Metra issues RFP for Locomotives.

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: JamesT4, metraRI

Metra issues RFP for Locomotives.

Postby DutchRailnut » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 pm

Metra issues RFP for new Locomotives.
http://www.progressiverailroading.com/m ... ves--53600
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
User avatar
DutchRailnut
 
Posts: 21647
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:02 pm
Location: released from Stalag 13

Re: Metra issues RFP for Locomotives.

Postby CNJGeep » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:13 am

"Nobody wins unless everybody wins."
CNJGeep
 
Posts: 1527
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: A Small Onion

Re: Metra issues RFP for Locomotives.

Postby Backshophoss » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:56 pm

Unknown if they are ex Amtrak-Ca or Cascade service F59's
Backshophoss
 
Posts: 5344
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:58 pm

Re: Metra issues RFP for Locomotives.

Postby MACTRAXX » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:17 pm

BSH: Probably both. Good move here by Metra for more locomotives.

Were there any more former GO Transit F59s available in the market to supplement the three
that they already have?

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX
 
Posts: 3751
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:55 am
Location: Islandia,Long Island,NY

Re: Metra issues RFP for Locomotives.

Postby Backshophoss » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:58 am

If METRA ever buys new,figure on F125's from Cat/EMD,built in state to boot. :wink:
Backshophoss
 
Posts: 5344
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:58 pm

Re: Metra issues RFP for Locomotives.

Postby electricron » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:21 pm

MACTRAXX wrote:BSH: Probably both. Good move here by Metra for more locomotives.
Were there any more former GO Transit F59s available in the market to supplement the three
that they already have?
MACTRAXX

GO bought 49 F59PH locomotives, 8 of them (557-564) were rebuilt in 2011 for continuing GO service. GO has bought 67 MP40PH-3C locomotives entering service since 2008. GO is buying 17 new MP54AC locomotives, and as these enter service they plan to retire their last 8 F59PH locomotives.
So that means 41 F59PH locomotives ordered by GO have been retired by GO so far.
AMT has bought 10
MERTA has bought 3 from AMT
Metrolink has leased 3 from RB Railway Group to go the 20 they bought directly from the manufacture.
NCDOT has bought 6 to refurbish as locomotives, and another 4 or 5 to be turned into cab cars.
TRE has bought 8
RB Railway Group has bought 12.
Math double check = 49-8-10--6-5-8-12 = 0

AMT has 7 and RB Railway Group has 9 remaining, to go with the last 8 still in GO service, that might be becoming available soon. The METRA, TRE, and NCDOT units will be staying where they are for a long time, and METRA would like more. Metrolink will be using theirs for a while, but are getting new locomotives soon and theirs may become available soon.

And I didn't account the F59PHI locomotives in service.
electricron
 
Posts: 4224
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: Metra issues RFP for Locomotives.

Postby electricron » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:58 pm

electricron wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:BSH: Probably both. Good move here by Metra for more locomotives.
Were there any more former GO Transit F59s available in the market to supplement the three
that they already have?
MACTRAXX

GO bought 49 F59PH locomotives, 8 of them (557-564) were rebuilt in 2011 for continuing GO service. GO has bought 67 MP40PH-3C locomotives entering service since 2008. GO is buying 17 new MP54AC locomotives, and as these enter service they plan to retire their last 8 F59PH locomotives.
So that means 41 F59PH locomotives ordered by GO have been retired by GO so far.
AMT has bought 10
MERTA has bought 3 from AMT
Metrolink has leased 3 from RB Railway Group to go the 20 they bought directly from the manufacture.
NCDOT has bought 6 to refurbish as locomotives, and another 4 or 5 to be turned into cab cars.
TRE has bought 8
RB Railway Group has bought 12.
Math double check = 49-8-10--6-5-8-12 = 0

AMT has 7 and RB Railway Group has 9 remaining, to go with the last 8 still in GO service, that might be becoming available soon. The METRA, TRE, and NCDOT units will be staying where they are for a long time, and METRA would like more. Metrolink will be using theirs for a while, but are getting new locomotives soon and theirs may become available soon.

And I didn't account the F59PHI locomotives in service.

It’s time to account for all 83 F59PHI locomotives...
Amtrak purchased 21 (Surfliners and Cascades being purchased by Metra)
California DOT purchased 15 (Amtrak California)
Metrolink purchased 14
Sounder purchased 11
AMT purchased 10
NCTD purchased 7
West Coast Express purchased 5
NCDOT purchased 2
TRE purchased 2
??? Math = 21+15+14+11+10+7+5+2+2= 87 ???, not 83

I also didn’t account for all 73 F59PH locomotives built either.
GO initially purchased 49 and Metrolink purchased 23.
??? Math= 49+23=72 ???, not 73

So the 73 and 83 F59 locomotive purchases reported by Wiki are confusing to say the least.
Therefore, likely sources of more used F59 locomotives that might become available soon that Metra could buy are 15 PHIs from Amtrak California, and the last 8 PHs from GO. The remaining 9 PHs from RB Railway Group are potentially available now.
electricron
 
Posts: 4224
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: Metra issues RFP for Locomotives.

Postby Tadman » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:56 pm

I don't know about the California 59's but the Cascade 59's are really tired. I travel by Cascade a few times a year, and timekeeping is pretty crummy between CN getting them out of Van on time and the 59's holding up for 8 hours after that. I've also seen a lot of Gennies running around the PNW on account of the 59's being tired.

Did Chicago just buy a bunch of junk? Interested to see others' opinions here.
Tadman
 
Posts: 8800
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:21 am

Re: Metra issues RFP for Locomotives.

Postby NorthWest » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:09 am

They've slowly been cycled through some sort of maintenance that's taken them off the corridor via the Builder (probably to Beech Grove) and they've been doing a lot better lately, though SC-44s are on about half the trains now. 467 is still wrecked and probably at Beech Grove, but I doubt fatally, as it simply turned on its side a bit. 463, a Surfliner unit, made its way up here via Chicago and is now running on one of the sets. Rumor is it is here for PTC training.
User avatar
NorthWest
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: Metra issues RFP for Locomotives.

Postby Milwaukee_F40C » Tue May 22, 2018 10:27 pm

Backshophoss wrote:If METRA ever buys new,figure on F125's from Cat/EMD,built in state to boot. :wink:


I think that plant is on its last legs. They haven't even built locomotives there in years.
Milwaukee_F40C
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:37 pm
Location: IC Centralia Sub, MP 309

Re: Metra issues RFP for Locomotives.

Postby Tadman » Tue May 29, 2018 8:02 am

Over half of it is just gone. They knocked lots down when production moved to London. I believe some of it is light warehousing and some of it is now literally a hole in the ground for the local quarry. Given the current Illinois/Cook/Chicago business climate, it wouldn't surprise me to see Cat pick it all up and drop the leftovers in Muncie at the plant. There has been a very visible exodus of manufacturing out of Illinois in the last five years. Lots of the heavy industry near Clearing Yard has moved to Hammond/East Chicago and lots of the lighter industry out by O'Hare has moved to SE Wisconsin.
Tadman
 
Posts: 8800
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:21 am

Re: Metra issues RFP for Locomotives.

Postby frequentflyer » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:53 pm

Is there a reason they are looking at used instead of new Chargers? Other than money.
frequentflyer
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:28 am


Return to Chicagoland Commuter & Transit

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests