CTA Awards 7000 Series Contract to CSR

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: JamesT4, metraRI

CTA Awards 7000 Series Contract to CSR

Postby HiLoMo » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:37 pm

HiLoMo

Re: CTA Awards 7000 Series Contract to CSR

Postby Tadman » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:47 pm

They're supposedly going to assemble these at 135th and Torrance. It's been billed as a new railcar plant. I'm not so sure, because there is already a large plant there with new-ish cranes that would be a great railcar assembly plant. They'd have to knock it down or invade Ford's parking lot for autorack loading. My 2c is that they're making the existing building newly into a railcar facility.

Edit - correction, that plant was a prewar freight car plant for Pressed Steel Car, best known for making PRR MP54's.
Tadman

Postby Milwaukee_F40C » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:42 pm

If I remember correctly, Bombardier's previous proposal for the 7000 series bid WAS compatible with the 5000 series, contrary to what the Tribune article seems to state.

The CTA first asked for proposals for the rail cars in February 2013, but the next year rejected the initial bids as incompatible with the 5000 Series. The agency then asked for the bids again, dropping the compatibility requirement and including a "U.S. Employment provision,"

CTA withdrew from their 2013 request because they didn't want to buy from Bombardier again. So this will be a good opportunity for them to complain all over again about the problems that happen when a new collection of technology is introduced. Just like the 5000 series, and the 2000 series, and the use of PCC streetcar parts in subway cars, and probably the transition from steam to electric.
Milwaukee_F40C

Postby tommyboy6181 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:58 am

Tadman wrote:They're supposedly going to assemble these at 135th and Torrance. It's been billed as a new railcar plant. I'm not so sure, because there is already a large plant there with new-ish cranes that would be a great railcar assembly plant. They'd have to knock it down or invade Ford's parking lot for autorack loading. My 2c is that they're making the existing building newly into a railcar facility.

Edit - correction, that plant was a prewar freight car plant for Pressed Steel Car, best known for making PRR MP54's.

This is interesting in that CSR has just established a plant in Massachusetts that is currently building the MBTA railcars. Unless CSR is going to shut down the Massachusetts plant once the contract is complete since that contract required all railcars to be built in Massachusetts...
Gotta love Alstom. Every year on opening day of hunting season, it is a paid holiday! :wink:
tommyboy6181

Postby tommyboy6181 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:03 pm

Milwaukee_F40C wrote:If I remember correctly, Bombardier's previous proposal for the 7000 series bid WAS compatible with the 5000 series, contrary to what the Tribune article seems to state.

The CTA first asked for proposals for the rail cars in February 2013, but the next year rejected the initial bids as incompatible with the 5000 Series. The agency then asked for the bids again, dropping the compatibility requirement and including a "U.S. Employment provision,"

CTA withdrew from their 2013 request because they didn't want to buy from Bombardier again. So this will be a good opportunity for them to complain all over again about the problems that happen when a new collection of technology is introduced. Just like the 5000 series, and the 2000 series, and the use of PCC streetcar parts in subway cars, and probably the transition from steam to electric.

Bombardier is not happy about losing the contract.
http://chicago.suntimes.com/politics/ct ... -contract/
Gotta love Alstom. Every year on opening day of hunting season, it is a paid holiday! :wink:
tommyboy6181

Return to Chicagoland Commuter & Transit