Brooklyn Terminal Market

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Brooklyn Terminal Market

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:59 am

Haven't seen much photos or details of rail service at Brooklyn Terminal Market. The Brooklyn Terminal Market was dedicated by Mayor LaGuardia in 1942 and based on the aerial of the market facility, none of the buildings were designed for direct rail service. However, there is a small rail loading platform at the market's northwest corner and photos have occasionally seen reefers on the platform, which would require transload by forklift or pallet jack to the main terminal market (no crossdock platform).

If the Brooklyn Terminal Market was built around 1942 after the Bay Ridge Branch had already existed, why weren't the buildings and the Terminal Market itself designed for direct rail access? (as in the case of Hunts Point) This is rather puzzling. Even 1950s and 60s aerials still only have the rail service on a stub siding without accessing the market itself, requiring a transload platform separate from the market buildings. Hunts Point Market is directly served by CSX (originally New Haven and Conrail).
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Re: Brooklyn Terminal Market

Postby 4behind2 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:51 am

BTM was actually quite active. The building being renovated/torn down was the Key Food warehouse, which held about four cars. This was switched most days. The two remaining westward team tracks were for Tony Pagano, and most occasions had reefers of potatoes and onions.

The team tracks were the site of an incident. It was common practice to "drop" the Pagano cars without air before switching Key Food, provided the handbrakes worked. In the late 1980's, the handbrake failed while the Brakeman was riding the car in, smashing into a new Cadillac Seville.
4behind2

Postby Teutobergerwald » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:15 am

When was this last served by NYA ?
Searching for the eagles of the XVII,XVIII & XIX Legions in Germania.
Teutobergerwald

Postby murfunit » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:57 pm

One of the different jobs I worked when I was younger was installing security cameras. In 1983 our team was installing security cameras at the Key Food Warehouse in the Brooklyn Terminal Market and I recall box cars/reefers coming directly inside the back end of the warehouse. I believe a Conrail switcher was doing the switching chores then. In fact while we worked in the area I saw a lot of freight activity belonging to the LIRR and Conrail that I didn't know existed, even the New Lots interchange.
murfunit

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)