Railfanning San Diego?

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

Re: Railfanning San Diego?

Postby ExCon90 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:14 pm

So the "security guard" at the Santa Fe depot was a rent-a-cop? Looks as though that might be a gap in communications, if official policy is communicated by Amtrak, NCTD and MTS to their respective police but maybe not to the rent-a-cops. (A related thought: are rent-a-cops given basic training on safety rules to be observed around live tracks? A railroad station is not a mall or a bank.)
ExCon90

Postby diburning » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:32 am

The security guard looked like he had the same uniform as the security guards that were at the MTS platform at Old Town. I'm not sure who he worked for ask I did not ask.
diburning

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:32 pm

Hey, I plan to railfan mostly the Orange and Green Lines of MTS.

Whichs areas are nice for photographs?

Which neighborhoods should I stay out of?

Thanks.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby Head-end View » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:01 pm

Ride the Green Line across Mission Valley to the end at the Santee Towne Center mall. Good scenic territory. In 2006, I took trolley photos at Santee and no one bothered me. It's a good ride.
Head-end View

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:05 am

That's def on my list; riding the Green Line across Mission Valley.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby diburning » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:24 am

Old Town is a great place to watch freight and passenger action without being bothered. There's a grade crossing there too so it might be better than the Santa Fe Depot which has tall buildings all around which casts shadows in inconvenient places.

I plan on going back either sometime this year or next year.

And if I run into that rent-a-cop again, I'll just call Amtrak Police and tell them there's a rent-a-cop impersonating one of them.
diburning

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:10 am

I will definately railfan at Old Town Station. In fact, I may stay in a hotel in that area.

How's the daytime freight action along the Surfline in San Diego, as well as on the trackage below the Amtrak Station? Thanks.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby diburning » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:12 pm

Pretty much dead. There's a local that runs with a genset in the morning around 5-6AM. There's a northbound freight that originates in San Diego that departs in the evening around 7, but doesn't run every day. The southbound freight arrives overnight.
diburning

Previous

Return to California Commuter & Transit