What's being scrapped?

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: What's being scrapped?

Postby ConstanceR46 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:50 am

deandremouse wrote:https://www.facebook.com/OBRRM/posts/10154556021942331

Gosh golly gee, let's just scrap things willy nilly just because we want to!

God LI museums are horrible esp just throwing away one of the last M1 sets.
ConstanceR46

Postby Backshophoss » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:45 am

Near the end of service of the MP 72's/75's car fleet,the cars got very basic maintenance,enough to stay FRA legal,but starting to
have structure issues,then after the C-3's finally went in service,most of the cars were sent to equipment brokers for resale.
Most of the cars sent to the brokers were scrapped after sitting unused for years.
The 2 M-1's used as Sandite cars are hulks,most of the onboard gear was removed,and interior hacked to pieces for the Sandite equipment.
The NYC Transit Museum has no building or secure yard location for their M-1 pair and the 2 coaches,and maybe too far gone for restoration
The RMLI M-1 pair will be a static display at Riverhead. If you have the time stop at the LIE(I-495) rest area,LOOK
at the condition of the 2 ping-pongs there.

For better or worse,it's not always possible save everything due to lack of space,funding $$$$,and time/manpower needed to maintain. :(
Backshophoss

Postby MADDOG » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:20 am

ConstanceR46 wrote:
deandremouse wrote:https://www.facebook.com/OBRRM/posts/10154556021942331

Gosh golly gee, let's just scrap things willy nilly just because we want to!

God LI museums are horrible esp just throwing away one of the last M1 sets.

Just as a frame of reference-
Please re-read who owns the m1 set of cars-NOT OBRM or RMLI. It's the NY Transit Museum who should have never asked for them. They have no place to put them.
As for scrapping willy nilly, almost all of the equipment is owned by the LIRR/MTA and they have rules and regulations imposed upon them by laws.
There is a set of M1's at RMLI.
You can't save everything! Sad, but true, especially given that folks do not contribute enough to their preservation/restoration/upkeep.
MADDOG
MADDOG

Postby MADDOG » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:22 am

Backshophoss wrote:Near the end of service of the MP 72's/75's car fleet,the cars got very basic maintenance,enough to stay FRA legal,but starting to
have structure issues,then after the C-3's finally went in service,most of the cars were sent to equipment brokers for resale.
Most of the cars sent to the brokers were scrapped after sitting unused for years.
The 2 M-1's used as Sandite cars are hulks,most of the onboard gear was removed,and interior hacked to pieces for the Sandite equipment.
The NYC Transit Museum has no building or secure yard location for their M-1 pair and the 2 coaches,and maybe too far gone for restoration
The RMLI M-1 pair will be a static display at Riverhead. If you have the time stop at the LIE(I-495) rest area,LOOK
at the condition of the 2 ping-pongs there.

For better or worse,it's not always possible save everything due to lack of space,funding $$$$,and time/manpower needed to maintain. :(

Hoss?
no pings on the LIE-There was only the one unit on the east bound side and it was scrapped quite a few years ago. The state offered it up to OBRM, but we declined.
MADDOG
MADDOG

Postby Backshophoss » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:36 pm

Remember that car was not in great condition the last time I was on the Island(that was at least 5 years ago),I had always thought there
were 2 Pings saved,the other was at another "rest area" on the island.
At least there were some rare parts saved from the cars to be scrapped.
The Transit Museum NEVER had plan for their pair of M-1' s(of public knowledge) nor any kind of secure Facility to display them.
The Subway cars and Busses are housed around the the subway system shops and bus depots when not at Court St in Brooklyn.
Backshophoss

Postby ConstanceR46 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:08 pm

Backshophoss wrote:Remember that car was not in great condition the last time I was on the Island(that was at least 5 years ago),I had always thought there
were 2 Pings saved,the other was at another "rest area" on the island.
At least there were some rare parts saved from the cars to be scrapped.
The Transit Museum NEVER had plan for their pair of M-1' s(of public knowledge) nor any kind of secure Facility to display them.
The Subway cars and Busses are housed around the the subway system shops and bus depots when not at Court St in Brooklyn.

There's another ping on Rt.112. A motor one. It's in good shape.

Honestly i'm hoping that this is clearing up space for a SW1001 protect engine or some other. They've just been sitting around, it would be real nice if they'd be preserved.
ConstanceR46

Previous

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)