MTA LIRR Double Track Project - Ronkonkoma to Farmingdale

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: MTA LIRR Double Track Project - Ronkonkoma to Farmingdal

Postby BobLI » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:51 am

Are there new sub stations being constructed with this 2nd track project?
BobLI

Postby MattAmity90 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:21 pm

No, but they will have to give amp up the substations to accommodate more power.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby tj48 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:51 pm

Two crews working today on the south side of the grade between Wyandanch and the Deer Park Ave overpass.
One crew was using a wheeled backhoe and tracked skid steer clearing additional brush and the remnants of the original fencing. The second crew was using a larger tracked backhoe driving steel I-beams into the ground about half way up the grade.
tj48

Postby tj48 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:20 pm

Work crews have begun installing footings and retaining wall on the grade between Wyandanch and the Deer Park Ave overpass. They are working on the segment between the pedestrian overpass and the pedestrian underpass on the south side of Long Island Ave. The retaining wall are precast sections with a block face on the front.
The new 2nd track ROW between Little East Neck Road crossing and 18th street crossing could look close to being finished. The area just west of 18th street where the land dipped down has been filled in and graded. It would appear that to get the new ROW up to Straight Path the single row parking lot between 18th street and Straight Path will have to be demolished.
tj48

Postby MattAmity90 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:21 pm

ci.jpg

I'm pretty sure everyone here knows that last night we had a car get hit at the Carleton Avenue grade crossing to the West of Central Islip. Took a look at photos and it shows that the car landed on the new track laid. I just hope it didn't damage the ties too badly because it's not covered with ballast.

Train was the 4:12 PM from Penn Station, scheduled to arrive at Ronkonkoma at 5:42 PM when it hit the vehicle at 5:30 PM.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby Crabman1130 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:19 pm

That's what you're concerned with, what about the occupant of the car?
Crabman1130

Postby MattAmity90 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:39 am

Crabman1130 wrote:That's what you're concerned with, what about the occupant of the car?

Of course I care about the occupants, there were four in the car, but got out safely. The only thing I don't like is that once again we discovered another driver who decides to put people at risk of getting killed by doing such an idiotic thing even though Carlton Avenue is one of the most hazardous on the island, especially now that it is a 2-track crossing.
MattAmity90

Postby MACTRAXX » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:34 pm

MA90 and Everyone: What is ironic about the Carleton Avenue grade crossing is that the MTA Police District 1-Suffolk County station house is on the northwest corner of the track(s) there on the site of the old Central Islip railroad station. The picture of the wrecked car is looking east towards CI1 and the current station. The MTA PD facility is across Carleton Avenue and is behind the stopped train involved. Even with the MTA PD right there it did not deter this driver from either ignoring the crossing gate or somehow getting stuck on the track there...

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby nyandw » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:04 pm

Yipes, Darwin at work, but Murphy interfered to the benefit of the occupants.
nyandw

Postby MattAmity90 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:49 am

Just to tell you guys I have no sympathy/remorse for drivers who ignore the grade crossing signals on the island. When Herricks Road was still around we had 305 crossings, since 1982 we have eliminated about 12 of them including Herricks Road (I found a picture of the Ford Econoline Van that was involved). I wonder if double-tracking KO might lead to more grade crossing eliminations in addition to the Main Line West of Hicksville?

I don't fool around with train safety, I keep a watchful eye out. In addition to the double-tracking I hope they do something about the Executive Drive crossing next to Deer Park.
MattAmity90

Postby tj48 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:04 am

Crew now working on grading the new ROW from the pedestrian bridge at the east end of Wyandanch station east.
tj48

Postby MattAmity90 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:43 pm

All of the ballast for the new track in between Ronkonkoma and Central Islip has been evened out with the current track, but a ton of ballast has to be removed in between the rails, and a good polishing. Some portions West of Central Islip has the second track in place and the whole ROW to Brentwood is officially prepped for installation of ballast. I saw the steel I-Beams driven into the ground near Wyandanch, with most of the right of way prepped heading into Wyandanch and West of Wyandanch. Near Pinelawn, it's prepped, and the Long Island Ave/Conklin Street/Wellwood Avenue intersection is being reconfigured and arcing to the left to make room. It looks like a roundabout. I saw it in one of my friends YouTube videos.

Also that switch West of the Ocean Avenue crossing is still there, any idea if that will be removed?
MattAmity90

Postby DaveBarraza » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:29 am

MattAmity90 wrote:Also that switch West of the Ocean Avenue crossing is still there, any idea if that will be removed?

I am told that it is a temporary switch. It will be removed when there is another way to get equipment into the new WB track, from one of the two ends. It's not part of the "final layout"
DaveBarraza

Postby MattAmity90 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:53 am

That will probably happen when they connect the new track from where the temporary switch is to the track when it goes through both crossings to where KO Interlocking ends East of Pond Road.
MattAmity90

Postby tj48 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:40 am

Don't know if its related to the double track project but for the past couple of overnights LIRR MOW crews have been working in the vicinity of the switch on the west side of the passing track on the grade between Wyandanch and Deer Park Ave overpass.
tj48

PreviousNext

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)