Belmont Race track station

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: Belmont Race track station

Postby MACTRAXX » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:03 pm

Everyone:

With the anticipated large amount of attendees using the LIRR to get to Belmont Park tomorrow I will add some
information for anyone going there tomorrow by train:

I noticed that LIRR TVMs sell Belmont Park tickets under the "Deals and Getaways" section and not in the station
listings under B...With many occasional riders travelling to BP for Stakes Day they may not exactly know where to
find BP tickets and it could be confusing to some - and may be a source of long lines to use TVMs at some major
stations - Penn Station for one...Another thing to remember is that DAILY Ticket (red) machines do NOT have or sell
BP tickets - meaning they will not be available at stations that only have Daily ticket TVMs...

The NYRA's Belmont Stakes website: http://www.belmontstakes.com

For those taking advantage of using the nearby Queens Village station Hempstead Branch trains are going to run
every two hours as reported and from that information these are the HB trains that WILL stop at QV during these
hours - Westbound: 3:33; 5:33; 7:33; 9:33 and 11:43 PM - Eastbound: 2:16; 4:16; 6:16; 8:16; 10:16 and 11:28 PM
These Hempstead Branch trains operate to/from Atlantic Terminal with connections at Jamaica...Again remember
that the $4.25 City Ticket will be available at or valid to QV from as far away as Atlantic Terminal or Penn Station...

We will see if American Pharoah can win the Belmont and become horseracing's first Triple Crown winner since
1978 - and for the LIRR how the improved Belmont Park station facilities affect ridership and service...

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX
 
Posts: 3664
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:55 am
Location: Islandia,Long Island,NY

Re: Belmont Race track station

Postby MACTRAXX » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:47 pm

CentralValleyRail wrote:Belmont Stakes Schedule has been posted... Same amount of trains as last year going to the race. That gap between 1:33 and 2:35 needs to be plugged. That's what caused a stampede last year on the 2:35. (witnessed and was part of it first hand)

http://web.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/Belm ... s-2015.pdf


CVR and Everyone:

There is good information for those planning to take the LIRR to Belmont Park in the special Belmont Park
timetable - that is widely available at many stations...For those who can not get a copy the PDF is the same
as the printed schedule....

Good observation about that one hour gap in BP trains - there should be a train scheduled in between around
2 PM to cover that gap and from the looks of this special schedule it assumes that many will get to BP earlier
and spend most if not all day there instead of going later for the big race(s) and after program concert...

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX
 
Posts: 3664
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:55 am
Location: Islandia,Long Island,NY

Re: Belmont Race track station

Postby CentralValleyRail » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:29 am

MACTRAXX wrote:
CentralValleyRail wrote:Belmont Stakes Schedule has been posted... Same amount of trains as last year going to the race. That gap between 1:33 and 2:35 needs to be plugged. That's what caused a stampede last year on the 2:35. (witnessed and was part of it first hand)

http://web.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/Belm ... s-2015.pdf


CVR and Everyone:

There is good information for those planning to take the LIRR to Belmont Park in the special Belmont Park
timetable - that is widely available at many stations...For those who can not get a copy the PDF is the same
as the printed schedule....

Good observation about that one hour gap in BP trains - there should be a train scheduled in between around
2 PM to cover that gap and from the looks of this special schedule it assumes that many will get to BP earlier
and spend most if not all day there instead of going later for the big race(s) and after program concert...

MACTRAXX


MACTRAXX are you going to the race tomorrow? I thought you were in Maryland off the Brunswick Line.

FYI EVERYONE AS MACTRAXX POINTED OUT: Coming Back from the race there will ONLY BE A 7:33 and 9:33 departing from Queens Village which means it's going to be a **** show at QV now. That 8:33 worked perfect and now that it's gone expect big crowds for the 7:33 or 9:33. Might even defeat the purpose of going to QV now because I know for a fact I'm not making the 7:33 nor do I have any desire to rush to ensure I make it.... Stupid job by LIRR (NJT must be rubbing off on them). At the very least they should have a WB train stop there.

I will be on the 1:33pm out of Penn, safe travels all. Last year there was a stampede and I dropped my beer getting a seat LOL. And yes I know of the "Alcohol policy" but the police weren't enforcing it. I was talking to a cop with a brew in my hand and he said just make sure it's covered, which it was in the brown bag... Who wants to pay $8 for a warm beer at Belmont like last year...
CentralValleyRail
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:51 pm
Location: Wayne, NJ NJTR-MP (20.8)

Re: Belmont Race track station

Postby MattAmity90 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:07 am

I know that the two new high-level platforms went into service yesterday, but are there plans to add other platforms, or are they going to leave the two abandoned low-levels as ballast for storage tracks? Reason why is that signs say PLATFORM B, and PLATFORM D.

Also, the racing season at Belmont goes all the way through September or October so that station sees plenty of traffic even after today's race.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
User avatar
MattAmity90
 
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:46 pm
Location: Easton, PA

Re: Belmont Race track station

Postby MACTRAXX » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:16 am

CentralValleyRail wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:
CentralValleyRail wrote:Belmont Stakes Schedule has been posted... Same amount of trains as last year going to the race. That gap between 1:33 and 2:35 needs to be plugged. That's what caused a stampede last year on the 2:35. (witnessed and was part of it first hand)

http://web.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/Belm ... s-2015.pdf


CVR and Everyone:

There is good information for those planning to take the LIRR to Belmont Park in the special Belmont Park
timetable - that is widely available at many stations...For those who can not get a copy the PDF is the same
as the printed schedule....

Good observation about that one hour gap in BP trains - there should be a train scheduled in between around
2 PM to cover that gap and from the looks of this special schedule it assumes that many will get to BP earlier
and spend most if not all day there instead of going later for the big race(s) and after program concert...

MACTRAXX


MACTRAXX are you going to the race tomorrow? I thought you were in Maryland off the Brunswick Line.

FYI EVERYONE AS MACTRAXX POINTED OUT: Coming Back from the race there will ONLY BE A 7:33 and 9:33 departing from Queens Village which means it's going to be a **** show at QV now. That 8:33 worked perfect and now that it's gone expect big crowds for the 7:33 or 9:33. Might even defeat the purpose of going to QV now because I know for a fact I'm not making the 7:33 nor do I have any desire to rush to ensure I make it.... Stupid job by LIRR (NJT must be rubbing off on them). At the very least they should have a WB train stop there.

I will be on the 1:33pm out of Penn, safe travels all. Last year there was a stampede and I dropped my beer getting a seat LOL. And yes I know of the "Alcohol policy" but the police weren't enforcing it. I was talking to a cop with a brew in my hand and he said just make sure it's covered, which it was in the brown bag... Who wants to pay $8 for a warm beer at Belmont like last year...


CVR:

The LIRR is going to have to keep an eye on what does happen at Queens Village Station this evening following
the Belmont Stakes race and Goo Goo Dolls concert because some will assume that there will be a train at 8:33 PM
and this could be a source of problems and complaints for the lack of trains there and filling the gaps by getting
just one westbound train per hour to make an extra stop at QV to close up the two hour service gaps would help
but I believe that they do not want to undercut Belmont train service with the lower cost alternative of using QV...

The MTA actually promotes that there is bus service available to get to Belmont Park and with crowded trains
I thought about alternate bus service - NICE's N6 passes by on Hempstead Turnpike and the Q2 and Q110 begin
at the park to travel to Jamaica - but they will be stuck in the auto gridlock that will more then likely develop after
the race - I have not taken notice to how traffic fares but if getting out of there by train is as bad as it is in past
years Stakes races I wonder how long the Cross Island Parkway and Hempstead Turnpike are jammed up - and
with BP primarily surrounded by residential neighborhoods it does not help that situation - and with the proposal
for a new NY Cosmos soccer arena nearby it is facing NIMBY opposition with traffic problems first and foremost.

CVR: Just curious: Where did you get the idea of "Brunswick Line"? :wink:
Answering your question - I am content by watching the race on TV either at home or on a big screen someplace
and the thought of the hassles getting to and from the BP area is enough - along with noting that tickets are sold
out this year - of a reason for me not to go there on Stakes Day...

MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX
 
Posts: 3664
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:55 am
Location: Islandia,Long Island,NY

Re: Belmont Race track station

Postby Noel Weaver » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:48 pm

MattAmity90 wrote:
Also, the racing season at Belmont goes all the way through September or October so that station sees plenty of traffic even after today's race.


NO - This is not so. Racing moves upstate to Saratoga in mid to late July (I don't have the exact date handy) and does not return to Belmont until after Labor Day in September.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver
 
Posts: 9562
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Pompano Beach, Florida

Re: Belmont Race track station

Postby MACTRAXX » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:48 pm

Everyone:

American Pharoah has won the Belmont Stakes and horse racing's Triple Crown this evening...

www.belmontstakes.com

With the Goo Goo Dolls concert this is looking like a party atmosphere not seen since 1978 when Affirmed
was the last Triple Crown winner and perhaps attendees will stay later and party and not try to leave in one
big exodus around the same time as many recent years Stakes races - with dissapointed racing fans - have
done overwhelming the LIRR and the somewhat limited road system in the Belmont Park area...

If anyone has any observations about today's Belmont Park LIRR service let us know how things go - having
a Triple Crown winner may help matters all around for anyone who attended the races today...

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX
 
Posts: 3664
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:55 am
Location: Islandia,Long Island,NY

Re: Belmont Race track station

Postby MACTRAXX » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:08 pm

Noel Weaver wrote:
MattAmity90 wrote:
Also, the racing season at Belmont goes all the way through September or October so that station sees plenty of traffic even after today's race.


NO - This is not so. Racing moves upstate to Saratoga in mid to late July (I don't have the exact date handy) and does not return to Belmont until after Labor Day in September.
Noel Weaver


Noel: You are correct - the Belmont Park Summer Meeting ends on July 19th, 2015 - see: www.nyra.com
That is when the current LIRR BP timetable is in effect until...

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX
 
Posts: 3664
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:55 am
Location: Islandia,Long Island,NY

Re: Belmont Race track station

Postby CentralValleyRail » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:26 am

MACTRAXX wrote:Everyone:

American Pharoah has won the Belmont Stakes and horse racing's Triple Crown this evening...

http://www.belmontstakes.com

With the Goo Goo Dolls concert this is looking like a party atmosphere not seen since 1978 when Affirmed
was the last Triple Crown winner and perhaps attendees will stay later and party and not try to leave in one
big exodus around the same time as many recent years Stakes races - with dissapointed racing fans - have
done overwhelming the LIRR and the somewhat limited road system in the Belmont Park area...

If anyone has any observations about today's Belmont Park LIRR service let us know how things go - having
a Triple Crown winner may help matters all around for anyone who attended the races today...

MACTRAXX


Too tired to type now just got home... We had a medical emergency on our LIRR train back to NYP which delayed us after the Goo Goo Dolls Concert. Will Update tomorrow!
CentralValleyRail
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:51 pm
Location: Wayne, NJ NJTR-MP (20.8)

Re: Belmont Race track station

Postby Herring » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:20 pm

Another cool MTA time lapse video day of Triple Crown:
06 06 2015 BelmontTripleCrown
Herring
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:24 am

Re: Belmont Race track station

Postby ExCon90 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:01 pm

Jacques Tati couldn't have staged it better. (Imagine handling that volume of people at low-level platforms.)
ExCon90
 
Posts: 3752
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:22 pm

Re: Belmont Race track station

Postby BobLI » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:23 am

Just wondering when the MTA/LIRR will publish the figures on the amount of riders the station handled that day.
BobLI
 
Posts: 979
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:46 am
Location: NY

Re: Belmont Race track station

Postby MattAmity90 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:03 am

MACTRAXX wrote:Everyone:

American Pharoah has won the Belmont Stakes and horse racing's Triple Crown this evening...

http://www.belmontstakes.com

With the Goo Goo Dolls concert this is looking like a party atmosphere not seen since 1978 when Affirmed
was the last Triple Crown winner and perhaps attendees will stay later and party and not try to leave in one
big exodus around the same time as many recent years Stakes races - with dissapointed racing fans - have
done overwhelming the LIRR and the somewhat limited road system in the Belmont Park area...

If anyone has any observations about today's Belmont Park LIRR service let us know how things go - having
a Triple Crown winner may help matters all around for anyone who attended the races today...

MACTRAXX


Another Triple Crown happened at Belmont: The Goo Goo Dolls performance after the race was the first time they ever performed there, completing a Triple Crown of performances throughout their tenure. They had performed at the Kentucky Derby and Preakness about a few years to about a decade ago. So now they have performed at all 3 Triple Crown events. The band that symbolizes my childhood with the LIRR did it!
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
User avatar
MattAmity90
 
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:46 pm
Location: Easton, PA

Re: Belmont Race track station

Postby AlKaLI » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:13 am

BobLI wrote:Just wondering when the MTA/LIRR will publish the figures on the amount of riders the station handled that day.


Already on the MTA-LIRR website:

http://www.mta.info/news-american-pharo ... 06/09/long
AlKaLI
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:08 pm

Re: Belmont Race track station

Postby nomis » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:24 am

Info for press release posted above ...
But unlike 2014, when the unprecedented ridership overwhelmed the LIRR’s post-race operation and resulted in wait times that some say reached four hours, the multitude descending upon the newly refurbished Belmont Station on Saturday moved almost continually.

In fact, when the last train pulled out of Belmont Station, the LIRR found it had carried 28,947 home customers, 3,364 more than it had brought to the track and nearly as many as it transported home than last year. The vast majority were on their way home within two hours as Nowakowski had promised last week. In 2014, LIRR transported 30,000 at the end of the day, 6,000 fewer than had taken the train out to the track earlier that day.
Moderator: Metro-North (with CDOT), Photography & Video

Avatar: An overnight trip on Girard Ave. stumbles upon 6 PCC's and an LRV stuck within two blocks.
User avatar
nomis
 
Posts: 2067
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:52 pm
Location: MRS 43 (was QA 9 & QB 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests