White Pot

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: White Pot

Postby LIRR272 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:35 pm

nyandw wrote:I didn't intend to discuss railings, just provide a reference point of White Pot, where it is and what it looks like for the one or two folks here that have never been there to help us with the OP question.My apologies that my "nice" website failed to answer the OP question. :(


NYANDW,

I meant no offense to your website or the info you posted. But your writing to me sounded as if the website had info related to the railings. Maybe to me I thought about something new was taking place in athe area which required new railings to be installed. Your response stated (paraphrasing): Here is information about White Pot which to me sounded as if the info on the railings would be included.

My apologies.
LIRR272
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Elmont NY

Re: White Pot

Postby nyandw » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:36 pm

LIRR272 wrote:
nyandw wrote:I didn't intend to discuss railings, just provide a reference point of White Pot, where it is and what it looks like for the one or two folks here that have never been there to help us with the OP question.My apologies that my "nice" website failed to answer the OP question. :(
NYANDW, I meant no offense to your website or the info you posted. But your writing to me sounded as if the website had info related to the railings. Maybe to me I thought about something new was taking place in athe area which required new railings to be installed. Your response stated (paraphrasing): Here is information about White Pot which to me sounded as if the info on the railings would be included. My apologies.


No apology needed as I understand your reply and text has no "in person" context! :-) you are correct. Best, Steve
User avatar
nyandw
 
Posts: 3417
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:41 am

Re: White Pot

Postby Mr rt » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:31 pm

The "tunnel" is the underjump.
Service came from the West then went South at White Pot.
The approach to the underjump was filled in over the years.
Mr rt
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:47 am

Re: White Pot

Postby nyandw » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:20 pm

Mr rt wrote:The "tunnel" is the underjump.
Service came from the West then went South at White Pot.
The approach to the underjump was filled in over the years.

Image
White Pot Jct. underjump view NE 4/1965 Photo: Brad Phillips

Image
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/far%20rockaway%20branch/Rockaway-Branch_63rd-Drive_Fleet-St_11-58_Emery.jpg
Emery map Rockaway Branch 63rd Drive to Fleet St 11/58 Emery map Archive: Dave Keller

Anyone with current photos of White Pot locations to compare to the 40+ years ago views? Before/after materiala.
User avatar
nyandw
 
Posts: 3417
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:41 am

Re: White Pot

Postby DogBert » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:32 pm

Steve I might. I know I have some from around 5 years ago, and a bunch from maybe 1995 so. They all pretty much look the same: the area is heavily overgrown. I'm not sure you could even get a direct before and after photo since that area is filled with trees and brush now. Maybe during winter months?

The 'forest' there was a local drinking spot for kids back in the 90s.

Last I knew, the north side was mostly filled in - though there was still a small hole you could slide down into to get inside the underjump. On the south side of the tracks it was still pretty wide open.
DogBert
 
Posts: 1743
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:08 pm

Re: White Pot

Postby jhdeasy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:41 pm

I've always wondered about the odd terminology "under jump" used to describe the route from the Rockaway Line northbound underneath the main line at Whitepot and connecting to the westbound main line.

The PRR terminology associated with flying junctions were "fly-over" and "duck-under"; so I wonder how this particular track/structure at Whitepot became known as an under-jump instead of a duck-under.
jhdeasy
 
Posts: 2001
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:16 pm
Location: Mount Vernon, Virginia, USA

Re: White Pot

Postby nyandw » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:46 pm

DogBert wrote:Steve I might. I know I have some from around 5 years ago, and a bunch from maybe 1995 so. They all pretty much look the same: the area is heavily overgrown.
The photos 1995/2007 would be of interest for those of us that have never been there. Also, bear in mind (everyone) that what is commonplace/normal/familiar is not years later. Sidebar: Islip huge Coal and Feed Bunker c.1900-1969 razed. In 45+ years have never seen/found a photo; other than the bad 110 shot through the fence I took. Sure folks, post it up.!
User avatar
nyandw
 
Posts: 3417
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:41 am

Re: White Pot

Postby DogBert » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:02 pm

You are in luck. The majority of my photos from that time are still on slides that have never been digitized. For some reason though I happened to scan these 4 a few months back.

These were from summer of 2001, probably June or July.


http://ltvsquad.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/1.jpg
http://ltvsquad.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/2.jpg
http://ltvsquad.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/3.jpg
http://ltvsquad.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/4.jpg

(pardon the links - this forum won't let me post the images since they're over 800px wide)
DogBert
 
Posts: 1743
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:08 pm

Re: White Pot

Postby nyandw » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:45 pm

DogBert wrote:You are in luck. The majority of my photos from that time are still on slides that have never been digitized. For some reason though I happened to scan these 4 a few months back.
http://ltvsquad.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/2.jpg(pardon the links - this forum won't let me post the images since they're over 800px wide)


Get Paint.net (free) for example. Edit the size. http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/temp/matawok_6-2001.jpg Image

Here's the result. Best, Steve
User avatar
nyandw
 
Posts: 3417
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:41 am

Re: White Pot

Postby keyboardkat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:29 pm

jhdeasy wrote:I've always wondered about the odd terminology "under jump" used to describe the route from the Rockaway Line northbound underneath the main line at Whitepot and connecting to the westbound main line.

The PRR terminology associated with flying junctions were "fly-over" and "duck-under"; so I wonder how this particular track/structure at Whitepot became known as an under-jump instead of a duck-under.


I think "under-jump" is a particularly LIRR term. My old 1958 Employees Timetable refers to the flyover west of Woodside as "Harold Underjump." I guess it's an underjump or an overjump, depending on how you look at it.
Fairbanks-Morse forever!
keyboardkat
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Ocean County, NJ

Re: White Pot

Postby keyboardkat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:36 pm

I remember that the Rockaway Beach branch tracks were still in place here, including the westbound track through the tunnel, ending just before the site of the old Rego Park station, up until just a few years ago. I was very sad when the tracks were removed, because as long as they were there, I could maintain the forlorn, unrealistic hope that someday, Rockaway Beach Branch service would be restored in some form.
Fairbanks-Morse forever!
keyboardkat
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Ocean County, NJ

Re: White Pot

Postby jayrmli » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:23 pm

Jack,

Even though the LIRR was under PRR control, they always did some things in a "non-standard" way. Same as crews calling cabooses "hacks" while the PRR called them "Cabin Cars." (Although officially LIRR did (and still does) call them Cabin Cars. Unofficially, they're hacks.
Check out my website about railfanning in the Northeast!

http://www.northeastrailfans.com
jayrmli
 
Posts: 1760
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:23 pm
Location: Moriches, NY

Re: White Pot

Postby Radioguy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:28 am

Hello again folks...

Well, I was looking to see if there were any threads on here (or NYCTransitForum, etc) about that supposed 63rd Rego Pk flyover tunnel from that subway line to Whitepot. Well, any threads in the last few years with more information about it at least.

I seem to remember someone once saying it was the largest (then) unexplored MTA tunnel at the time. I'm sure as hell not going to have a look myself, but I'd love to know if anyone did. After all the surreptitious spelunking over the last few years, I thought it odd no one posted pictures; even anonymously somewhere.

Anyhow, nice to be back again. :)
"I decided to find out where the track went, and never looked back...got hit by a train."
User avatar
Radioguy
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:06 am

Re: White Pot

Postby whitepot46 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:18 pm

I was aboard the last train through Whitepot ( we natives used to call it Whitepot Junction) on June 8, 1962. "Whitepot" is the pre-real estate name of Forest Hills. Until about 1925 or so there was a Matwok station at the underjump with platforms on the Main Line and Rockaway Branch.
whitepot46
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:32 pm

Re: White Pot

Postby ExCon90 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:04 pm

jayrmli wrote:
Even though the LIRR was under PRR control, they always did some things in a "non-standard" way.

In addition to numbering main tracks in NYC- and NH-style instead of south to north regardless of direction of traffic, and numbering the tracks in Jamaica Station from north to south--yet the sky did not fall.
ExCon90
 
Posts: 3910
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:22 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests