Smokin' It Up!

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Smokin' It Up!

Postby nyandw » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:29 pm

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Smoke/smoke.htm
I bit of smoking fun via the LIRR... :-)

lirr #105 Freight #-L-80 Lynbrook view W 3/03/1946 Photo: Rod Dirkes
nyandw

Re: Smokin' It Up!

Postby RGlueck » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:35 am

Back in 1955, my father who was a minor official at the time, argued to save an H-10s and keep it out east for snow melter service. His suggestion was refused by upper management, and as we all know we were darned lucky to get two G5's for display purposes. Nothing to add to official histories, as it was just office talk at the time. So it went.
RGlueck

Postby MACTRAXX » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:04 pm

Steve:

Interesting photo of a steam powered freight train heading east into Lynbrook...

The tip offs of the location are third rails, steel power poles and the gradient which is essentially
the same today. Without these features this could have been anywhere on the PRR system...

With the reference of smoking we must give members of the ALCO Diesel locomotives fleet their
due remembering that for a period of around a decade (mid 60s into mid 70s) the LIRR was a all
ALCO railroad after the FM fleet was replaced until the EMDs fully took over in 1976-77...

I will remember the mention that ALCO Diesels were "honorary steam locomotives" with their
exhaust smoke especially when they were starting up - and they had their own unique sounds.

It is hard to believe it has been 25 years since the last of the C420s were retired and afterwards
the remaining FA "power packs" were replaced during the decade of the 90s with the old car fleet.

MACTRAXX
P.S. Happy Holidays 2016 to all here at the LIRR Forum!!!
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby tj48 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:35 am

I was too young to see steam engines on the LIRR but I also remember the C420's. For many years I would go with my Mom to pick up my Dad at Wyandanch station when the station was just west of Straight Path. We would wait in the small lot (long since removed) to the east of Straight path alongside Long Island Ave. As we waited for my Dad to walk up the the car those C420's would come thundering by pouring out smoke as the train was accelerating for the grade between Wyandanch and Deer Park.
tj48

Postby nyandw » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:15 pm

Added about 25 photos with some "Serious Smoking": http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Smoke/smoke.htm
C420 #217 New Hyde Park 7/1/1976 Photo: Richard Reichenbach

H10s #113 Freight #-L56 "Climbing the Hill" at Cold Spring Harbor 1954 (Huneke-Keller)
nyandw

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)