art Huneke Converted 1934-35 Renumbered W91 1/1960 Scrapped 10/1967 Info: Dave Keller

Seems MOW Gray, SP Daylight Orange Door, Black lettering. If you model it, please post it! Additional B/W photos/info:
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/B40%20Baggage%20Cars/B40%20Baggage%20Cars.htm
nyandw

Postby freightguy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:54 am

Tough to read the consignees, but I think the Langer chemical siding on the north side of mainline 3 was only ripped out maybe in the last 20 years?
Signed off
freightguy

Next

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)