Freedom Ticket

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Freedom Ticket

Postby rr503 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:52 pm

Looks like the LIRR is going to try something new (!)

http://www.amny.com/transit/freedom-tic ... 1.13078196
rr503

Re: Freedom Ticket

Postby MACTRAXX » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:15 am

503 and Everyone:

From reading the article this looks like a test program only involving seven Atlantic Branch
stations in Brooklyn and Queens:

Atlantic Terminal, Nostrand Avenue, East New York, Jamaica, Locust Manor, Laurelton
and Rosedale.

It remains to be seen what these new fares actually will be and when they will be in effect -
I am thinking weekday off-peak fares in similarity to the City Ticket $4.25 one way price along
with a lower priced combination MetroCard/LIRR monthly or weekly ticket as fare options...

If this turns out to be successful -and the City of New York is willing to fund this program- look
for all Queens stations to gain this fare option for the Main Line (Woodside,Forest Hills and Kew
Gardens), Hempstead Branch (Hollis and Queens Village) and Port Washington Branch (NYP to
Little Neck) to be offered these new lower fare options. The MTA may also offer these same new
fare options for MNCR Bronx commuters on the Hudson and Harlem Lines.

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby rr503 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:30 am

Yes. It's just a pilot.

IIRC the fare will be $6.50, so just like exp buses. Monthlies will be $215, but that gets you subway, bus, commuter rail for one price.
rr503

Postby NIMBYkiller » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:00 pm

I'm glad to see the LIRR giving this a shot. This is going to be the most effective way to bring quicker transportation to these areas that the LIRR already passes through. The fares as they are currently set up stifles potential ridership so I'm excited to see what the final test product ends up being
NIMBYkiller

Postby DogBert » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:03 pm

rr503 wrote:Yes. It's just a pilot.

IIRC the fare will be $6.50, so just like exp buses. Monthlies will be $215, but that gets you subway, bus, commuter rail for one price.

Wow, that's waaaaay too high I think for the population along this pilot route. Begs the question if this pilot isn't designed to fail.

I'd be curious to see that pilot in northern queens - places like forest hills and flushing would probably attract riders due to subway crowding.
DogBert

Postby Crabman1130 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:06 pm

Going to turn the LIRR into the subway, with all the good that goes with it.
Crabman1130

Postby NIMBYkiller » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:26 pm

Honestly, the city has to make dew with what's available. The subways are beyond overcrowded, Queens Blvd and the 7 especially, and LIRR is capable of relieving some of that strain. Not to say LIRR isn't plenty crowded, but there aren't many other options. And in the case of this pilot program, you're bringing rail service at a reasonable rate to an area that right now doesn't have any. I love the LIRR for all its character and variety in the schedules and service, but when the opportunity exists to address a long standing need, things have to change.
NIMBYkiller

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:59 pm

Trademark violation on PATCO (FREEDOM Card)?
rr503 wrote:Monthlies will be $215, but that gets you subway, bus, commuter rail for one price.

Exactly like MBTA, with all service in city limits (Zone 1A) one fare and valid with all monthly/weekly passes.

Finally a step forward.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)