MTA LIRR Double Track Project - Ronkonkoma to Farmingdale

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: MTA LIRR Double Track Project - Ronkonkoma to Farmingdal

Postby MattAmity90 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:18 am

Two more photos by Edward Hand, this time showing the site of a new crossover interlocking that will be located in between the N Peters Blvd. and Islip Avenue/Rt. 111 crossing.

35945213184_d170c29d08_z.jpg
35945211224_0306f1a131_z.jpg
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby bellstbarn » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:16 pm

At Little East Neck Road, I presume the second track will go where the signal box is.
ImageLittle East Neck Road onMainLine LIRR by sphoto33, on Flickr

ImageLittle East Neck Road, towards Wyandanch, 8.26.2017 by sphoto33, on Flickr

The photo above, taken 8.26.2017, looks towards Wyandanch from Little East Neck Road.

ImageLittle East Neck Road, looking west to Pinelawn 8.26.2017 by sphoto33, on Flickr

The above photo, taken 8.26.2017, looks east from Little East Neck Road to Pinelawn.

ImagePinelawn, east from Wellwood Ave 8.26.2017 by sphoto33, on Flickr

I wasn't sharp enough to find a parking spot near the Pinelawn station as there are no shoulders. Maybe one could briefly park on a driveway leading into the private Pinelawn cemetery and walk back to the railroad crossing. Parking is now impossible at the station.
bellstbarn

Postby MattAmity90 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:46 am

Yes, the second track will be laid where the signal box is. The photos you took at Little East Neck Road and at Pinelawn were looking South. From Ronkonkoma to Central Islip the second track has been laid and that was to the North of the current or right next to the power lines. From Central Islip to Brentwood, then Deer Park to Farmingdale it will be laid to the South of the current and on the side in which the power lines DO NOT run along.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby johnmmurphy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:12 am

I just noticed the following PR release:
The LIRR will perform track work between Farmingdale and Ronkonkoma between midnight and 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 19, timed to inconvenience the fewest number of customers possible. Among the work, switches will be replaced and track inspections will be performed using a specialized diagnostic car fitted with ultrasonic and induction test equipment.

Anyone know what switches were added/deleted/replaced???

Thanks
JM
johnmmurphy

Postby Amtrak7 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:26 am

I've been told Eldee siding, though I'm not sure where that is myself. Someone in this thread probably does, though.
Amtrak7

Postby MattAmity90 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:49 am

Well there are a few sidings still in existence in the single track territory. There's Commack Road, Carll's Path, Wyandanch, Pinelawn, and a few in Farmingdale. The second track over Deer Park Avenue where the old Deer Park station was located was ripped out, and they worked for a few months to level out the ballast for the second track in that area where it turns into embankment.
MattAmity90

Postby mkm4 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:02 pm

Amtrak7 wrote:I've been told Eldee siding

"LD", Isn't that in Riverhead?
mkm4

Postby Jeff Smith » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:06 pm

I was kind of surprised to look at the Wyandanch pictures and not see any work; is this part of another phase? I used to ride occasionally from Deer Park and Ronk.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby gamer4616 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:40 pm

mkm4 wrote:
Amtrak7 wrote:I've been told Eldee siding

"LD", Isn't that in Riverhead?

Eldee siding (PC Richard) is a siding west of Deer Park station. It is located 1875 feet east of Mile Post 37.
gamer4616

Postby tahawus84 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:18 pm

the old pc richards switch was removed
tahawus84

Postby Teutobergerwald » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:26 pm

Didn't NYA have an active customer there, who received hoppers of gravel? Will it get reconnected ?
Searching for the eagles of the XVII,XVIII & XIX Legions in Germania.
Teutobergerwald

Postby MattAmity90 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:05 pm

Jeff Smith wrote:I was kind of surprised to look at the Wyandanch pictures and not see any work; is this part of another phase? I used to ride occasionally from Deer Park and Ronk.

The ground has been cleared of brush, flattened, graded, and ready to have the track laid on it. The busy part was at the former Deer Park station, where they literally created land using sound walls and beams. Every single mile in this project has been prepped, it's now just a matter of time for them to lay the second track down.

Wyandanch is going to be tricky because LI Ave and Straight Path are directly within arms length of the track. Just like Wellwood Avenue they are going to have to reconfigure that intersection South of the tracks when they eventually convert Straight Path from a 1 to 2 track crossing. Aside from that, all the other crossings will be easy to convert or have already been converted.
MattAmity90

Postby Train2009 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:50 pm

Second track construction will take place next weekend September 9/10 and September 16/17,
http://web.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/KO-2 ... 7-2017.pdf
Train2009

Postby tahawus84 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:12 pm

the pc richards switch that was removed was just east of the farmingdale station
tahawus84

Postby Sir Ray » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:39 am

tahawus84 wrote:the pc richards switch that was removed was just east of the farmingdale station

You mean the lead to the old Price Parkway loop trackage, I presume? I guess after Strober Price moved in the 1990s, there were no potential freight customers left (Lowes retail store, P.C. Richards, discount furniture stores, party rental places and so on don't really count).
Sir Ray

PreviousNext

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)