LIRR Mainline Third Track Project

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: LIRR Mainline Third Track Project

Postby zhaos » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:38 pm

The plan for Oyster Bay and Brooklyn do not feel customer-oriented at all. Why isn't there any pushback or discussion of alternatives?
zhaos

Postby bellstbarn » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:11 pm

In the doctor's office today, I could hear television news reporting on a hearing with regard to the Third Track. I don't know which news broadcast it was, but I was glad to hear: a) 90% of the voices raised were raised in support; b) there was mention of sound barriers.
---
If anyone dismisses the need for sound barriers of some height, please visit the King Kullen parking lot on Sunrise Highway, Bellmore. The racket made by trains on the concrete trestle is terrible. A few years ago, the railroad replaced the tie clips or did some other work, but the noise did not ease up. I contrast the efficiency of the low sound barriers along Air Train, which seem to subdue the noise of wheels, trucks, and track. Huge monies will go into design, and some of it should find effective noise reduction.

---
About ten years ago, there was a LIRR panel at the Bellmore Library one evening, a big shot from the railroad in attendance. When I suggested that he step out the library door and listen to the noise of trains passing two blocks away, he said, "You will never get money for it."
bellstbarn

Postby EuroStar » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:07 am

While I support sound barriers where necessary, I hope they do not agree to put sound barriers everywhere just to placate the NIMBYs. That would make the project way more expensive than necessary even though walls are in general cheap to build (compared to any of the other things they are going to do for that project). Put the sound walls where they are needed -- around switches, around curves, on certain structures and so on, but I really think that places where the rail is continuous without switches and curves don't really need them. The ambient noise, especially during the day is higher than the train noise.
EuroStar

Postby MACTRAXX » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:51 pm

Everyone - Thoughts about the LIRR Third Track Project from the MTA:

http://www.mta.info/news/2017/03/22/lir ... k-can-help

This can help resume discussion about the project after a two month winter hiatus...MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby EuroStar » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:58 am

That link did not work for me. Try this one: http://www.mta.info/news/2017/03/22/lirr-customers-describe-how-main-line-3rd-track-can-help The difference is minor. Probably the webmaintainer changed the name of the page.
EuroStar

Postby rr503 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:54 pm

The FEIS is out:
http://www.amodernli.com/environmental-study/#feis
They seem to have kept the interlocking layout at Mineola the way it was in the DEIS -- I wonder when they'll announce the shuttleification of the OBB?
rr503

Previous

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)