MTA LIRR Double Track Project - Ronkonkoma to Farmingdale

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: MTA LIRR Double Track Project - Ronkonkoma to Farmingdal

Postby braves » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:18 pm

What about the half hour off peak & weekend service that was promised.
braves

Postby AlKaLI » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:21 am

Passed by New Highway in Farmingdale on Sunday morning about 10:30 AM. A lot of activity at the crossing. LIRR M of W and other vehicles parked all over.
LIRR 163 with about ten ballast hoppers and another MP15AC on the end was just east of the crossing on the new main with the concrete ties.
To the west, several Plasser American tampers/stabilizers were rolling back and forth. The site was busy.
AlKaLI

Postby MACTRAXX » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:15 pm

braves wrote:What about the half hour off peak & weekend service that was promised.

Braves: More then likely half hour Ronkonkoma Branch frequencies will have to wait until both the Floral Park-Hicksville Third Track Project
and the major schedule changes to be implemented with the final completion of ESA are up and running...MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby geico » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:54 pm

MACTRAXX wrote:
braves wrote:What about the half hour off peak & weekend service that was promised.

Braves: More then likely half hour Ronkonkoma Branch frequencies will have to wait until both the Floral Park-Hicksville Third Track Project
and the major schedule changes to be implemented with the final completion of ESA are up and running...MACTRAXX

Probably extend the midday Farmingdale Trains to start/end in Ronk
geico

Postby berlintransit » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:20 pm

geico wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:

Probably extend the midday Farmingdale Trains to start/end in Ronk

I was under the impression that these trains will cease to operate during heavy construction of the Main Line 3rd Track Project. There will be single-tracking on segments of the route between Hicksville and Floral Park in between the AM and PM peaks so there will be no capacity for the Farmingdale extras in the next 3 - 4 years.
berlintransit

Postby MattAmity90 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:59 pm

The old track in between Ronkonkoma and Central Islip has been fully surfaced with ballast, which needs to be evened out since you can't see the ties. Afterwards they will add the third rail because the white supports that will hold up the third rail are there. A manual switch has been added to DK with the new track straightened out, and it is in the same condition as the replacement track in between KO and CI.

Railing has been added to the side of both platforms at Wyandanch, with the platform heating elements waiting to be connected to the loop. Curbs are being poured to the South of the ROW and there is a lack of fencing at the East end of the new platform. The Southern track at Central Islip has been replaced, and once that is completed, most likely they will replace the Northern track from CI Interlocking to where the new second track was connected, and possibly all the way through Deer Park.

Pinelawn is seeing a turnout/parking lot outline and curbing being laid along with railing on the ramps and new staircases to both platforms. A new Solari sign is already erected on the new platform. Hopefully the fence will follow, and in addition to the pedestal signal on the pole, a bagged pedestal signal was installed just West of Wellwood Avenue for the freight switch.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:31 am

It’s a safe guess that the half hourly off peak and weekend service to KO will have to wait until the third track is ready for operation. It would have been better for the MTA to announce that before putting the upcoming changes out. It’s a start to see some more reverse peak trains to Ronkonkoma but the spacing between runs can be improved.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby freightguy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:50 pm

I wonder if the half hourly service is also waiting on the new mid-Suffolk Yard i.e. Ronkonkoma being expanded? That would give capacity to hold more trains and turn more trains. I’m surprised that is not mentioned more with the double track project.
Signed off
freightguy

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:09 pm

I didn't think about the Mid-Suffolk Yard which would probably play a significant role in providing half hourly service during the off peak hours and on weekends.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby Head-end View » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:05 pm

I think equipment-wise the LIRR could probably provide more mid-day and weekend service without much of a problem. The issue will be that more train crews are needed which means more hiring and more money the LIRR needs to spend. Whether that will happen remains to be seen.
Head-end View

Postby MattAmity90 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:12 am

No new photos have showed up on Mr. Hand's Flickr page, which leaves me with a few questions. First though is what I do know.

-Obviously with this being early Tuesday Morning the 28th, the special weekday timetable that went into effect on the 13th continues through Friday the 31st.
-We just got done with the final August weekend outage, and I don't think September 1st-2nd will be out.

The questions:

-Obviously service in between Ronkonkoma and Central Islip was shifted to the new second track while the original running track is being quickly torn out and replaced at the same time with concrete ties.
-DK is now three tracks from North to South (new MAIN1, new MAIN2, then the siding)
-Wyandanch is still going over final installations, with Solari signs installed and platform lighting going up.
-Pinelawn has both ramps completed with railing separating the tracks and walkways, followed by two pedestal signals located just before Wellwood on MAIN1, and a smaller one just West of Wellwood in between the third rails.
-FARM most likely has the second track connected, but I don't know.

They said this was to be completed by September 2018?
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby braves » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:36 pm

What about adding half hour weekday evening trains to help out the 8:15pm, 9:15pm & 10:15pm trains.
braves

Postby geico » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:33 pm

Extend the 409 to Farmingdale train to Ronkonkoma to take some pressure off the 355.

Add another train between 553 and 621 from Penn to Ronk.

Extend the midday Farmingdale Trains to Ronkonkoma
geico

Postby SwingMan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:45 pm

[quote="geico"]Extend the 409 to Farmingdale train to Ronkonkoma to take some pressure off the 355.

Add another train between 553 and 621 from Penn to Ronk.[/quote}

That's what they're doing starting Tuesday..
SwingMan

Postby geico » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:23 am

SwingMan wrote:
geico wrote:Extend the 409 to Farmingdale train to Ronkonkoma to take some pressure off the 355.

Add another train between 553 and 621 from Penn to Ronk.[/quote}

That's what they're doing starting Tuesday..

Am I missing something? Do you see something I dont?

I just looked at the new schedule...

8-29-2018 8-18-22 AM.png
geico

PreviousNext

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)