LIRR Passenger Diesels?

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

LIRR Passenger Diesels?

Postby deadhead350 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:47 pm

Kind of a silly question but i couldnt really find a straight answer anywhere - but aside from the old blue and yellow/dark blue cargo/work trains does the LIRR still use diesel engines for passenger trains with the exception of when a disabled train needs to be "towed" ?
Particularly the standard silver colored passenger trains - are they diesel and the engines are just smaller/ quieter or am i just not noticing something?
Thanks
deadhead350

Re: LIRR Passenger Diesels?

Postby inthebag » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:02 pm

inthebag

Postby deadhead350 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:42 am

Ok so more or less diesels only for the double level trains as far as passenger service goes with the exception of disabled trains?
I suspected the doubles seem a bit louder - wasnt sure if it was just due to the bigger size...
deadhead350

Postby bingdude » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:58 am

LIRR is not electrified east of Huntington on the Port Jeff line, east of Babylon on the Montauk line and east of Ronkonkoma on the main line. Not sure where the Port Washington electrification ends but I believe it does also. The Diesels are for service to these points. And as the Wikipedia article probably states, some of the diesels were ordered as Dual Mode so they can run as electric locomotives into Penn Station (and soon to Grand Central). A few work diesels exist. Freight service is not operated by the LIRR.
bingdude

Postby Crabman1130 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:05 pm

bingdude wrote: Not sure where the Port Washington electrification ends but I believe it does also. .

Port Washington is electrified it's entire route.
Crabman1130

Postby nyandw » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:56 pm

Electrification:
L. I. City to Winfield Jct.: 6/23/1910
Winfield Jct. to Whitestone Jct. and Whitestone Landing: 10/22/1912
Whitestone Jct. to Port Washington: 10/21/1913
Freight sidings electrified: 1927-28
nyandw

Postby deadhead350 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:29 am

Im nearby the main line(babylon branch to be specific i think?) and most if not all of it is elevated and i would imagine its all electrified so i guess there may be some weight restrictions due to the elevated tracks thats why i seldom see much diesels but when the cargo trains pulling dumpsters, fuel tanks,etc pass by you definitely can tell the difference :wink:
Thanks all for the input
deadhead350

Postby NaugyRR » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:28 pm

bingdude wrote:LIRR is not electrified east of Huntington on the Port Jeff line, east of Babylon on the Montauk line and east of Ronkonkoma on the main line. Not sure where the Port Washington electrification ends but I believe it does also. The Diesels are for service to these points. And as the Wikipedia article probably states, some of the diesels were ordered as Dual Mode so they can run as electric locomotives into Penn Station (and soon to Grand Central). A few work diesels exist. Freight service is not operated by the LIRR.

I don't think the DM's can fit under the river going to GCT, I'm fairly certain that'll be strictly an MU service
"That sapling that once grew just south of Wassaic may be long gone, and the Harlem Line’s appearance may have changed over the years, but for decades to come, I can count on it continuing to provide me with funny recollections"
NaugyRR

Postby geico » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:02 pm

63rd street tunnel for LIRR was designed for M1 size equipment.

So no a DM or C3 will not fit (at least not without chopping the roof off)
geico

Postby BuddR32 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:49 am

deadhead350 wrote:Im nearby the main line(babylon branch to be specific i think?) and most if not all of it is elevated and i would imagine its all electrified so i guess there may be some weight restrictions due to the elevated tracks thats why i seldom see much diesels but when the cargo trains pulling dumpsters, fuel tanks,etc pass by you definitely can tell the difference :wink:
Thanks all for the input

The Babylon (Montauk) Branch is entirely elevated/grade separated and electrified to Babylon Station. The passenger diesel fleet runs on it several times a day, but not as much as the M3/M7. Its not because of weight, but service. Most trains to/from east of Babylon will use the Central Branch (diesel only) to the mainline and bypass the heavy local traffic on the Babylon line.

I don't recall ever seeing freight on the Babylon branch (not saying it doesn't happen)
BuddR32

Postby nyandw » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:07 pm

You're referring to the Montauk Branch?

Ore cars Islip view E 1996 on route to Hampton Materials and Handling, Bridgehampton. This view is the north siding, Islip, with 84 Lumber (now gone) off in the right background.

"...They went caput a short time after and dd not pay the bill to the railroad. Freight job RF7 from LI City went out with the ore jennies. They received Conrail hopper cars of 1/4 inch bluestone also when freight job RF70 went out and did Pulver gas which is just east of there on the DEF....(double end freight)..." Info: Don Fischer

Pulver Siding view E from Bridgehampton Platform 03/21/2008 Photo: Mike McDermet
nyandw

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)