Mobile Ticketing

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Mobile Ticketing

Postby rdl1972 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:54 pm

Anyone care to wade into mobile ticketing rollout? Having seen the beast live and in action , My guess is Ticket Clerk/TVM Clerk is going the way of the dodo craft wise in about 3-5 years. Almost everyone buys their tix @ the TVM, I bet this really crushes TVM in time, simpler and less to go wrong. The TVMs are so unreliable right now, especially for monthly tix I think management wants to drive customers to mobile to kill physical ticketing. Rev collection across crafts is one of the biggest line item expenditures @LIRR. Eventually a ton of crafts will be affected , can't see how head count won't go down.
rdl1972

Re: Mobile Ticketing

Postby KT3 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:48 am

This development is hopefully seen by most as a good thing, as it finally brings the MTA and LIRR into the 21st century, although years behind most of the rest of the transit systems in America. Even the lowly and under-funded Amtrak has had mobile ticketing before the LIRR.

One question is whether the move to mobile ticketing will finally see the end of the lIRR's step-up fare system for purchasing tickets on the train. After all, one could conceivably simply purchase a ticket on their mobile phone at the normal fare while en route on the train rather than handing over extra cash to a conductor.

The LIRR should have implemented a mobile ticketing system years ago, as many transit systems around the country did. The fact that it has taken the LIRR this long to implement something so obvious and useful for the customer shows just how far removed the LIRR is from meeting its customers' needs.
KT3

Postby inthebag » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:31 am

Certainly long overdue. I suspect most people will stick with paper tickets once they use the mobile ticket a few times.

Monthly ticket holders will learn the hard way that they can't hang their mobile monthly around their neck and go to sleep like with a paper ticket.
inthebag

Postby Commuter X » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:42 am

I've seen it on my co-workers phone. Once activated, there is place to display the barcode, but none of the conductors has a scanner

The way they determine if it is valid is if the time moves back and forth across the screen.

If scanners are not issued, it is just a matter of time before some college kid writes a app to mimic the movement

Commuter X
Commuter X

Postby Kelly&Kelly » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:35 pm

Trainmen will use their I-Phones to scan the image, which is checked against a database. It's a slow system.
Kelly&Kelly

Postby inthebag » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:43 pm

Conductors will begin to receive iPhones with scanner and credit card reader this month. My guess for the delayed rollout of eTix for the rest of the system is to allow time for every active trainman to take the training.
inthebag

Postby truck6018 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:03 am

Commuter X wrote:I've seen it on my co-workers phone. Once activated, there is place to display the barcode, but none of the conductors has a scanner

The way they determine if it is valid is if the time moves back and forth across the screen.

If scanners are not issued, it is just a matter of time before some college kid writes a app to mimic the movement

Commuter X

There is more than just the movement of the time to visually validate the ticket. There is also a pattern to the changing colors of the color bar (among other security features).
truck6018

Postby MACTRAXX » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:02 pm

Commuter X and Truck6018:

This has already happened on METRA around Chicago concerning their Ventra app - a sharp-eyed train crew member noticed that a fake
mobile ticket did not look right - the offender was arrested, phone confiscated and will face charges...From this past April:
https://www.metrarail.com/about-metra/n ... ile-ticket

There has to be distinct security features in any mobile phone application to keep anyone from attempting to counterfeit a legitimate ticket
the same as there is for paper tickets that will be easily identifiable to train crew members for just this very reason - getting caught in this
case and made an example of so notice gets out that these types of abuses will not be tolerated...

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby IslesFan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:16 am

Looks like Mobile Ticketing went live for the entire railroad this morning. No app update on my iPhone, just an updated list of stations showed up when I looked for a trip from Penn Station.
IslesFan

Postby SouthernRailway » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:02 pm

Once you've bought an activated an e-ticket on your phone, how long does it remain valid?

My CityTicket today for a 25-minute trip was valid for about 55 minutes. I couldn't tell if the validity is tied to the length of the trip or what.

Thanks.
SouthernRailway

Postby IslesFan » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:45 pm

SouthernRailway wrote:Once you've bought an activated an e-ticket on your phone, how long does it remain valid?

My CityTicket today for a 25-minute trip was valid for about 55 minutes. I couldn't tell if the validity is tied to the length of the trip or what.

Thanks.

My zone 1-7 tickets were valid for 2 hours.
IslesFan

Postby Andrew Saucci » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:44 pm

As someone who works in IT and has seen its dark side, I certainly hope that paper ticketing is here to stay for those who prefer not to clutter their phones with a myriad of apps and/or simply don't want to have to rely on flaky technology. I much prefer ten-trip paper tickets where I only have to have one risky encounter with technology for every ten times I ride. It's one thing if e-ticketing is an option; its quite another when it is forced on those who may not even want to own a smartphone.
Andrew Saucci

Postby Head-end View » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:15 pm

Andrew, I'm with you 100%. I could not have said it better myself!
Head-end View

Postby MACTRAXX » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:12 pm

AS:

You really mean that traditional paper tickets never get replaced by any electronic based fare
payment system...

I will second Head-End View on this matter 100%...

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby Kelly&Kelly » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:44 pm

Top SmartPhone Ticket comment to conductors:

"Come back in a little while. I'm on a very important call"
Kelly&Kelly

Next

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)