Old Equipment in Port Jeff

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: Old Equipment in Port Jeff

Postby deandremouse » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:05 am

I feel after those two people did that urbex video, this equipment got a lot of unwanted negative attention. I see the LIRR plated over the doors.
-DeAndre W.
Volunteer Conductor
(MTA) Railroads
Electrical Engineering Tech
deandremouse

Postby LINYARailfan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:32 am

2909 and 2966 were moved out of Port Jefferson as of last week. I don't know what is going to happen to them in the near future? All I know is that they were moved to Arch Street shops. Are they going to be restored or cut up for scrap like all of the decommissioned sitting there?
LINYARailfan

Postby MADDOG » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:47 pm

LINYARailfan wrote:2909 and 2966 were moved out of Port Jefferson as of last week. I don't know what is going to happen to them in the near future? All I know is that they were moved to Arch Street shops. Are they going to be restored or cut up for scrap like all of the decommissioned sitting there?

They are scheduled for scrapping soon.
MADDOG
MADDOG

Postby DogBert » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:16 pm

Are the M3s at Arch st. also going?

They currently have some flats with track materials in the former freight transload area, while the gons and diesel coaches are a little further back. I imagine they'll want to shuffle them around a bit to facilitate the work.
DogBert

Postby jhdeasy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:47 pm

MADDOG wrote:
LINYARailfan wrote:2909 and 2966 were moved out of Port Jefferson as of last week. I don't know what is going to happen to them in the near future? All I know is that they were moved to Arch Street shops. Are they going to be restored or cut up for scrap like all of the decommissioned sitting there?

They are scheduled for scrapping soon.
MADDOG

This looks like an opportunity for someone with ready cash to acquire a P72 coach for a price close to scrap value. If the railroad is going to scrap these two cars, then they may be willing to accept an unsolicited purchase offer for scrap value or a somewhat higher amount. They could even make some additional money with an additional services contract to complete an air brake system COTS and any other work required by the FRA for a new owner to move the car from LIRR to a new home, in freight service.
jhdeasy

Postby Ðauntless » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:39 pm

They are junk. Scrap. Let them die in pieces. They should take care of some others while they are at it..
"Mulligan I said 3 minutes!"
Ðauntless

Postby GojiMet86 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:22 pm

Sitting at Arch Street.

ImageIMG_2360 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2361 by GojiMet86, on Flickr
GojiMet86

Postby Dump The Air » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:16 am

jhdeasy wrote:This looks like an opportunity for someone with ready cash to acquire a P72 coach for a price close to scrap value

there's been an opportunity to do that for nearly 20 years now, these cars are in horrible shape. let em die. plenty of these things living second and third lives at this point.
Dump The Air

Previous

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)