Ogilvie - Union Station Passenger Walkway?

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the greater Chicago area, including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

Ogilvie - Union Station Passenger Walkway?

Postby scoostraw » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:29 pm

I thought I read somewhere that there is an underground walkway connection between Union Station and the Ogilvie Transportation Center. Is this true? And if so, how does one access it?
scoostraw

Re: Ogilvie - Union Station Passenger Walkway?

Postby doepack » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:39 pm

Technically, no such walkway exists. However, there are stairs at the opposite (north) end of tracks 5 thru 15 along Union Station's north concourse used mostly by rush hour commuters riding Milwaukee or NCS district trains which lead to the southeast corner of Madison and Canal. At this point, the tall, blue building facing you on the northwest corner is now called the Citigroup building, also home to Metra's Ogilvie Transportation Center...
--Dorian--
doepack

Postby EricL » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:13 pm

Maybe you're thinking of the old Northwest Passage, which used to go between Northwestern Station and the Clinton L station?
All aboard, America... all aboard Amtrak
EricL

Postby Passenger » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:38 am

EricL wrote:Maybe you're thinking of the old Northwest Passage, which used to go between Northwestern Station and the Clinton L station?

That reminds me.

Why was that eliminated?
Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
Passenger

Postby byte » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:19 am

Probably because no one wanted to pay for it. I believe it "went away" around when the Green Line got its rehab, and Oglivie got its new trainsheds. It's no secret that Metra and the CTA have a very cool relationship with eachother, so I would imagine the question of "who's gonna pay for it?" came up and was never solved.
That old car might be worth money!
byte

Postby scoostraw » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:46 pm

doepack wrote:Technically, no such walkway exists. However, there are stairs at the opposite (north) end of tracks 5 thru 15 along Union Station's north concourse used mostly by rush hour commuters riding Milwaukee or NCS district trains which lead to the southeast corner of Madison and Canal. At this point, the tall, blue building facing you on the northwest corner is now called the Citigroup building, also home to Metra's Ogilvie Transportation Center...

This must be what I had heard about. I've taken Amtrak in and out of Union Station frequently, but I'm not certain where you are referring to. Is it possible to spot the location on this map?

http://www.chicagounionstation.com/map_concourse.html
scoostraw

Postby EricL » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:56 pm

I don't see the Madison St. stairs on that map. To get to these stairways from inside CUS, you just go out the doors for tracks 5-7, 9-11, or 13-15. The stairs are all the way at the opposite ends of the platforms. No one will care about you going out there; Metra doesn't have gate agents like Amtrak does.
EricL

Postby scoostraw » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:08 pm

EricL wrote:I don't see the Madison St. stairs on that map. To get to these stairways from inside CUS, you just go out the doors for tracks 5-7, 9-11, or 13-15. The stairs are all the way at the opposite ends of the platforms. No one will care about you going out there; Metra doesn't have gate agents like Amtrak does.

Ok this sounds easy enough. I will actually be coming in on Metra to the Ogilvie Transportaion Center, and then walking to Union Station. Is the street entrance to the stairway at Madison and Canal clearly marked?
scoostraw

Postby EricL » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Yeah, there's a big canopy that says "Metra - Union Station - Madison Street Entrance" on it. It's on the south side of Madison, between the river bridge and Canal St.
EricL

Postby justalurker66 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:08 pm

scoostraw wrote:Ok this sounds easy enough. I will actually be coming in on Metra to the Ogilvie Transportaion Center, and then walking to Union Station. Is the street entrance to the stairway at Madison and Canal clearly marked?

Yes.

Google Map - Use street view to take a look!
justalurker66

Postby Milwaukee_F40C » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:14 pm

This map shows most of Chicago's public interconnections between buildings:
http://egov.cityofchicago.org/webportal ... legend.pdf
If there was a public connection between Northwestern and Union terminals, it would probably be on there, but it doesn't exist.
The pedestrian way does connect to Randolph station, though. I've always found this "network" pretty useless- you have to wind through a series of tunnels, footbridges, building lobbies, hallways, basements, food courts, and stores, up and down stairs. Its not even well marked, so I don't know how people manage to navigate it without spending hours trying to learn where all the entrances are, since they're mostly within buildings. You wind up inside a building and have to then figure out where the next entrance is... I don't see how it could be any faster than taking the streets.
Milwaukee_F40C

Postby doepack » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:38 pm

Milwaukee_F40C wrote:This map shows most of Chicago's public interconnections between buildings:
http://egov.cityofchicago.org/webportal ... legend.pdf
The pedestrian way does connect to Randolph station, though. I've always found this "network" pretty useless- you have to wind through a series of tunnels, footbridges, building lobbies, hallways, basements, food courts, and stores, up and down stairs. Its not even well marked, so I don't know how people manage to navigate it without spending hours trying to learn where all the entrances are, since they're mostly within buildings. You wind up inside a building and have to then figure out where the next entrance is... I don't see how it could be any faster than taking the streets.

It probably doesn't save time, and yeah, it's easy to get lost. But it's still a decent alternative when the weather's bad. Awhile back, I remember one would be able to access Metra's Randolph St. station from CTA's Dearborn Street subway at Washington, via an underground passage that started with the connecting tunnel to the State Street subway, then continued under what was then Marshall Field's, as well other buildings. Part of the route included the Pedway, wonder if that's reopened yet...

byte wrote:Probably because no one wanted to pay for it. I believe it "went away" around when the Green Line got its rehab, and Oglivie got its new trainsheds. It's no secret that Metra and the CTA have a very cool relationship with eachother, so I would imagine the question of "who's gonna pay for it?" came up and was never solved.

"NW passage" was abolished around 1990 or so, at least several years before CTA's Clinton station was closed as part of the Green line rehab (think that began in '94). While Northwestern station was being transformed into OTC, Metra wanted track 1 restored as a live terminal track for revenue trains (which meant extending it 500 feet or so further south to align it with the other 15 existing terminal tracks), thus necessitating the demolition of the passageway between the two facilities. CTA had pretty much given up on it anyway in the years before it was closed, it was poorly maintained, and had no intention of bringing it back once the line reopened after the rehab...
--Dorian--
doepack

Postby CHTT1 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:30 am

The pedway is open from Randolph St. station west and it is relatively easy to use and access, and definitely worth using during inclement weather. Back in January I walked from the station to the Daley Center, went up to the street, and then crossed Randolph to the Thompson Center and it was much better than walking inthe windy, cold weather outside.
The pedway goes through the old library, a new condo complex (with a view of a health club's swimming pool), through the Macy's walkway, or you can cut through the store's basement, past the Red LIne station entrance, through the new Block 57 complex (with a number of eateries), past the Blue Line and into the Daley Center. Up the escalator and through the doors to the street. I think you can get to the Thompson Center through another tunnel, but it takes a bit of exploring to find the way.
CHTT1

Postby scoostraw » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:46 am

EricL wrote:Yeah, there's a big canopy that says "Metra - Union Station - Madison Street Entrance" on it. It's on the south side of Madison, between the river bridge and Canal St.

Excellent. Yes I see it. Thanks a bunch. This will be fine. Thanks also to justalurker66 and Google Maps!

-- Ken
scoostraw

Postby scoostraw » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:14 pm

I'll be boarding at Harvard and coming in on the UP-NW line. Are any of you familiar with the Harvard station? Is there long term parking available? I'll be away for about 5-7 days.

Thanks.
scoostraw

Next

Return to Chicagoland Commuter & Transit