Where is this location?

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Where is this location?

Postby nyandw » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:06 pm

Can we ID this location with the Coal bunker in the background and what appears to be a "Train Order Signal" on the mast of the position light signal? :-)

Shadows indicate this is an eastbound engine. The trees in front of coal bunker and bunker all in sunlight and the shovel against the crossing shanty.
The Train order light indicates the station is back behind the curve. Thanks folks.
nyandw

Re: Where is this location?

Postby SwingMan » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:36 pm

Looks like it could be the home signal at Divide Interlocking, with the order board being for Divide Tower.
SwingMan

Postby nyandw » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:00 pm

SwingMan wrote:Looks like it could be the home signal at Divide Interlocking, with the order board being for Divide Tower.

Thank you :-) as it helped solve the puzzle. It's a view N at E. Nicholai Street with the Griffin and Rushmore Coal Elevator c.1950 in the background at the SW corner of Woodbury Rd. and Bay Ave. Posted to Hicksville: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/hicksville/hicksville.htm
nyandw

Postby frankie » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:43 pm

According to the trainsarefun website, the train is indeed eastbound and just getting ready to cross E. Nicholai St. Google maps seems to show that the coal elevator may have been located at the corner of where Bay tees into E. Marie St. The streetview shows the approximate position today where the engine would have been at ground level just about to cross E. Nicholai. The elevator would have been located in the background in the bottom photo.

Frankie
Attachments
E Nicholai St Hicksville.JPG
E Nicholai St Hicksville 1.JPG
Mineola, NY is my real home, however I live 60 miles from Mineola, MO. No LIRR here!
frankie

Postby nyandw » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:25 pm

Last edited by nyandw on Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nyandw

Postby frankie » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:42 pm

Definitely looks like it's heading southeastwards toward Bethpage after leaving Hicksville. I doubt that it's on the Port Jefferson branch.

Frankie
Mineola, NY is my real home, however I live 60 miles from Mineola, MO. No LIRR here!
frankie

Postby nyandw » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:27 pm

frankie wrote:Definitely looks like it's heading southeastwards toward Bethpage after leaving Hicksville. I doubt that it's on the Port Jefferson branch.Frankie

I've indicated it is on the main at E. Nicholai and posted same prior. This part of the thread pertains to the caol bunker location. The maps indicate the location of the coal bunker as having the siding off the Port Jeff branch and it's probable location. Please view them. ;-)
nyandw

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)