work on Farmingdale wye

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: work on Farmingdale wye

Postby liallegheny » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:59 pm

Go to this link viewtopic.php?f=115&t=84940 for more info on the wye
liallegheny

Postby SlackControl » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:29 am

Is this prep for the new double track project, or is it too early for that?
SlackControl

Postby Insideman » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:34 am

New customer for NYAR
"Those who can, build. Those who can't, criticize."
R. Moses
Insideman

Postby SlackControl » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:05 pm

Insideman wrote:New customer for NYAR

Good news! It's great seeing them expand their operation. Which place is going to take cars, the old brick building that's been talked about, or the stone company down the hill?
SlackControl

Work on Farmingdale wye - Map

Postby nyandw » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:30 pm

Image at:

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/wyes/NYA-Farmingdale-New-Highway-Map_3-20-2013_SRothaug.jpg
NYA New Highway, Farmingdale 3/20/2013 Design: Steve Rothaug

Coastal Distribution LLC Farmingdale view S 3/18/2013 Photo: Steve Rothaug

Can someone ID the photographer and date?

Perhaps with the map (corrections welcome) it is easier for all of us to envision the location. SO what's the current story guys? Customers, loads, etc.
nyandw

Postby jayrmli » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:00 pm

Looks like J.D. Posillico will be taking stone cars west of here. They've installed some track and what looks like an unloading pit. The construction you're seeing there looks like the lead for this freight siding.
Check out my website about railfanning in the Northeast!

http://www.northeastrailfans.com
jayrmli

Postby BobLI » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:49 pm

Is the west leg of the Y going to be rebuilt? It would seem to make operations into Coastal a lot easier.
BobLI

Postby AlKaLI » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:18 pm

Please see the photos below taken on 3-10-13 at New Highway in Farmingdale, NY

The first picture shows the west leg of the wye reconnected to the new siding.
The second shows the right hand turnout on the groundthat will form the new right hand crossover from the existing PW siding into the new siding
The third shows the view towards the asphalt plant. It is hard to tell but there is another RH switch for the asphalt plant past the rail crane pictured.

@Steve
- With these photos, I think your diagram is clearer.
- Isn't the picture of OGIX 1016 the same as on the 1st page of this post - Mike McDermet 5-22-08?
Attachments
Coastal Mar 2013 063.JPG
View toward new crossover
Coastal Mar 2013 063.JPG (252.96 KiB) Viewed 1204 times
Coastal Mar 2013 062.JPG
RH switch
Coastal Mar 2013 062.JPG (296.22 KiB) Viewed 1204 times
Coastal Mar 2013 061.jpg
New Highway looking west Wye connection
Coastal Mar 2013 061.jpg (322.67 KiB) Viewed 1204 times
AlKaLI

Postby AlKaLI » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:20 pm

Sorry, first titme posting pictures.
Reverse descriptions for 1st and 3rd
AlKaLI

Re: work on Farmingdale wye Update

Postby nyandw » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:43 pm

AlKaLI wrote:"...@Steve, - With these photos, I think your diagram is clearer.
- Isn't the picture of OGIX 1016 the same as on the 1st page of this post - Mike McDermet 5-22-08?

Yes, thank you for pointing this out. :-) I didn't filename very well the side view OGIX 1016. (yes Folks, told ya this is what happens, bad file names, and this is only 5 years back, DUH...)

Here's the new update with photos: http://www.trainsarefun.com/NYA/nyafreight.htm
View NE across New Hwy into Coastal Dist. Photos: Steven Rothaug 3-18-13
nyandw

Farmingdale wye - new photos, aerial view

Postby nyandw » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:41 pm

Hi Folks, Steve Rothaug that has been doing the photos/map has sent me this info below:

How does the industry work? Loads in/out, trucks/gons/etc.
What are they receiving/shipping? Frequency, types of cars needed, etc. If ya know!
What business(s) moved into the ex-B&G/Republic building?

Here's what Steve sent: posted at: http://www.trainsarefun.com/NYA/nyafreight.htm

The New York & Atlantic RR services a light metals recycling facility on New Highway in East Farmingdale. The scrap metals come by dump trucks and are loaded into high-sided gondolas for the trip off Long Island. A month ago (February 2013) I noticed that the trackwork at that facility was being rearranged.

The recycling lot was built on the site of an existing wye that extended north of the main line. A corrugated steel building was erected over the east leg of the wye. It appears that empties come into the lot on the west leg and loads exit on the east leg, but since all of the switching happens overnight, I can't verify that.

The west leg crosses New Highway and enters the fenced property through a gate. There is also another unused siding that runs along side a building north of the west leg of the wye.

A new longer siding has been laid north of the team track and it looks like it extends far enough west to reach a sand and gravel lot. The original switch for the wye's west leg has been mostly removed and a new turnout in on site waiting to be installed, but I don't know exactly where.

The wye goes back to the early 20th century, c.1916, when Bloch and Guggenheimer (B&G) Pickles occupied the west wye leg site followed by Republic Aviation during WW II when in full swing building fighter planes for the war effort. As the LIRR rules prevented steam engines from running tender first on the main line, the wye was essential for turning them for the westbound runs. The building was later used as a warehouse.
nyandw

Postby SlackControl » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:46 pm

Currently, switching is performed on the east leg of the wye only. Loads are pulled out, then the empties are shoved in, both on the east leg of the wye. It doesn't make sense to put the emptied through the west leg, as the engines are on the wrong end of the drag. Usually the job that switches coastal takes care of business there, then either continues east to Wyandanch to switch the container customer before heading back west, or they just run around at Farmingdale and head back from there.
SlackControl

Postby AlKaLI » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:56 pm

@Steve:

A little bit of correction is needed about your previous post. Coastal Distirbution is a transload facility for Construction & Demolition (C&D) debris. It may recycle some metal found in the debris that the tractor trailers bring in but the majority of the waste is C&D (sheetrock, lumber, etc) This is what the shed on the east leg of the wye houses. The trucks dump their loads and then in it is loaded by grapple and loaders into the high side gondolas for disposal in landfills (Ohio, I believe)

Coastal is one of NY&A's largest customers. It loads about 10-15 gons 6 days a week. I believe it has its own trucks (I've seen at least 5 tractor trailers) and its own railcars (CDEX cars). It is empties in-loads out operation.

It will be interesting to see if additional cars get loaded or operations when the new trackage in this area is in service.
AlKaLI

Postby nyandw » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:44 pm

AlKaLI: Great, thanks for the clarifications! New photos added of the switch install, view west into the concrete plant, and an inside view of the Coastal Ops.

I have modified the text as follows:

"...The New York & Atlantic RR services Coastal Distribution; a transload facility for construction and demolition debris (C&D). It is built on the previous LIRR site of an existing wye that extended north of the main line.

Coastal is one of NY&A's largest customers. It loads about 10-15 gondolas 6 days a week. I believe it has its own trucks (I've seen at least 5 tractor trailers) and its own railcars (CDEX cars). It is an empties-in/loads-out operation.

It may recycle some metal found in the debris that the tractor trailers bring in, but the majority of the waste is C&D (sheetrock, lumber, etc.) This is what the corrugated steel shed on the east leg of the wye houses. The trucks dump their loads and then in it is loaded by grapple and loaders into the high side gondolas for disposal in landfills. (Sent to Ohio, I believe.)

The west wye leg crosses New Highway and enters the fenced property through a gate. Coastal Distribution. However, currently, switching is performed on the east leg of the wye only. Loads are pulled out, then the empties are shoved in, both on the east leg of the wye. It doesn't make sense to put the emptied through the west leg, as the engines are on the wrong end of the drag. Usually the job that switches coastal takes care of business there, then either continues east to Wyandanch to switch the container customer before heading back west, or they just run around at Farmingdale and head back from there.

A new longer siding has been laid north of the team track and it looks like it extends far enough west to reach a sand and gravel lot.

The wye goes back to the early 20th century, c.1916, when Bloch and Guggenheimer (B&G) Pickles occupied the west wye leg site followed by Republic Aviation during WW II when in full swing building fighter planes for the war effort. As the LIRR rules prevented steam engines from running tender first on the main line, the wye was essential for turning them for the westbound runs. The building was later used as a warehouse..."

Thank you for the corrections, nice. Best
nyandw

Postby nyandw » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:40 pm

Anyone with photos of the intermodal crane/lift prior to its removal?
Last edited by nyandw on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nyandw

PreviousNext

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)