CREW WRECKS M-1

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

CREW WRECKS M-1

Postby Master Conductor » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:39 am

:P :P In the most current display of stupidy by a LIRR engineer (if you can call her that), a decomissioned M-1 on a flatcar had its roof sheared off when it struck the MTA Transit overpass at Fresh Pond.

:P Seems that this engineer had no idea that her Special Instructions restricted her from fitting the cars under the bridge. Since she really had no idea where she was, it probably wouldn't have helped if her Special Instructions were up to date. She had last year's timetable with her.

:P The top of the M-1 was opened up liker a spam can, as she placed the engine throttle in the 8th notch in an effort to overcome the resistance. Before the top was sheared off the M-1, the wheels of the engine ground into the rails. Lots of smoke and sparks. "Must be some hill here," she thought.

:P This was the same idiot who brought a trainload of passengers to Freeport when Valley mistrouted her Long Beach train. That time she didn't know where she was either.

The conductor and assistant conductor didn't know where they were either. They were sleeping. :P
Master Conductor

Postby Robert Paniagua » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:56 am

Wow, how amusing that is....

Could this be a so called, LIRR "joke thread"? That would be nice.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby DutchRailnut » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:32 am

Wow maybe the engineers was not to bright but since the Conductor is in charge off the train, and its move, I would point the finger to old sleepy head.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.
DutchRailnut

Postby Noel Weaver » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:52 am

Seems to me that the Conductor shares EQUAL blame on this one.
It is also apparent to me that the original poster takes pleasure in seeing
one of his/her co workers in trouble. Maybe a little attitude here too.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby Legio X » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:59 am

Was the engineer in question "La Qwanda"? We have'nt heard from her in awhile. What locomotive was she using for this ill-fated move at Fresh Pond?
Legio X

Re: CREW WRECKS M-1

Postby bingdude » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:12 am

Master Conductor wrote::P :P

:P This was the same idiot who brought a trainload of passengers to Freeport when Valley mistrouted her Long Beach train. That time she didn't know where she was either.

The conductor and assistant conductor didn't know where they were either. They were sleeping. :P

Remember that there always is a "bottom ten percent" in any group. These are the people who don't have a clue, but manage to get hired and stay around.

There are many stories like this over the years on many roads. One I was told about a New York Central crew that had a mail/express train near Columbus. That crew was fired.
bingdude

Postby MACTRAXX » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:35 am

Which M1 car was the unlucky victim of this mishap and were there any damage to the bridge? This is the type of mistake you make just once and you NEVER forget it! MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby BMT » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:25 pm

Yeah, I think it was bad karma: the M-1's didn't want to 'go out' without making a 'bang' against their main rival, NYC Transit's R-42 subway cars (M line running overhead). Would've made a great photo-op for da buffs! :wink:
BMT

hoggerette

Postby freightguy » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:13 pm

Was that the same woman they had to cut the power from her mu train because she was misrouted and wouldn't stop? I thought that was just an urban legend :-) I guess it was better those than a new M7! Why did that roustabout have 3 engines for such a small consist? What was wrong with the West end crossovers, besides the fact that you have to use 2 sets. I was told it was a "green crew."
Signed off
freightguy

Postby Clemuel » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:36 pm

Hi Freight Guy,

I don't know too many details on this but it did happen, and yes, the young lady had once before made the news in the Lynbrook incident.

She shouldn't be operating trains.

I do not know if her crew was sleeping, as has been reported, but they certainly weren't paying attention or knew as little as she.

There was no damage to the bridge.

Clem
Clemuel

Postby Richard Glueck » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:43 pm

Are there photographs of the aftermath, or is this the kind of thing AlQuaida lurks on LIRR property to view? Homeland security, you know!
"We no take-a gasoline. We no take-a airplane. We take-a steamship! And that friends, is how we fly to America! - Chico Marx
Richard Glueck

Postby bluebelly » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:16 pm

freightguy wrote:Was that the same woman they had to cut the power from her mu train because she was misrouted and wouldn't stop? I thought that was just an urban legend :-) I guess it was better those than a new M7! Why did that roustabout have 3 engines for such a small consist? What was wrong with the West end crossovers, besides the fact that you have to use 2 sets. I was told it was a "green crew."

Actually woudn't it be a "suburban legend?" . But as Clem said it is not a legend.
There is nothing wrong with the west end crossovers, but they cannot be used with this type of move because you have to pass under the bridge in question to get to them, and as we all know MUs on flats cannot fit. You must enter the yard from the east end.
It seems that there will be quite a few heads rolling on this one.
bluebelly

Whaaa???!!!!

Postby Head-end View » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:55 pm

Whoa ! This is the first I've heard of either of these 2 incidents. When did they each happen? I must have not been listening to the scanner for either one. Damn !

Question for Clemuel: Not to put you on the spot, but with all of the rigorous training and testing of the railroad's physical layout, operating rules, etc. (Not being sarcastic!) that employees go through, I'm really surprised that things like this still happen. Did this one individual fall through the cracks? I assumed that before LIRR let anyone actually run trains, they would have to know their stuff backwards and forwards, no?
Head-end View

Postby Clemuel » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:28 pm

Head,

I can truly defend the Railroad's qualification requirements, but cannot defend their hiring practices.

Yes, this individual had to be capable of reciting the entire road, switch by switch and signal by signal. She had to have a fair understanding of the operating rules and Special Instructions. But she didn't need to display much mechanical ability, interest in the job or respect for the position.

After the tests are taken, most of us forget much of the physical plant. Unless we constantly review things and care enough to refer to maps, books and other people when we are unfamiliar, we'll make mistakes. We all do make them and many of us are awakened by our mistakes, embarassed by them, learn from them and become more careful employees.

Some of us make mistakes and don't know we made them. We blame others for them. We don't get in trouble because we fit a political profile that has become permitted or expected to make mistakes. Or we play the very generous discipline system and when we find ourselves continued to be employed actually believe we were vindicated.

Not everyone is cut out for an engineer's job. Unfortunately, there are a few who can function, sort of, pass the tests, sort of, and not kill anyone, yet. Some of these can get through an entire career, while others eventually get canned. The key is that none hurt themselves or others.

Isn't that a story of life in general?

Clemuel, Labor Anthropologist
Clemuel

How true !

Postby Head-end View » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:00 pm

Yes Clem; that is the story of many jobs. Some of your explanations apply to my job too. Like if you don't review your procedures, and directives from time-to-time, it can catch up with you at an awkward and even dangerous moment. All the more reason to cover each other's a.....'s and watch each other's backs, cause like you say: we all do make lots of mistakes.
Head-end View

Next

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)