MTA LIRR Double Track Project - Ronkonkoma to Farmingdale

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: MTA LIRR Double Track Project - Ronkonkoma to Farmingdal

Postby Amtrak7 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:18 pm

BM6569 wrote:"MTA Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) has laid the final 5 miles of rail for its double-track project, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced late last week. "

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/p ... ect--53677

I guess that's literally true, the CWR is dropped on the ROW.

Looking at Edward Hand's photographs, the difference in the condition of the two mains is very apparent. I guess the first year or so of two track operation will be laden with single-track outages for concrete ties and new rail on the original track...they can't make much use of the added capacity anyway, with midday and weekend outages for ML Third Track starting soon.
Amtrak7

Postby MattAmity90 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:36 am

I saw in other of Hand's photographs that Pinelawn's new platform has plastic jersey barriers with a chain-link fence on the backside. Obviously this will be temporary because they need to wire it with a Solari departure board, possibly a second ramp halfway, handrails, and the fence is probably to protect passengers from construction equipment. Not to mention that new permanent lighting fixtures will be installed.

As far JS Interlocking, they have a confusing setup:

A crossover switch just to the East of Carll's Path that goes South, a new crossover switch that goes South that is connected to the new second track, and the switch in service near the gantry. The wayside signal that was located to the South of the running track was relocated to the other side. I'm not sure if the current switch will be cut out and replaced meaning the two switches will move further West, or if the current switch will still be used. Some people said that temporary sidings are constructed, but those switches aren't even connected, they are just jutting out from the ballast.

No news yet on the ongoing construction of the new Central Islip interlocking switches other than those dwarf signals.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby tj48 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:48 am

Very early this morning my travels took me by Wyandanch station. The NTC machine was sitting directly across from the station. Behind it was apx 6 loaded concrete tie flatcars with a Rail King Trackmobile coupled to them. The Trackmobile answered a question for me as to how the concrete tie flatcars are brought to and removed from the machine.
tj48

Postby MattAmity90 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:09 pm

Near the DK switch is the next load of concrete ties, and I'm guessing that today the NTC will go through Straight Path and the 18th Street crossing to the new crossover switches near that pedestrian bridge.

Work is being feverishly done already with the construction of the new platform on the South side. It looks like the two platforms will not be across from each other, it will have a Bolands Landing configuration. The South platform will actually be located further West and closer to the Wellwood Avenue grade crossing.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby tj48 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:55 pm

My travels took me along Long Island Ave this AM. The NTC machine was stopped right at the Wellwood ave crossing. The concrete tie cars were all empty and the Track Mobile was waiting just behind the flatcars. There was another good size crew with various heavy machinery working with concrete tie panel tracks between the Little East Neck Rd and S18th st crossings near the pedestrian overpass. A large amount of ballast has been dumped in the construction yard between the S18th st and Straight Path crossings with a front end loader filling LIRR Hi-rail dump trucks.
tj48

Postby MattAmity90 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:16 am

Trailing vehicle probably went back East to pick up another load of concrete ties. All they have to do is lay track in between New Highway and Wellwood Avenue, then from New Highway West to FARM.
MattAmity90

Postby MattAmity90 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:11 am

Update on the project according to Edward Hand's photos:

1.) NTC/TLM has now reached New Highway, and is probably already underway laying down the final 1/2-mile of second track from the West lip of New Highway to a point near FARM.
2.) Over this past weekend during the outage, they cut the running track and installed one of two turnout switches West of Wyandanch, the next one will probably be done on the next outage. New ties were put in place on the new running track with a large gap between the third rails that is connected via jumper cables.
3.) Now that the NTC/TLM has passed Pinelawn, work has resumed on the new South platform. They are laying down the segments on top of the pillars, while the ground is being graded to the West of the North platform. I'm not sure why they are doing that aside from a fence or maybe a second ramp, but the metal handrails have not been put in. The platform is still surrounded by sand-filled jersey barriers with a chain link fence that has MU signs and one platform sign that was taken off the old platform that reads "Pinelawn."
MattAmity90

Postby nyandw » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:39 pm

Where are the Hand photos?
nyandw

Postby tj48 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:47 am

NTC machine is sitting just west of New Highway crossing. Empty tie cars, the track mobile coupled to 1 loaded tie car sitting just east of New Highway crossing this AM.
tj48

Postby MattAmity90 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:52 am

Probably went back to get more ties (I don't know where they reload), but it sounds like they will lay the remaining few thousand feet today! Hand did not post photos from yesterday because New Highway was closed to traffic.

39092720665_9475bdf56e_z.jpg
New South platform at Pinelawn taking shape looking West.

28211619079_43e65be417_z.jpg
NTC or TLM clamping the track lips installed at New Highway.

25120238847_28e856a68e_z.jpg
Penn Station-bound M3 heading towards FARM, and guide vehicle in the remaining area prepping the laid rail to be fed into the TLM.
MattAmity90

Postby Trainmaster5 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:19 pm

Was just at Brentwood station parking lot and noticed a work consist east of the switch. It appears that there is a second track laid down next to the existing trackage although it's not connected to the main yet. The new track has the consist of a " Rail King " unit and 3 or 4 hoppers from west to east laid up on It. It was dark so I couldn't see much. Is this part of the weekend outages or is this work being done at different times ? I have seen work being done at west end of the platforms daily at the Brentwood Road crossing. That appeared to be signal cable work. Anyone have more information about the recent work?
Trainmaster5

Postby nyandw » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:33 pm

MattAmity90 wrote:Update on the project according to Edward Hand's photos:

1.) NTC/TLM has now reached New Highway, and is probably already underway laying down the final 1/2-mile of second track from the West lip of New Highway to a point near FARM.
2.) Over this past weekend during the outage, they cut the running track and installed one of two turnout switches West of Wyandanch, the next one will probably be done on the next outage. New ties were put in place on the new running track with a large gap between the third rails that is connected via jumper cables.
3.) Now that the NTC/TLM has passed Pinelawn, work has resumed on the new South platform. They are laying down the segments on top of the pillars, while the ground is being graded to the West of the North platform. I'm not sure why they are doing that aside from a fence or maybe a second ramp, but the metal handrails have not been put in. The platform is still surrounded by sand-filled jersey barriers with a chain link fence that has MU signs and one platform sign that was taken off the old platform that reads "Pinelawn."

MattAMity90: Where are Ed Hand's material? Thank you.
nyandw

Postby MattAmity90 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:54 am

nyandw wrote:
MattAmity90 wrote:Update on the project according to Edward Hand's photos:

MattAMity90: Where are Ed Hand's material? Thank you.

Flickr. As an update, the platform span at Pinelawn is complete, the grading of the ground from the North platform was for a ramp or staircase, railroad hopper cars are dumping ballast to the South in Brentwood and all along the stretch between Brentwood and Central Islip as well as putting the third rail plastic cover supports in place. The DK switch has been replaced with a new one and isolated until further notice.

This past weekend's outage had the second turnout switch installed in the running track at Wyandanch, but the one on the newly laid second does not line up, but they should align it soon probably in March. Rebar and the new station building are coming along swimmingly at Wyandanch with all the pillars in place and the rebar will probably be the elevator/bridge combo. I've been keeping track of the Hand's photos by putting them on my Facebook under an album titled "Ronkonkoma Double-Track." The recent photos are at the bottom.
MattAmity90

Postby newkirk » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:54 pm

To MattAmity90:

On your Pinelawn station photos. Where did you park your car to take those photos ?

There doesn't seem to be any options to me.
Bill Mangahas (AKA Newkirk Images LLC)
Train to Rockaway Park now boarding on Track 22
newkirk

Postby MattAmity90 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:37 pm

newkirk wrote:To MattAmity90:

On your Pinelawn station photos. Where did you park your car to take those photos ?

There doesn't seem to be any options to me.

I didn't take those photos, I'm from Long Island but I live in Pennsylvania. Edward Hand takes the photos.
MattAmity90

PreviousNext

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)