LIRR Mainline Third Track Project

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: LIRR Mainline Third Track Project

Postby LINYARailfan » Sun May 05, 2019 7:06 pm

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:I have a few trips planned to Nassau County these next few months primarily to get the M3s running before they retire. It's possible that I might make a trip back to Mineola or another place along between Floral Park and Hicksville. When will the tower be moved or demolished?

That would be great if they made Nassau Tower into a museum. It seems like it is a good historical piece. The tower should go to some museum.

The tower will be moved or demolished as soon as they close the main street crossing to vehicular traffic and one 3TC starts dropping the rail for the construction of the third track. This is scheduled to occur between the winter 2021- summer 2022 according to the LIRR expansion project website. Who knows if the website is as accurate as it says it is. Only time will tell.
LINYARailfan

Postby PlaneLoverA380 » Mon May 06, 2019 8:17 am

This morning I saw some Save Nassau Tower signs. :-D My mom’s friend also knows somebody who wants to start a museum with Nassau Tower and a retired M3.
As you leave the train, please step over the gap between the train and the platform

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCsBlYmAvw8pMUVupqsG3szw - My channel, I upload my railfanning catches here.
PlaneLoverA380

Postby MACTRAXX » Mon May 06, 2019 8:04 pm

Everyone:

Here is the questions that I will ask concerning Nassau Tower - Is the building stable enough in
which it actually can be moved? Has anyone interested seen the condition inside the tower?

Example: PD Tower (Patchogue) could not be moved because of its condition and ended up
being demolished after it closed.

We don't want to see something like what happened with the East Williston Station building.
A use of some type could not be found - and during removal the building fell apart meaning
that it could not have been moved even if a new site was available.

Can the "artifacts" of Nassau Tower (the model board, control levers, etc.) be preserved
historically for a future museum display? MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby Backshophoss » Tue May 07, 2019 6:05 pm

Have heard that the building is in rough shape structure wise,having been upgraded signal equipment installed as the old gear was still in use.
There may or may not some of the old "armstrong" equipment still there,other old computer gear abandoned in place as well.
PD had the same problem of many signal upgrades that made "hash" of the building's internal structure.
Nassau's internal structure might just as bad as PD was at the time of tear down.
Backshophoss

Postby daybeers » Wed May 08, 2019 12:10 am

I know the MTA and its management/politicians are far from perfect, but I have to say, the MTA and the rest of the NYDOT is killin' the marketing game. From the outside, it seems like they're investing in expansion projects and they're moving along rather quickly. I know the Second Avenue Subway was and always will be a complete boondoggle and a picture-perfect example of how not to handle a project, but look at the Tappan Zee. Working great, and it finished in an acceptable timeline and budget from estimations.
daybeers

Postby MACTRAXX » Fri May 10, 2019 10:51 am

Everyone:

The Cherry Lane bridge replacement at Carle Place is scheduled for the weekend of June 1-2:
http://www.amodernli.com/significant-pr ... t-project/

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby PlaneLoverA380 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:29 pm

Will trains terminate at Mineola and be rerouted via the OB branch to turn around?
As you leave the train, please step over the gap between the train and the platform

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCsBlYmAvw8pMUVupqsG3szw - My channel, I upload my railfanning catches here.
PlaneLoverA380

Postby EuroStar » Tue May 21, 2019 8:30 am

daybeers wrote:I know the MTA and its management/politicians are far from perfect, but I have to say, the MTA and the rest of the NYDOT is killin' the marketing game. From the outside, it seems like they're investing in expansion projects and they're moving along rather quickly. I know the Second Avenue Subway was and always will be a complete boondoggle and a picture-perfect example of how not to handle a project, but look at the Tappan Zee. Working great, and it finished in an acceptable timeline and budget from estimations.

The execution of this project (and the Tappan Zee for that matter) has nothing to do with the usual MTA and NYDOT crap due to the personal involvement of the Governor. While I am not a big fan of the Governor, the reality is that when he is invested in a project, then that project has gone much better than average. If he is not involved, the old "slow and steady" prevails. The fact that his was a design-build contract certainly helps, but the major difference is that Cuomo is invested in this project.
EuroStar

Previous

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)