M9 Procurement & Acceptance

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: M9 Procurement & Acceptance

Postby Fan Railer » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:04 am

Fan Railer

Postby NYCrails » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:19 pm

Fan Railer wrote:And the delays begin...
http://7online.com/traffic/lirr-new-tra ... em/832508/

The people up top are a joke, they haven't done nothing right. If its the ESA, 2nd Avenue , 7 train stop or this they have failed badly. I mean its becoming comical. And then they want to blame the employees for their shortcomings. You can't make this stuff up.
NYCrails

Postby Head-end View » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:44 pm

I'm surprised the new equipment will take up so much space. (17 cubic feet) With today's electronics and computers, you'd think they could fit it into something the size of a desktop computer.

This screw-up doesn't seem that unusual to me. New industrial projects of all types often suffer these kinds of glitches and setbacks. They'll work it out with some sort of re-design. Regrettably they'll probably end up taking out more seats and the commuter will get screwed.

On PATH's new PA-5 trains, the PTC equipment takes up substantial space in the left-side of the full-width cab. PATH insists this was the reason those trains had to have a full-width cab, to acommodate that equipment.......
Head-end View

Postby jamestrains1 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:05 am

Kawasaki Heavy Industries Hyogo works
Prototyping, testing, and development: various dates April 2015 - February 2016:

Interestingly, Gorilla Glass was, for a time, under consideration for use in the M9 windows. It was believed that the approximate 30% weight reduction provided by Gorilla Glass, when compared to other materials, could potentially be a solution to the ongoing overweight issues being encountered, in addition to preventing spotting.

Long Island Rail Road Commuter Council (LIRRCC) Meeting Minutes January 8, 2015
http://www.pcac.org/meeting-minutes/meeting-minutes-january-8-2015/
jamestrains1

Postby Head-end View » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:57 pm

Car #9001! Like stepping back in time to 1969 with the first M-1 train!
Head-end View

Postby nyandw » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:46 pm

Nice material, thank you. :-)
nyandw

Postby MattAmity90 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:35 am

Head-end View wrote:Car #9001! Like stepping back in time to 1969 with the first M-1 train!

Actually 1968, and even though I wasn't born for another 22 years, this is my time to see car, a brand new #9001. The only difference is I wish I was able to witness the grade crossing elimination of the Babylon Branch.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby Jeff Smith » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:13 pm

http://web.mta.info/capital/pdf/MTA_15- ... df#page=87

M-9 Procurement
This project will continue the purchase of new M-9 electric cars, which was initiated in the 2010 – 2014 Capital Program. This continued fleet purchase will allow for the replacement of the LIRR’s remaining M-3 electric fleet (88 cars), which faces a number of service reliability challenges and dated system technology. In addition, a key system improvement component is the procurement of up to 76 new M-9 cars which will prepare the LIRR for future service to Grand Central Terminal, by expanding the size of the LIRR electric fleet. This procurement is being coordinated with cars purchased under the East Side Access project.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby Head-end View » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:16 pm

What is this gorilla glass they're talking about?
Head-end View

Postby rdl1972 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:28 pm

Gorilla glass is a light weight ,very strong glass used in many of todays top smartphones.
rdl1972

Postby SwingMan » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:49 pm

I wonder if they'll solve the issue of sun damage to the windows.
SwingMan

Postby Publius Plunkett » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:44 am

Gorilla Glass was developed and invented by Corning Glass in upstate New York. It's marvelous stuff that is to sum it up, flexible glass. It is currently outsourced to China for manufacturing because American workers are not allowed to build anything anymore. There has been some quality control issues with production in China, but they have solved that by executing the plant manager in China.
Publius Plunkett

Postby scopelliti » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:10 am

Not to get off on a tangent but... the name is Corning Incorporated. The name Corning Glass Works was dropped in 1989 to reflect the much broader product range that Corning was now making (e.g. optical fiber). Gorilla Glass is a very strong, scratch resistant lightweight glass that has many applications including cellphones, smartphones, laptops, TVs, etc. It also has automotive applications (among others) including windows where its damage resistance and light weight are a big win.

Also, outsourced to China? Not sure what you mean by outsourced... Corning owns plants in Taiwan and Korea that are located adjacent to manufacturing factories that utilize it. This really lowers the shipping costs. Corning also has a Gorilla Glass plant in Harrodsburg, Kentucky, which last time I checked is in the USA. As a matter of fact, that is where Gorilla Glass production started (driven by the original iPhone).

Checkout Wikipedia for more information. Also, look on YouTube for "a day of glass corning" for videos about Corning and Gorilla Glass.

Disclaimer: I worked for Corning for 33 years, ending in 2014.
Pat
scopelliti

Postby Publius Plunkett » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:05 pm

Corning used to produce all of its Gorilla Glass in Kentucky. It now shifted some of that production to Asia.. The Republic of China if this is ok with you? Whether it was to lower transportation costs for large panels or be near the industries that use it in the Asian Rim, it still bothers me that US manufacturing is moving overseas. If the new M9's are produced in Japan, the glass will most undoubtedly be produced in an Asian plant. I applaud your long career with an iconic company such as Corning, but, put yourself in the shoes of a 20yo who is not cut out to be a "professional" and would do well in some manufacturing plant somewhere in this Country.
Publius Plunkett

Postby scopelliti » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:52 pm

Oh, I absolutely agree. I was merely stating the "facts". I do not like moving production (and along with it all the process knowledge) to places where corporate espionage is the usual thing. McDonald's sales jobs should not pay $15, but the issue is many jobs that paid $15 to $30 have been shipped overseas. I think we are in violent agreement,..

Anyway, this is not the object of railroad.net. So, back to the M9s :)
Pat
scopelliti

PreviousNext

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)