Mets Willets Point during a Mets Game for Other Events?

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Mets Willets Point during a Mets Game for Other Events?

Postby RandomRailfan » Sun May 01, 2016 2:52 am

The Mets are playing tomorrow afternoon, there is also an event at the Queens Museum I want to go to.

If I get off at the Mets Willets Point stop will I be able to walk down the walkway in the opposite direction (towards where I would go if I were there for the US Open) and get into Flushing Meadows park? Or is it only open in the direction that lets people get to Mets games?
RandomRailfan

Re: Mets Willets Point during a Mets Game for Other Events?

Postby MACTRAXX » Sun May 01, 2016 7:16 am

RR:

When you get off at Mets-Willets Point just remember to have your ticket ready to be collected at the gate on exit.
Only the gate area to the platform is manned by ticket collectors and MTA Police on gating duty. You can go south
of the station down into Flushing Meadow Park without any problem. The only time park access is changed is the
US Open Tennis Tournament time period (late August-early September) with heightened security into the FMP area.

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby Kelly&Kelly » Sun May 01, 2016 7:20 am

No problem getting off the train and walking either way. Be sure to plan your return trip before the game's over. The trains only make the station stop for an hour or two after the game ends. Stay longer than that and you'll be riding the subway.
Kelly&Kelly

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Sun May 01, 2016 9:27 pm

In addition, CityTicket is now valid at Willets Point. There are no vending machines, and agents are on duty during game days.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby Change at Jamaica » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:54 am

I was recently on a Port Washington bound train and I was in one of the last cars. As we approached Mets-Willets Point, I believe I heard an announcement that the last two cars will not platform at Mets-Willets Point. Was & is this always the case? Does the same thing happened when traveling towards New York as well?

Thank you.
Change at Jamaica

Postby NYR99 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:59 am

Only the head 8 cars will platform at Mets Willets Point, for both eastbound and westbound trains.
NYR99

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)