MTA LIRR Double Track Project - Ronkonkoma to Farmingdale

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: MTA LIRR Double Track Project - Ronkonkoma to Farmingdal

Postby MattAmity90 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:05 pm

Probably going to convert or replace that passing track into the second track no doubt. There are many areas in between Central Islip and Farmingdale that have a second track installed previously, but they were for freight traffic or sidings to industry.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby milepost39 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:18 pm

Yesterday and today crews are working on the passing track on the east side of the Carls Straight Path crossing in Deer Park. Today they had the track removed from the crossing up to the switch that leads to that trucking terminal just south of the tracks. I wonder if that switch is coming out altogether? A little further east is a team track off the passing siding.
milepost39

Postby DaveBarraza » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:02 pm

Is that Pinter brothers off the route 231 DEF that's coming out?

That siding sees a fair amount of use for overflow (off-spot) storage for Astro Ready Mix..
DaveBarraza

Postby tj48 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:16 am

Wow haven't thought about Pinter Brothers for a long time. I can remember their trucks passing my Junior High School on their way to and from the terminal. I can also remember getting held up at the Carl's Path crossing as LIRR RS3's or RS1's were switching the siding back in the early 70's.
Wouldn't be a surprise if they were removing the switch into the old Pinter Brothers siding. It hasn't been used for many decades.
The track that overflow Astro cars are stored on I believe is going to be part of the new mainline. There is a shorter double ended siding a short distance to the east of the switch to the old Pinter siding that I've seen Astro cars on.
tj48

Postby Teutobergerwald » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:45 am

There was work going on yesterday at the New Highway crossing in Farmingdale along the south side of the right of way. Traffic was blocked by flagmen so trucks could back into the work area.
Searching for the eagles of the XVII,XVIII & XIX Legions in Germania.
Teutobergerwald

Postby milepost39 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:22 pm

Your Junior High School...I guess that now would be the JFK Intermediate School on Lake (my son's school, daughter's middle school is Robert Frost). No activity since before Xmas. Track is missing from the switch to the Carls Path Xing with the old ties piled up off to the side.
milepost39

Postby MattAmity90 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:33 am

Teutobergerwald wrote:There was work going on yesterday at the New Highway crossing in Farmingdale along the south side of the right of way. Traffic was blocked by flagmen so trucks could back into the work area.

That's the final stretch of the Double Track project that will go there. As of right now, from West of Ronkonkoma through Pinelawn has been prepped. The ROW to the West of Wellwood Avenue through New Highway is being prepped for the second track as that is the Western end point of the project: FARM Interlocking to the East of Rt. 110.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby tj48 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:39 pm

milepost39 wrote:Your Junior High School...I guess that now would be the JFK Intermediate School on Lake (my son's school, daughter's middle school is Robert Frost). No activity since before Xmas. Track is missing from the switch to the Carls Path Xing with the old ties piled up off to the side.

Yup. Showing my age....... :wink:
tj48

Postby milepost39 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:32 pm

They are working in the rain today, removing the switch.
milepost39

Postby tj48 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:58 am

Happened to drive by the Carl's Path crossing yesterday. The siding track just east of Carl's Path has been removed but the switch to the old Pinter siding was still in place. The track into the siding had been severed. Just past the east side of the switch the double ended siding track rails have been removed for a distance and I believe the smaller double ended siding rails had been removed as well.
tj48

Postby rr503 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:02 pm

Looks like some revamped stations are in the works...
http://www.mta.info/news/2017/01/10/gov ... ove-system
rr503

Postby tj48 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:06 pm

In the area yesterday. Crews working removing the rails and ties from the double ended siding have reached the Deer Park Ave. overpass.
There is a very large crane on Long Island Ave. driving large steel pilings into the ground by the pedestrian underpass that connects Long Island Ave. and Acorn St.
Retaining wall construction slowly continues on the grade between Wyndanch and Deer Park Ave. overpass.
tj48

Postby MACTRAXX » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:58 am

Everyone:

Between Central Islip and Ronkonkoma third rail is now installed on the new concrete tied second
track. I want to check the status of progress between Central Islip and Brentwood during this next
week in particular the Islip Avenue/NYS 111 crossing which I recall there was no provisions yet in
place for the second track. With the winter weather break (lack of any significant snowfall or any
snow/ice for any extended period needing to be removed) progress is being made in this project.

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby MattAmity90 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:10 pm

Oh man! It feels like that section could go into service by May!
MattAmity90

Postby berlintransit » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:36 pm

Not without any signalling along the new track.
berlintransit

PreviousNext

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)