Rockaway Beach Line Reactivation One-Seat Ride to JFK

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: Rockaway Beach Line Reactivation

Postby Kelly&Kelly » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:33 pm

TunnelRat, it's nice to read your informative post. Welcome here! But weren't these supposed to be monorails using maglev technology?
Kelly&Kelly

Postby DogBert » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:35 pm

I think this news bit wasn't posted here yet - goldfeder drummed up the cash in the state budget to study reopening these tracks:
http://www.qgazette.com/news/2016-03-23 ... kaway.html

Thus, this reactivation is finally going to get the deeper look it deserves, and that should hopefully push back against the park advocates ridiculous 'high line of queens' plans.

Hey Tunnelrat- can we connect this to 76th street? :)
DogBert

Postby BM6569 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:05 am

This gave me a laugh. It's as if all there people were there long before the railroad!

"The Rego Park/Forest Hills area already has an active LIRR line running through it which causes my constituents grief to no end. I am constantly confronted by local residents and business owners complaining of the noise and vibration emanating from this rail service and the trash in and around the tracks.

Local homeowners and apartment owners have consistently told me about conversations that need to be stopped in mid-sentence when a train goes by. Sleep is often interrupted, dinnerware vibrates on tables, and windows facing the railroad are rarely opened. As a result, I am a regular correspondent with current LIRR President Patrick Nowakowski, and routinely “harassed” his predecessor, former LIRR President Thomas Prendergast, with complaints."

http://www.timesnewsweekly.com/news/201 ... ATION.html
BM6569

Postby BobLI » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:22 am

I wonder how all the trash along the tracks got there? It sure wasnt from people on the passing trains throwing it from open windows! Perhaps the people along the ROW find it very convenient to just toss it over the fence? Hmmmmm.
BobLI

Postby nyandw » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:22 pm

It's always interesting when folks buy real estate near/by the tracks or an airport such as Islip MacArthur for less money then in a more "desirable" locale that the hue and cry begins with complaints to the local pols. Another example of not taking personal responsibility for one's actions and expecting others to fix/pay for it.

Opinion: Assemblyman Phil Goldfeder's (D - Ozone Park) feasibility study that you and I will pay for is another ploy and taxpayer rip-off.... Sad :(
nyandw

Postby Jeff Smith » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:13 am

Interesting article: LTV Squad

Disclaimer: this website does not endorse nor condone trespassing.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby DogBert » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:42 pm

That one is actually part of a series covering most of the route:
http://ltvsquad.com/rockaway-beach-branch/

There are many compelling reasons for reactivation. What the project needs is a much larger groundswell of vocal support. Otherwise the ROW will become a park that very few asked for.
DogBert

Postby BM6569 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:49 am

One seat ride to JFK via Rockaway Beach Line? This group shows one way it could be done. Cuomo would like to see a one seat ride to JFK from the city. Even though it's unlikely, it sure is interesting to think about. The line is intact and the unused portion puts you fairly close to JFK.

http://library.rpa.org/pdf/RPA-Creating ... to-JFK.pdf
BM6569

Re: Rockaway Beach Line Reactivation One-Seat Ride to JFK

Postby Jeff Smith » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:42 pm

I merged a bunch of stuff in to give everyone a taste of the history of the line, and the various proposals for a "Queensway", etc. This is to go with the recent proposals to reactivate the line as well.

News: Queens Tribune

A One-Seat Rockaway Ride To JFK

One of the many improvements that Governor Andrew Cuomo announced last week as part of the reimagining of JFK Airport is investigating the feasibility of a one-seat ride from Penn Station to JFK Airport, which could possibly include the reactivation of the Rockaway Rail Line.

It will be part of $1.5 billion-$2 billion in spending by the State Department of Transportation to improve the roadways leading to JFK, according to the governor’s statement.

The Regional Plan Association (RPA), a 90-year-old urban research and advocacy organization, released a report of five possible one-seat routes from Penn Station to JFK on Jan. 6, a couple of days after the governor made his announcement.

One of the options it explored is using the Rockaway Rail Line, which runs north and south for 4.8 miles from Rego Park to Howard Beach. It was once operated by the LIRR and discontinued in the early 1960s after ridership dwindled.
Attachments
HS-USE-DIAGRAM-RPA-One-Seat-Ride-1.jpg
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby DogBert » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:47 pm

I wish these papers would report better. Ridership dwindled in no small part due to the very limited service offered by a financially troubled, pre-MTA LIRR. 'Ridership dwindled' makes it sound like it was the riders fault.
DogBert

Postby MattW » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:22 pm

Would it be possible to upgrade the existing Airtrain to FRA-standards, then use small FRA-compliant EMUs over the existing rail network into Atlantic, Penn or GCT? Capacity is an issue, but would something like that even work?
MattW

Postby mark777 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:15 am

I think that a one seat ride into the city from JFK is not really the most feasible solution, especially after AirTrain came to play. While I seriously still feel that the reopening of the Rockaway Beach Line is necessary, especially when one considers that the line is still mostly intact, I think that there could be a better use for it. I personally think that if you were to run the LIRR back on it as far as the Howard Beach station using the two center tracks could offer a slightly faster ride into midtown than say taking the AirTrain to Jamaica, but we are talking about mins here. If you want, add in the former connection to the Atlantic Terminal and you have a quicker connection to downtown. Connecting the present Airtrain to say the subway is gonna give you that one seat ride but not with any time savings. Any one seat solution that will include faster travel times will require using the LIRR or a brand new and very costly separate right of way that nobody in the world of US politics will be willing to invest in. Here is an even better idea, finish the 2nd Ave subway first. in DC, the silver line is being extended all the way to Dulles and slightly beyond, and it isn't taking 90 years to do it either.
mark777

Postby krispy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:47 am

Search back into the archives for more about this line. Just in brief - the original Airtrain project DID call for the re-activation for the line, and then for it to continue to LGA from Rego Park. It got squashed by some politicians and some influential people along the line, so the Airtrain went with the Van Wyck routing as they were under time pressure to use the funds they had been collecting for decades. Now, one of the main characters who was down on this is now disgraced, but don't underestimate the power of a CB in trying to shoot this down. Look at how well the one Pond does in trying to hinder the NYA's operations. They and the residents of 2 apartment complexes have thwarted the pleas of a lot of people in Woodhaven and Ozone Park begging for a better commute for decades...
krispy

Postby DogBert » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:36 am

Airtrain was such a wasted opportunity. I think people only take it out of necessity. A couple of bucks for the E train to the air train vs. 50-100 dollars on a cab...

There's never going to be another right of way to run this on. That would be a trillion dollar project that no one has stomach for, vs. a half billion dollar project that might upset a few people while winning praise from the entire city (and world, actually). I'm not convinced the people of rego park want a park in their backyards with people peeping in their windows vs. a train passing every hour. They have plenty of parks, and if they get a station or two out of it, they will be BEGGING for it. Anyone taking a bus on woodhaven to a subway connection knows how miserable a commute it currently is. The apartment building people can build a garage on the other side. Basically, TS if they don't like it. Tax records show they don't own the ROW there & the city can do what they want with it. It is still zoned for transportation use only.

Anyone against it just needs to be shown for what they are: 100% against progress for the rest of the city. Shine a light on the roaches and they'll scurry away. We need more light.
DogBert

Postby railfan365 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:18 pm

The part about extending the Second Avenue Subway to New York International airport is unworkable because of how long it takes to build transport improvements in this city. it's based on extending it South from Water Street through Brooklyn - and based on how long it's taken them to build other recent expansions, including 9 3/4 years just to make Phase I, such an extension would take about 70 years to realise.
railfan365

PreviousNext

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)