LIRR Route for Open Rails released

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

LIRR Route for Open Rails released

Postby vince » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:32 am

I have uploaded the Long Island Rail Road to the File Library at trainsim.com.

LIRR screengrabs here: http://www.trainsim.com/vbts/album.php?albumid=248

After my upload is virus scanned and inspected at the trainsim.com site, it will be available as a freeware download to all who want to run trains on the Long Island Rail Road constructed using the Emery Maps.

The virus scan/inspection may take a few days. Holiday, remember?

ALL tracks used by the LIRR West of a roughly N/S line from Mineola to Long Beach are accurately modeled in the route.
The Oyster Bay was just started building as far as East Williston when I stopped construction to get a Beta Test on the progress so far.

The route presently has a total 400+ track miles installed as measured by the MSTSMiles Utility.

The wonderful Emery Track Map Collection was used for route construction. The Bay Ridge Branch has a large amount of industry sidings, all marked with the actual company name.

The Central branch extends to Salisbury Plain. The Zekendorf spur is there too!
Many, many industry sidings. A veritable freight switching lovers dream!
All passenger stations are marked.
The Rockaway Beach line is alive and well
The route covers the period 1945 to 1955, Steam, Diesel, Electric passenger and freight.

No LIRR models are used in this beta test version.
I leave that to the user to install the many fine models of available LIRR equipment.
Most of the models designed to run with this simulator are free for all to download and run in the route.
The route is designed to run under the freeware Open Rails Train Simulator as a Public Beta Test.
The route documentation explains it all.

A link to the OpenRails.org website is included in the LIRR install package.
At this site you can obtain the freeware Open Rails Train Simulator. Google 'open rails' and you'll get a ton of helpful information.

The LIRR install package is a single 503MB zip file. The zip file extracts to an installer, 2 information text and 1 picture. The route install to any folder the user chooses. I suggest the Desktop. Visible, easy to use in Open Rails too.
Here's a screen grab of the LILCO Coal Activity, here returning with 30 empties to the Bay Ridge Yards after setting out 1900 tons of black diamonds and a 96 ton tank of chlorine at 'The Light'.

Open Rails LILCo Coal Empties.jpg
After setting out 1900 tons at 'The Light' we return to Bay Ridge with 39 empties + Hack.

Pardon the rolling stock used to test the route but I couldn't talk the management empty suits out of a newer engine. :(
A story of an engine.
Anyway I found this old beat up geep laying on a farm. The farmer, Harold Clitheroe gave it to me when I told him it would ride the rails once again. I hooked up a trailer to my '01 Dodge Dakota (with towing package) and dragged that old geep back to Jamaica where the RR kindly lent me a track at Morris. Me, being and old gear head I swapped out the old geep genset with a modified (superchargers, ForgeTrue pistons and a stroker crank 2500hp SD40 engine/MagFlow alternator, Turing-Spandel 100kW mercury rectifiers, Edison series/parallel proton filters, a Watson superconducting ductless controller and 4x200hp OttO rotating cage magnetic monopole studded traction motors. :wink:

The websites run by the folks who populate this forum were the main source of information on the LIRR. The route could not have been built without you. Thank you so much for providing and sharing your knowledge with me.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Regards,
vince cockeram
vince

Re: LIRR Route for Open Rails released

Postby RGlueck » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:37 am

I hope I can figure out how to install the basic operators package, then add your LIRR route! This has to be a labor of love! Thanks for taking the time -no, MAKING the time to create this for us!

Dick Glueck
Winterport, Maine
RGlueck

Postby RGlueck » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:09 am

I am unable to find the download package. Advice?
RGlueck

Postby vince » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:59 pm

RGlueck wrote:I am unable to find the download package. Advice?

No problem!
1. Go to the trainsim.com site >>>==> http://www.trainsim.com/vbts/forum.php
2. Near the top of page select File Library
3. Select 'Hot Files' and scroll down to lirr_install.zip
4. Select lirr_install.zip It's a 503 MB download!
5. Download the 503 MB zip file to your Desktop.

++ After you have the zip file on your desktop:
1. Extract the zip to your desktop by double clicking on the zip and direct the extracted file to your Desktop.
A new folder will appear on your Desktop with four files inside. Open the folder and carefully read the LIRR_READ_ME_FIRST.txt file.
Most of the answers to your questions are there. If not, please ask here in this thread or via email if you prefer.
I need your feedback for the continuing construction of the route. Oyster Bay is next! All maps and photos on hand.

++Now as to getting and installing the Open Rails Train Simulator you need to run the LIRR route.++
++Go here to download the Open Rails Installer.

http://openrails.org/download/program/
I'm using the latest testing version and it runs very well on my windows 10 system. The download page has machine requirements needed to have a smooth running Simulator.

Direct the install again, to your desktop. Please read the instructions.
I have been running this train simulator community developed Sim now for more than two years and it's amazing for someone who had to struggle to get Microsoft Train Sim to run more detailed models where Open Rails ( OR ) has no problem and is such an easy install.

There is a Detailed PDF Open Rails Manual with the install.
You can access it from the Tools button on the Open Rails opening screen, down near the bottom.
Take some time to explore whats available under the Options button.
Also under the Tools Button is Track Viewer (Contributed). You can direct Track Viewer to load the LIRR Route's Track Map, generated from the routes database files. You can zoom in up close and personal all around the route able to display siding and platform names and much more!

best regards,
vince cockeram
vince

Postby RGlueck » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:03 am

I'll get on this today! Thanks for the thorough installation instructions!
RGlueck

Postby vince » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:00 pm

Your welcome.

Here's a correction to my previous post regarding how to access the Open Rails Manual:

As posted:
There is a Detailed PDF Open Rails Manual with the install.
You can access it from the Tools button on the Open Rails opening screen, down near the bottom.

Should read ----[ "........You can access it from the Documents button...................."]
Please continue to post any concerns or gripes. All will be cheerfully responded to.
Healthy Holidays to all.
regards,
vince cockeram
Lost Wages, Nevada

Long Island City Car Float Docks/Yard
http://www.trainsim.com/vbts/album.php? ... ntid=64246
vince

Postby RGlueck » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:56 am

And it runs! Thanks for your assistance in getting me going.

Is it possible to add LIRR locomotives and cars to the simulation as well? If so, how do I manipulate those files? BTW, Open Rails is far easier to install and operate than MSTS ever was!
RGlueck

Postby vince » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:38 pm

t possible to add LIRR locomotives and cars to the simulation as well? If so, how do I manipulate those files? BTW, Open Rails is far easier to install and operate than MSTS ever was!

Good Morning,

Wonderful! Take some time to learn the small differences operating OR. The F1 Help screen is your first thing to look and The Open Rails Manual provides detailed information.
The Instructions that come with downloads should be read carefully. If you have questions ask!
I will promptly respond either here in the forum or via email if you prefer. All email communications kept confidential.
Please visit the forums at trainsim.com
Already there have are pictures posted with proper LIRR stock rolling on the route. Some of the stuff I didn't know existed but there thay are.

Running M-1's and such? Nope. Too many low platforms.
But here's an easy project for any tinkerer.
Use the new GOKU Route Editor to simply raise the track level platforms if you want a modern genre LIRR.

Now some detail:
Press F! to open the Help. There is a way to export the help list so's you can print it.

++ As to adding the correct rolling stock;
I'm glad to hear you are familiar with MSTS because Open Rails uses exactly the same folder setup that MSTS used!
The train sets are contained in the \TRAINS\TRAINSET folder. Please open the folder and explore to see how they are arranged.

There is a lot of vintage LIRR equipment available MP-54, C-Liners, coaches MP15 and more. Here a link to my LIRR photo Album at the TrainSim.com site 60 photos and some of them do show the rolling stock.

http://www.trainsim.com/vbts/album.php?albumid=248

Most of these pictures are from MSTS but it IS the same LIRR route you have now.

++ When adding a new piece of rolling stock the rolling stock's folder goes in the \TRAINSET folder.
++ After downloading a new piece of rolling stock the first thing to do is read the instructions on how to add it to your installation.
++ Rolling stock builders are basicall artists because they create. We use their creations in our OPen Rails installation.
++ Artists are not by definition 'Programmers' or Computer savvy folks' so most of their instructions to add their creations to your install of OR or MSTS are not gonna' be the same.

That can be very confusing so I'm going to post here the addresses of several web sites that have tutorials to read to refresh your memory and for future reference.

The trainsets are arranged exactly the same as in your old MSTS installation. If you had an install of MSTS on your machine you can run it with Open Rails simply by adding the location of the old MSTS install to the OR Content Tab on the Options Menu.
So when you download a piece of rolling stock it's important to carefully read the instructions . . .if ANY!
Thats right, some modellers upload their creations without instructions! Like I said, NOT programmer types, but artists.
This is why the next links I'm including here are so valuable; They can get you help when you're stuck.

The Steam 4 Me site has the largest repository of really good tutorials on MSTS anywhere.
Here is the home page:
http://msts.steam4me.net/index.html

And here are two tutorials on understand how folders and files work and are arranged in MSTS. As Open Rails uses the same folder arrangement, the tutorials can apply to Open Rails also. :-D

What Folders Do in MSTS
(which also mostly applies to OR but the enhancements to the engine and wag files can be found in the OR Manual )
http://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/how_ ... _work.html

Route Folder Structure:
http://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/rt_fold.html

Most of what you download for MSTS will run out-of-the-box in Open Rails.
There have been some problems running some models because the engine files are just plain wrong, kludged up to get them to run well in MSTS which sometimes screws things up in OR.

Back on the Steam 4 Me Home page are the Tutorials Button will call up a list of tutorials that will help.
I'd like to see some of the retired LIRR folks jump on this and provide some input on correcting mistakes I made.
I have already been informed that my track arraingment at Harold is not as it should be. Too tight 10 deg switches for one. They should be >5 degree and so on.
I list these errors and will be correcting them when the new Route Editor for MSTS is rolled out. It's already in field testing but it's not ready for prime time yet.
Any questions, please ask.

Regards,
vince
vince

Postby RGlueck » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:40 pm

Vince: I am unable to figure out how to get other motive power into Open Rails. Can you give a clear, ultra-simplified, set of instructions? I've downloaded the LIRR C-Liner, the PRR Decapods, the LIRR D-53 Camelback. I'd love to take them out for a spin.
RGlueck

Postby vince » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:35 am

I'll post a details in tomorrow but the short is after you d/l the rolling stock you have to put the rolling stock into a consist with an editor.
Details later as it's 1:45 am here and I'm hittin' the rack.

regards,
vince
vince

Postby vince » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:22 pm

Vince: I am unable to figure out how to get other motive power into Open Rails. Can you give a clear, ultra-simplified, set of instructions? I

I'll try Dick but I don't know your level of understanding computer internal workings and that makes it difficult for me because I have to be sure you understand what I'm talking about so I'll wait on your answer before getting into too much detail.

Did you read through the two links I sent you to the Steam 4 Me site in my previous post?
IF you did, here is the folder structure of an Open Rails installation:
If you'll look into the folders of the LIRR route, you'll see four main folders;
\GLOLBAL
\SOUNDS
\ROUTES
\TRAINS

These are the folders. the backward slash, ( \ ) in front of a name like \GLOBAL signifies that it is a 'folder'
These four folders and their contents are all that is needed to run the LIRR or any route for that matter on Open Rails. ( OR from now on)
The folder CONTAINING the above four folders are what you point your OR to on the OPTIONS ===> Content Tab.
This you obviously do know as you did get the LIRR to run with the test stock I provided.

I'm not allowed to upload the correct stock as part of the route because it would have made the distribution waaay too large.

In the \TRAINS folder there are two sub folders; \TRAINSET and \CONSISTS.

\TRAINS is where you will find the .... Trainset folders.

So this is where those trainset folders of Ci-Liners and MP-54 go, each within their own folder.

Look in the \TRAINSET folder. There you'll see all the trainsets I included with the LIRR download.
These are all Microsoft Train Simulator default trainsets ( with one exception) and as such according to the Microsoft license I AM allowed to include these with the route. I had special permission to include the 'Inspection" Santa Fe set.

So number one is to have a trainsets in the \TRAINSET folder just like you see them there.
The trainsets you downloaded generally will go in the \TRAINSET folder. BUT the instructions must be followed!
But they still will not appear in the list when you run OR! Here's why.
Well the trainsets need to be assembled into a consist. That's the other sub-folder within the \TRAINS folder.

This is where it gets a bit difficult.
If you'll open one of the consist files (pick one) with a text editor like Wordpad or Notepad you'll see the consist file displayed in clear text.

Now the difficult part. . . .
There are several ways to generate a consist file. It's a Unicode Text file so Wordpad or Notepad can be used to manually make the file by typing all those entries. . . .
IF, and that's a big IF, you are experienced at it.
++ Next way is the CONSIST EDITOR that is part of Microsoft Train Simulator editor suite that is incluced in the Train Simulator program.

I assume you do not have Microsoft Train Simulator ? Is this correct? If so you have to use another method.
If you are a computer nerd then the manual method would work for you. Not a computer nerd?
++ Then there is the excellent payware utility program CONBUILDER is really good at what it does.
++ There is another utility CONVOI, this one is freeware. Google to find it. From a chap in France but English menu's available.
++ Then there is Route_Riter. This is the Swiss Army Knife of Utilities that does now have a consist editor.

DIck, I don't know your level of computer knowledge so possibly we could chat on the phone and better exchange ideas and knowledge which is really hard to do typing on a keyboard.
Please send me either your phone number or an email address so I can send you mine.
My email is vcockeram at COX dot NET
Vince Cockeram

edit/add: Please see my latest post at trainsim.com Route Design Forum. There is a new route editor being developed.
I understand part of the package is a Consist Editor. That what you need to build a consist after you have put trains you d/l'd in to the trainset folder.
v
vince

Postby RGlueck » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:00 pm

I'm taking this all in, Vince. I 'm good up to consists, but not yet entirely lost. I'll get back to you regarding success or failures.

Thanks for taking the time to work this over for us.
RGlueck

Postby vince » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:31 pm

Always glad to help.

vince
vince

Postby murfunit » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:38 pm

Vince, this really fun! Open rails is a very nice venue to operate in. I was able to transfer over my train sets and consists from the old program to your LIRR route effortlessly. Still have to understand the peculiarities of the program but it is very detailed. Good job!
murfunit

Postby mirrodie » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:43 pm

assuming this is all for PCs right?!
All you need is faith
To hear the diesels humming
mirrodie

Next

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)