MTA LIRR Double Track Project - Ronkonkoma to Farmingdale

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: MTA LIRR Double Track Project - Ronkonkoma to Farmingdal

Postby MattAmity90 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:12 am

tj48 wrote:The welded rail train was active again Saturday. Caught it just west of the 18th st crossing in Wyandanch during the afternoon and again late Saturday evening backing down the grade between the Deer Park Ave overpass and Wyandanch station. It was set up the same as the last time I saw it. 1 MP15ac on the west end of the train. 2 MP15ac's on the east end. Also saw contractors erecting the wooden poles on the south side of new ROW.
Matt, Carll's Path crossing was a 2 track crossing.

Why are there wooden power poles being erected on the South side of the ROW? They don't need to take out the power lines on the North side that were erected when the branch was electrified from July 1985 to December 1987.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby johnmmurphy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:27 pm

Does anyone know how KO is being reconfigured???
Thanks
JM
johnmmurphy

Postby hrfcarl » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:21 pm

MattAmity90 wrote:Carll's Path and Commack Road will NOT be eliminated, and the railroad track you see with wooden ties is an old siding that will be torn out of the ground. It was double-tracked at the old Deer Park station and they ripped the non-electrified track out. They will renew the crossing plates and add the second track sometime in the future. The interlockings that will be replaced or constructed is as follows:

I do not know if those rails and ties are going to be used, but sure looks like they graded from where those are laying INTO the siding to about where the current siding ends (starts just west of Commack Road, stone cars for Giaquinto Masonry?). I then asked if the switch into this siding is moved from near PC Richards/Commack Road to closer to Carll's Path, could there be a FUTURE plan (probably not part of Double Track) to eliminate the crossing at Commack Road (never mentioned Carll's path being eliminated), especially if there is going to be additional train traffic on this branch and the amount of vehicle traffic on this road?
hrfcarl

Postby MattAmity90 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:11 pm

Speaking of this stretch of track, about 5 hours ago someone went around the gates at either Carll's Path or Commack Road and was struck and killed by a train. About 3 hours ago, service was restored. If I was the LIRR, I would invest by converting both Commack Road and Carll's Path into crossings with signals in the median (Lowell Ave, Carleton Ave, Stewart Ave), or convert them into a 4-quadrant gated crossings.

Judging from the train traffic that will added with the second track, the Ronkonkoma Branch will now be the equivalent of Babylon Branch before it was elevated. After all, the Babylon Branch is the busiest out of all of them and we all knew that for decades even before it elevated, and the Ronkonkoma Branch is the second busiest after they electrified it. I actually thought that the second busiest was the Port Jefferson/Huntington Branch.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby LINYARailfan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:20 pm

Any word on when the next phase of track work for the double track project will be? Will it be September 23-24 or in late October to mid November? I may try to see the Welded Rail Train when the next set of track work is scheduled. Thanks
LINYARailfan

Postby EuroStar » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:20 am

MattAmity90 wrote:Speaking of this stretch of track, about 5 hours ago someone went around the gates at either Carll's Path or Commack Road and was struck and killed by a train. About 3 hours ago, service was restored. If I was the LIRR, I would invest by converting both Commack Road and Carll's Path into crossings with signals in the median (Lowell Ave, Carleton Ave, Stewart Ave), or convert them into a 4-quadrant gated crossings.

Report of the accident: http://nypost.com/2017/09/18/man-killed-after-driving-into-path-of-speeding-lirr-train/. Assuming that they got the details right, it is very disturbing that a 94-year old would not know any better and would try to go around the gates. I think curbed median dividers preventing going around gates should be standard at all crossings with maybe exceptions for narrow streets where there is not sufficient space for them.
EuroStar

Postby Amtrak7 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:32 pm

LINYARailfan wrote:Any word on when the next phase of track work for the double track project will be? Will it be September 23-24 or in late October to mid November? I may try to see the Welded Rail Train when the next set of track work is scheduled. Thanks

Nothing this weekend, and likely nothing until after Post Avenue (South Shore tie job weekends in between)
Amtrak7

Postby MattAmity90 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:27 pm

EuroStar wrote:
MattAmity90 wrote:Speaking of this stretch of track, about 5 hours ago someone went around the gates at either Carll's Path or Commack Road and was struck and killed by a train. About 3 hours ago, service was restored. If I was the LIRR, I would invest by converting both Commack Road and Carll's Path into crossings with signals in the median (Lowell Ave, Carleton Ave, Stewart Ave), or convert them into a 4-quadrant gated crossings.

Report of the accident: http://nypost.com/2017/09/18/man-killed-after-driving-into-path-of-speeding-lirr-train/. Assuming that they got the details right, it is very disturbing that a 94-year old would not know any better and would try to go around the gates. I think curbed median dividers preventing going around gates should be standard at all crossings with maybe exceptions for narrow streets where there is not sufficient space for them.

It is very disturbing that a 94-year old would go around the gates, but it's not the first time I've heard that one of our wise senior citizens has gone around the gates and gotten hit. In late-2007 a woman in her 70's went around the gates at Roslyn Road just when the project was almost complete (new bridge was in place) because she thought the tracks were a street. Luckily they got the woman out before the train hit the car at 70 MPH.

Judging from the picture in the article that looks like Carll's Path, and just looked at the crossing on Google Earth and it is Carll's Path.
MattAmity90

Postby hrfcarl » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:50 pm

hrfcarl wrote:I do not know if those rails and ties are going to be used, but sure looks like they graded from where those are laying INTO the siding to about where the current siding ends (starts just west of Commack Road, stone cars for Giaquinto Masonry?). I then asked if the switch into this siding is moved from near PC Richards/Commack Road to closer to Carll's Path, could there be a FUTURE plan (probably not part of Double Track) to eliminate the crossing at Commack Road (never mentioned Carll's path being eliminated), especially if there is going to be additional train traffic on this branch and the amount of vehicle traffic on this road?

UPDATE: Passing the area between Carlls Path & Commack Rd today I saw that segment of rails & ties have been connected to the back end of the existing siding. So again I ask: is the plan to remove the current switch near Commack Rd for this new one near Carll's path? Again, if yes, is there a future plan to eliminate the Commack Rd grade crossing?
hrfcarl

Postby grobtech » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:15 am

The siding that serves the area behind PC Richards will now be accessible from the west. The current switch will be removed since the second track will be on the south side of the current main - where the switch currently sits. The Commack Road crossing is not being eliminated.
grobtech

Postby MattAmity90 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:23 am

grobtech wrote:The siding that serves the area behind PC Richards will now be accessible from the west. The current switch will be removed since the second track will be on the south side of the current main - where the switch currently sits. The Commack Road crossing is not being eliminated.

There are actually NO plans for grade crossing elimination along the entire Ronkonkoma Branch, just the second track despite the fact the branch has quite the handful of hazardous crossings. Those hazardous crossings will hopefully get an upgrade in safety like Stewart Avenue did, and hopefully something will be done about Executive Drive next to Deer Park (especially the right turn when traveling West, since Trucks have gotten stuck on those Jersey barriers that protect the signals).
MattAmity90

Postby Head-end View » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:16 pm

Well by 20 or 30 years from now when enough grade crossing accidents kill enough people and cause enough delays to thousands of passengers, then the State will elevate the tracks like they did in the 60's with the Babylon branch.
Head-end View

Postby vince » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:24 pm

Four Quadrant Gates would eliminate the idiots from doing the 'run-around'. Sure, the cost is about 40% more . . . so what's a human life worth? (not the idiot driving, but the passenger.
I Have watched a lot of video of Europe passenger & freight operations and note that most grade crossings a totallly blocked by crossing gates. Trains don't sound horn! Guess they figure if the lights are flashing and gates down why blow horn?
Stupid is as stupid does.
F. Gump

regards,
vince
LIRR Route Photos:> https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/album.php?albumid=248
Video:> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkJzw0MwL1k
vince

Postby Head-end View » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:17 pm

I agree with you Vince. :wink:
Head-end View