2015 Christmas Card

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

2015 Christmas Card

Postby nyandw » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:44 pm

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. We wish all health and happiness for the upcoming future.
"Don't worry about tomorrow. God is already there!

Best Wishes,
Linda and Steven Lynch
nyandw

Re: 2015 Christmas Card

Postby MACTRAXX » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:24 pm

Steve:

Good 2015 historical picture at Mineola - late 40s/early 50s judging by the steam engine and automobiles parked...

The only problem is that this picture shows an eastbound train and the eastbound south side building - two titles to make this accurate come to mind:

"Returning from a shopping trip to Macy"s after visiting Santa" - or - "There's no place like (going) Home for the Holidays" (cue up that Christmas carol...)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2016 to you and all here at Railroad.Net!!!

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby nyandw » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:17 am

MACTRAXX wrote:Steve: Good 2015 historical picture at Mineola - late 40s/early 50s judging by the steam engine and automobiles parked...The only problem is that this picture shows an eastbound train and the eastbound south side building - two titles to make this accurate come to mind:"Returning from a shopping trip to Macy"s after visiting Santa" - or - "There's no place like (going) Home for the Holidays" (cue up that Christmas carol...)MACTRAXX

Yup, I made a mistake. Duh... The train is eastbound, the water tower is SW of the station in background. Thank you. Yes, c.1940.

Here's the revised version: Image

BTW: The PRR position light and crossing turnout from the north side westbound track to the south side eastbound track are evident.
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/mineola/mineola1943.jpg :-)
nyandw

Postby MACTRAXX » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:58 am

Steve:

Glad I pointed out that this was an eastbound train at Mineola.

This picture is at least a decade older then I had originally thought - after looking at the vehicles again and seeing
the PRR type keystone sign - and the mentioned signal - that adds more clues to the proper date of this picture.

Any idea who the photographer was?

This does make a good Christmas card photograph - and the revised caption "I'll be Home for Christmas"
makes me again think of the matching Christmas carol :-)

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby Kelly&Kelly » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:15 pm

We remember well the nativity scene at Hall Tower, and the battle that ensued when Mario Cuomo demanded its removal.
Kelly&Kelly

Postby scopelliti » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:22 pm

A while back this topic came up and someone mentioned they had a photo of that nativity scene. I remember it well riding the train home from high school. Must have been Christmas 1963-1965. Anyone?
Pat
scopelliti

Re: 2017 Christmas Card

Postby nyandw » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:23 pm

With special thanks to Bill Skeats for use of his fine photo. :-)
Merry Christmas to all!

Anyone with "Christmas Recollections of the LIRR" to add? And looking to add the HOLIDAY EXPRESS - 2017, if you might! :-)
nyandw

Postby newkirk » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:07 am

Taken by me at Locust Valley on January 1, 2001, this appeared in one of John J. Scala's "Sunrise Trail calendars."
Too bad it's not snowing, but the holly wreath on the tower should suffice as a Christmas Card

Bill Mangahas (AKA Newkirk Images LLC)
Train to Rockaway Park now boarding on Track 22
newkirk

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)