CAN ANYONE PLEASE PROVIDE ME WITH INFO!

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

CAN ANYONE PLEASE PROVIDE ME WITH INFO!

Postby ddbeek » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:36 am

Goodday to you all,

I am anxious at the moment. I applied for the CAM/OILER position October 28, 2016 which eventually closed on November 1 as well as the Assistant Stationmaster position on November 27 which closed on December 7, 2016 also just applied to the Pass Office Clerk Position which is still open. Can someone please tell me how long before you hear from the LIRR. Every time I check my status on their portal it says applied but the screening results section is blank. I am a 27 year old minority (black) with over 4 years 9 months experience in customer service/sales, some maintenance aspects and leadership/supervisory roles for the number one private retailer in the world. Also the branch I work at has the highest output volume per square foot in the world for that retailer, as well as an AS in Engineering Science with over 45 credits completed. So I believe I meet the requirements for these positions I am applying for. How hard is it to get into these roles and what type of people do they hire? Can anyone please share their call back time for an interview?
ddbeek

Re: CAN ANYONE PLEASE PROVIDE ME WITH INFO!

Postby inthebag » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:57 am

You've done everything you can. All you can do now is wait. Nothing happens quickly in regards to employment on the railroad. Good luck.
inthebag

Postby FrankAndCindy » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:07 am

Hello, It takes a while to get hired on the LIRR. BE patient. The job is worth it.Continue with your education. Best regards and good luck. Frank & Cindy.
FrankAndCindy

Postby ddbeek » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:13 pm

Thanks for the above responses. I read on a forum that the Railroads are indeed slow with hiring practices. However, it is truly worth it. The good thing is that I am single meaning not married or have any kids so the railroad lifestyle suits me perfectly as I am used to working various shifts but the sacrifice I can make for the next 3 to 5 years by building up seniority before a steady schedule is priceless. The pay, the benefits are beyond amazing as you would be hard pressed to find another career which doesn't require extensive schooling to offer such. Also, with the rising costs of schooling and advanced education this seems like a very good alternative. Call me crazy but even my résumé I literally spent a week and a half crafting/editing to make sure it is up to standard/perfect for these positions. But you know the saying, anything worth having is worth working hard and waiting for as my stepfather would say. Sometimes I wonder if I am too young as it seems as if they like to hire older people.
ddbeek

Postby krispy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:14 pm

Indeed it takes a while - 1.5 years for me, but that was the '90's and things have got better. I was lucky as I came off of a deployment so I didn't have roots down, but that was a looooong wait. Even with that, it's been a great job. As long as you know you are getting into (working nights, weekends and holidays, etc.) it can be a great job.
krispy

Postby ddbeek » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:06 pm

Hello Krispy,

I see that your join date is from 2004 so you are a vet to this. However, would you like to share your position or positions held throughout your tenure thus far? Seems that in no time you should be retiring. How long did you have to work to build up seniority in order to receive a steady schedule and how is the life of overtime by which you guys are crucified for in the annual Newsday articles.
ddbeek

Postby ddbeek » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:30 am

Feel free to chime in anyone .. Your responses are welcomed.
ddbeek

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)