Flushing Tunnel

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Flushing Tunnel

Postby frankie » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:47 pm

The October page of the new 2017 LIRR calendar shows a westbound train beginning to cross Main Street and heading into the station. The caption states that below the train is the site of the long filled Flushing Tunnel. Can anyone explain what the Flushing Tunnel was?
Mineola, NY is my real home, however I live 60 miles from Mineola, MO. No LIRR here!
frankie

Re: Flushing Tunnel

Postby Kelly&Kelly » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:01 pm

The tunnel referenced is the "Lawrence Street Tunnel" of the Central Railroad of Long Island. Abandoned in 1879, some mention of this ancient history can be found by reading page 15 of this 1914 NYC Board of Estimate and Apportionment report on the subject. The report contains an inspection of the road's remnants which connect the Main Line at Floral Park to the Port Washington Branch at Flushing and gives some information about the tunnel. It can be found on Art Huneke's excellent Web Site:

http://www.arrts-arrchives.com/crrli1914.html

This is an interesting and very obscure right-of-way to walk today. In many places the cut and grade are still visible, especially through Cunningham Park. Parts of the tracks are said to have existed existed until the First World War. A portion became the LIRR's Creedmore Branch.
Kelly&Kelly

Re: Flushing Tunnel

Postby DogBert » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:54 am

What is also interesting is that the NYC DEP has a significant amount of infrastructure at the intersection where this tunnel was located. There's a chance that some of it is still down there and was reused by the DEP.

I tried asking a friend of friend contact about it but didn't get anywhere.
DogBert

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)