Speonk to Montauk signalization

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: Speonk to Montauk signalization

Postby Amtrak7 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:38 am

Backshophoss wrote:A "control point" can be as simple as 1 signal allowing access to the main track at "CP MY"(Montauk)to the the signals protecting
1 of the passing siding switches(CP East "BH")or a "hold" type signal at Amagasett(CP "AG").
All of the new signals are operated by a "control operator" at Babylon(untill a central DS console is built at JSCC in the future :wink: )


What's the difference between a CP-protected siding and an interlocked siding (like DUKE)? Would the CP-siding not have power-operated switches?
Amtrak7
 
Posts: 2177
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 4:39 pm
Location: Long Island / Pittsburgh

Re: Speonk to Montauk signalization

Postby Backshophoss » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:13 am

Current LIRR pratice is to install dual-control switches,by throwing a lever on the machine motor disengages the motor,
to allow hand throwing of the switch.
A control point is a "mini"- interlocking, LIRR uses the term "Remote Interlocking" at places like Locust, MS(JJD)1 and MS(JJD)2,for example.
To follow what was done on the Port Jefferson,each new power switch will get it's own name
"BH-1",west end of the siding,"BH-2"east end of the siding,etc.
It is normal pratice in CTC territory that all mainline switches are powered or Electric Locked,meaning the DS or the Control Operator has
to allow a switch to be "operated" and signals set as needed. All of the freight sidings and passing sidings other then BH and SN
will have Electric Locks on them.
Backshophoss
 
Posts: 4630
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:58 pm

Re: Speonk to Montauk signalization

Postby ExCon90 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:40 pm

Are the signals all going to be color-light? And what will be the entering/exit speeds for diverging routes at the sidings?
ExCon90
 
Posts: 3491
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:22 pm

Re: Speonk to Montauk signalization

Postby lirr42 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:47 pm

ExCon90 wrote:Are the signals all going to be color-light? And what will be the entering/exit speeds for diverging routes at the sidings?

The information item in the committee meeting notes doesn't get nearly that specific, but I'd assume they would be like the color light signals that's seen at PD, MS, and SK for uniformity.
User avatar
lirr42
 
Posts: 2726
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:16 pm
Location: Montauk, NY (MP 115.8)

Re: Speonk to Montauk signalization

Postby Backshophoss » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:26 pm

This is a guess,25-30 mph,diverging route. :wink:
Backshophoss
 
Posts: 4630
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:58 pm

Re: Speonk to Montauk signalization

Postby lirr42 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:58 am

Finally heard back from the MTA, a "control point" is the same thing as an interlocking, but without controlled switches. So for AG, for instance, there would be a signal there protecting movements, but if they wanted to use the siding, a crew member would have to hit the ballast and open the switch manually.
User avatar
lirr42
 
Posts: 2726
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:16 pm
Location: Montauk, NY (MP 115.8)

Re: Speonk to Montauk signalization

Postby MNCRR9000 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:59 am

Since it has been a few years any updates as to how the signal project is coming along?
MNCRR9000
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:04 pm
Location: Syosset,NY

Re: Speonk to Montauk signalization

Postby Sigz » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:36 pm

Late night tonight begins the cutover of the new signalized montauk branch. If all goes well over the weekend, there will be a whole "new" railroad east of SK2.
Sigz
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 10:19 pm

Re: Speonk to Montauk signalization

Postby Teutobergerwald » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:14 am

Will all sidings be remote-controlled from Babylon's tower and will the signals be PRR-style position lights? Thanks.
Searching for the eagles of the XVII,XVIII & XIX Legions in Germania.
Teutobergerwald
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:01 am

Re: Speonk to Montauk signalization

Postby Amtrak7 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:22 am

Teutobergerwald wrote:Will all sidings be remote-controlled from Babylon's tower and will the signals be PRR-style position lights? Thanks.


Southampton and Hampton Bays will be remote controlled from Babylon.
Signals will be placed at those two locations plus Amagansett. All signals are color light.
No automatic signals, cab signals are in effect between interlockings.
All other switches, including Amagansett and everything east of the current Block Limit MY, will remain hand operated, some with electric locks.
Amtrak7
 
Posts: 2177
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 4:39 pm
Location: Long Island / Pittsburgh

Re: Speonk to Montauk signalization

Postby ExCon90 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:33 pm

On the subject of diverging speeds, does the LIRR use Approach Limited (Y/*G* or PL equivalent) and Limited Clear (R/*G*)? And are the cab signals still just MAS, 30, and 15?
ExCon90
 
Posts: 3491
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:22 pm

Re: Speonk to Montauk signalization

Postby berlintransit » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:52 am

Amtrak7 wrote:
Teutobergerwald wrote:Will all sidings be remote-controlled from Babylon's tower and will the signals be PRR-style position lights? Thanks.


Southampton and Hampton Bays will be remote controlled from Babylon.
Signals will be placed at those two locations plus Amagansett. All signals are color light.
No automatic signals, cab signals are in effect between interlockings.
All other switches, including Amagansett and everything east of the current Block Limit MY, will remain hand operated, some with electric locks.



Could you please specify number and location of signals in Amagansett?
Will it look like a fully interlocked siding with six signals and only the switches remaining electric lock?
Or more like just one signal per direction protecting the loop?
What will the procedure for meets at Amagansett be?
Thanks a lot.
berlintransit
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:36 pm

Re: Speonk to Montauk signalization

Postby gamer4616 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:31 pm

Westhampton - No signals. Siding has electric lock switches
Hampton Bays - Color Light signals protecting each switch. Switches are dual control.
Southampton - Color Light signals protecting each switch. Switches are dual control.
Bridgehampton - No signals. Siding has electric lock switches
East Hampton - No signals. Siding has electric lock switches
Amagansett - Color Light signals are in place, but do not protect any switches. Siding has electric lock switches.
Montauk - Color Light signal for westward trains leaving Montauk.
gamer4616
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:49 pm

?Re: Speonk to Montauk signalization?

Postby berlintransit » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:47 pm

gamer4616 wrote:[...]
Amagansett - Color Light signals are in place, but do not protect any switches. Siding has electric lock switches.
Montauk - Color Light signal for westward trains leaving Montauk.


Thank you for the details.

Will the signal locations at Amagansett allow for a convenient use of the siding and its electric lock switches, meaning
- the eastbound signal is west of the siding and
- the westbound signal is east of the siding?
berlintransit
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:36 pm

Re: ?Re: Speonk to Montauk signalization?

Postby gamer4616 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:50 pm

berlintransit wrote:Will the signal locations at Amagansett allow for a convenient use of the siding and its electric lock switches, meaning
- the eastbound signal is west of the siding and
- the westbound signal is east of the siding?



Nope. Both signals are located just east of the west switch.
gamer4616
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:49 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests