Oscar Brand

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Oscar Brand

Postby fender52 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:03 am

I just saw that Oscar Brand dies. Didn't he write a song for the RR? If I remember it was something like "Ride the Long Island RR, Allll ABoardddddddddd...
fender52

Re: Oscar Brand

Postby collin7 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:43 am

Thought the name mighta sounded familiar(??)  Just gave a quick look around. Words to the lirr song appear in both these links.
There's some info in this 2005 rr.net thread:
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=14193
also on Steve's site toward the bottom of this page:
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrlogos.htm
He was a resident of Great Neck, a folk singer, is in The Guinness Book of World Records for the longest-running radio program with the same host (WNYC) and made it to age 96 (died Sept. 30th). R.I.P.
collin7

Postby RGlueck » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:43 am

"....with boxy cars for boxes, and money savings plans!
On the Long Island Rail Road,
Boooooard!"
RGlueck

Postby nyandw » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:14 pm

Thanks Collin! :wink: I forgot about that material... http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrlogos/Blld_dshng_dn.pdf the lyrics.
BTW: To search a specific website use "site:" on the URL line

example: site:trainsarefun.com/lirr/ brand yields the pages with brand on it.
nyandw

Postby Backshophoss » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:22 pm

Way back in the late '60's there were LIRR radio ads using that song.
Backshophoss

Postby bingdude » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:01 pm

Yes. It was quite some time ago someone on this forum wanted to know all the lyrics to that jingle. I found Mr. Brand's website and he responded to an e-mail I sent him. He remembered writing it but wasn't able to give them to me.
bingdude

Postby collin7 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:18 am

I've looked around for an audio version (YouTube, etc.) but can't find any. I think the best so far is the 1965 NYT article on Steve's logo page which includes the refrain, "as heard over the telephone," as:
"On the Long Island Rail Road . . . BooooaRD!"

I guess the reporter was trying to spell it as it sounded to him & probably won't match any printed version if it shows up*...but at least he actually heard it. It comes up 4 times in the 90 second radio commercial (long even for 1965).

The article also mentions the RR's ad agency, who wrote the "folksy lyrics" (Oscar Brand putting it to music), thought it was popular enough that they pressed it on 45 rpm records and sold them for 50¢ each. Maybe 1 of those disks is still around somewhere waiting to be found. But then, who's got a turntable that runs at 45 rpm & can accommodate that oversize center spindle hole...that still works!

*the Dave Keller provided lyrics, both on Steve's page & here at rr.net in a 2005 post, do not include a refrain at all??
collin7

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)