MTA LIRR Double Track Project - Ronkonkoma to Farmingdale

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: MTA LIRR Double Track Project - Ronkonkoma to Farmingdal

Postby tj48 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:07 pm

In my travels yesterday and today along Long Island Ave:
Electrical construction crews were installing rectangular boxes along the new ROW at various places on the grade from Wyandanch station to the Deer Park ave overpass.
Apx half the Wyandanch station platform (the platform pillars are still there) from the pedestrian overpass back towards the station has been removed. Construction crews are building a foundation slightly to the east of the existing station where the platforms have been removed. Possibly the location of the new station?
tj48

Postby MattAmity90 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:04 pm

I looked at photos on Flickr, and they obviously tore down the decorative awning at Pinelawn, and installed platform concrete pillars for the new second platform across from the current Pinelawn platform since everything will have to be torn down for the second track. They have rehabilitated every grade crossing on the ROW from one to two track capacities (I think New Hwy. is now a two-tracker), and they have installed the switches for the new Central Islip Interlocking, installed a crossover switch in between Ocean and Pond in Ronkonkoma, and installed a new crossover switch at JS that will go from the North to South track.

Are you saying that they tore down parts of the platform at Wyandanch, or are they going to shift the platform further East while tearing down the current Western end near the grade crossing?
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby tj48 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:13 pm

MattAmity90 wrote:
Are you saying that they tore down parts of the platform at Wyandanch, or are they going to shift the platform further East while tearing down the current Western end near the grade crossing?

When I drove by apx half of the platform from the pedestrian bridge back towards the current station building had been removed. If I were to guess I would say half of a normal LIRR train could platform at Wyandanch.
tj48

Postby nyandw » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:55 am

"Little Giant" Crane TC-904 - Mainline Double Track Project MP47 Ronkonkoma view SW 10/18/15 Photo: Edward Hand

Folks, This thread material is terrific; as it documents historically the project, perhaps like no project prior. Kudos" BellStBarn and MACTRAXX :-) What is being done here in "real time" is super. :-)

I would suggest photo documentation perhaps take a turn; for example.

I'll refer to a previous Ronkonkoma Project page; just as an example: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Ronkonkoma/ronkelectrification.htm of "back collecting" material/photos/etc. The dates/locations/photographers/and details get lost over time; whether film or digital.

Our new challenge, perhaps, is to pick our photos for the future and digitally label them; delete the rest. Camera date/time stamp is nice, however, some find it distracting from the photo to have it on the image... I'll agree, depending....

To do a Google/ hard drive search for a specific photo with a camera date/time stamp that has a file name of: IMG_0017_zps6werercvd6b5f0ac.jpg is impossible, as I see it...even days, much less years later.
nyandw

Postby MattAmity90 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:06 pm

tj48 wrote:
MattAmity90 wrote:

When I drove by apx half of the platform from the pedestrian bridge back towards the current station building had been removed. If I were to guess I would say half of a normal LIRR train could platform at Wyandanch.

I guess this means that Wyandanch is now a 6-car platform.

Westbound: Ding-Dong (Wyandanch station only the first 6 cars will platform, the rear six will not).
Eastbound: Ding-Dong (Wyandanch station first 6 cars will not platform, only the rear six will platform).
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby Amtrak7 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:03 pm

Buses replace trains east of Farmingdale for all weekends in January to advance this project.
Amtrak7

Postby MattAmity90 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:33 am

Amtrak7 wrote:Buses replace trains east of Farmingdale for all weekends in January to advance this project.

That's fantastic to know, hope they break out the NTC (New Track Construction) behemoth!

It is official that all 12 grade crossings that had to be converted from one to track crossings are rehabilitated. Plus I did find a photo and it does show the Eastern half of Wyandanch has been razed with temporary 8-10-12 MU signs on the South side of the ROW.
MattAmity90

Postby SwingMan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:16 pm

NYAR brought out the NTC machine this morning on the RS-50, as well as 10 concrete tie cars and other assorted cars for the upcoming projects.
SwingMan

Postby Amtrak7 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:36 pm

MattAmity90 wrote:
Amtrak7 wrote:Buses replace trains east of Farmingdale for all weekends in January to advance this project.

That's fantastic to know, hope they break out the NTC (New Track Construction) behemoth!

It is official that all 12 grade crossings that had to be converted from one to track crossings are rehabilitated. Plus I did find a photo and it does show the Eastern half of Wyandanch has been razed with temporary 8-10-12 MU signs on the South side of the ROW.

I reread the blurb; it appears that Bethpage and Farmingdale passengers will also be bused for these weekends with KO trains cancelled in their entirety, unclear as to outage limits.

Good to hear re: the crossings!
Amtrak7

Postby tj48 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:05 pm

Passed over the Carll's Path crossing yesterday am. Could see the end of a Astro stone car sticking up at what I'm guessing is going to be the new entrance(?) to the Astro stone yard.
tj48

Postby MattAmity90 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:43 pm

Where is the NTC currently located right now because it's obvious they wouldn't dare work on the weekends of December 16-17, December 23-24, and December 30-31?!

We all know that all the January weekends there will be no service: January 6-7, January 13-14, January 20-21, and January 27-28.

Is there any other kind of work they will be doing on those weekends aside from the NTC laying down miles of the new track? Switch work East of Central Islip, electrifying the remainder of the second track laid from West of Ronkonkoma to East of Central Islip?

Little bit of a milestone: On December 28th we will be celebrating the 30th Anniversary of electric service from Ronkonkoma to Penn Station with the completion of the Ronkonkoma to Hicksville electrification project. The milestone for the M1 will not be until December 30th, 2018 for the 50th Anniversary of the first revenue M1 from Babylon to Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby LRail » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:31 am

Perhaps relevant to both the NYA forum and this one. I saw on Edward Hand's excellent Flickr site that the switch to PC Richard's in Deer Park has been removed due to the new track. Will they reinstall the switch?
-Lee
LRail

Postby MattAmity90 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:57 pm

I don't think they are going to replace the switch, but aside from Pinelawn being razed along with the boring of holes and concrete piers being put into place for their new platform, Wyandanch is actually being rehabilitated (hence the East half of the station is gone) and right next to where it existed they are now boring holes and placing concrete piers on both sides. One problem though is that power pole to the South of the ROW is in the way of where the second platform will be placed. Coming along smoothly for those busy January weekend outages to start off 2018. Ties are being laid all along the South of the ROW. Edward Hand I just can't thank enough for the updated pictures.

27265084439_afe12f43c5_z.jpg
Zoom Out looking at Wyandanch.

38155790155_2ca5e55b77_z.jpg
Pedestrian Bridge look at track level at Wyandanch.

25190444288_0d3671b0e5_z.jpg
Laying of ties near Islip Avenue. New interlocking can be seen in the background.
MattAmity90

Previous

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)