Service Disruptions

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: JamesT4, metraRI

Re: Service Disruptions

Postby Backshophoss » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:47 pm

WBBM, has been reporting 15-20 min delays due to a derailment south of Union Station today,repairs may last to tomorrow's AM Rush.
Who Derailed this am to create this problem? METRA or Amtrak??
Backshophoss

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:14 pm

Here is TRAINS Newswire coverage of the incident:

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... ra-clogged

Fair Use:

..CHICAGO — The derailment of three coach cars on a Metra train caused several track closings at Chicago Union Station and delays for thousands of commuters and Amtrak passengers Wednesday.

Metra officials said the third, fourth, and fifth cars of an eight-car SouthWest Service train derailed approximately 10:50 p.m. Tuesday as the train was arriving at the station.

The derailed cars remained upright and the five other cars and locomotive remained on the tracks. There were no injuries to the three passengers on board, Metra said.

For what it be worth, observed Amtrak #3 (30) "more or less" on time.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby Backshophoss » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:45 am

WBBM reports that the Switch repairs will continue into tomorrow's AM rush,also RTA is asking for more $$$ from the IL statehouse
to handle some capital projects for "state of good repair" of the regional commuter rail.
Backshophoss

Postby ohioriverrailway » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:31 pm

NICTD having wire issues. One train cancelled, others 45 to 60 minutes late. One report said diesels called out to assist.
Rick H.
ohioriverrailway

Postby orangeline » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:25 am

I understand that yesterday morning (Jan 18) there was a broken rail near the Clarendon Hills station on the BNSF that caused major disruptions on Metra BNSF, Amtrak and the freights that use the line. This morning (Jan 19) I was surprised to learn those disruptions are still in place. I'm no railroader or civil engineer, but it seems odd to me that "a broken rail" requires more than 24 hours to repair. Forgive my ignorance but why is that the case?
"Welcome aboard Orange Line run 711. Travel time to downtown is 25 minutes. Next stop will be Pulaski."
orangeline

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:17 am

Thank you, Mr. Orange, for an explanation.of what I observed yesterday afternoon on my walk over to West Hinsdale.

Must say I wondered why all traffic was proceeding "at speed not exceeding that needed to stop short of any obstruction".

Suffice to say at "school's out" time, Mom in her SUV was getting frustrated because Johnny was going to be late for Karate and Ginny was going to be late for her Ballet.
Gilbert B Norman

Previous

Return to Chicagoland Commuter & Transit