CalTrain EMU proposal

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

Re: CalTrain EMU proposal

Postby digitalsciguy » Tue May 03, 2011 10:17 pm

lensovet wrote:as to your other point, no, there's just one line. all trains run the full length of the line. the segment between san jose and gilroy has no weekend service, so presumably electrification would occur between SJ and SF first.


Oops, yeah, I derped a bit there. I'm at a loss for what's going on in California...I can only hope the HSR construction finally reaches SF before more budget cuts kill the project and make CalTrain electrification more difficult.
User avatar
digitalsciguy
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:13 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: CalTrain EMU proposal

Postby Fan Railer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:28 am

digitalsciguy wrote:
lensovet wrote:as to your other point, no, there's just one line. all trains run the full length of the line. the segment between san jose and gilroy has no weekend service, so presumably electrification would occur between SJ and SF first.


Oops, yeah, I derped a bit there. I'm at a loss for what's going on in California...I can only hope the HSR construction finally reaches SF before more budget cuts kill the project and make CalTrain electrification more difficult.


Well, considering that the State Senate barely passed the measure to spend the first 6-7 billion or so dollars, in which includes about 700 million to electrify Caltrain, this is now a completely relevant thread again. What I don't get is why Caltrain wants european EMU's so badly. If they're thinking about increasing service and running trains more frequently, I would think there are plenty of single level EMU's that will do the trick, considering that many station platforms are lengthy enough for 6-8 car service, despite the fact that Caltrain only operates 5 car push pull sets now. Another option would be to purchase dual mode locomotives like the ones on NJT, but that's unlikely, and I'm not sure that it would be a smart idea if they plan to electrify down to Gilroy soon after they complete electrification to Tamien.
Fan Railer
 
Posts: 2157
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:32 pm

Re: CalTrain EMU proposal

Postby jb9152 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:24 am

Fan Railer wrote:What I don't get is why Caltrain wants european EMU's so badly.


Not sure, but you can probably find the answer in the Caltrain 2025 plan, which is here:

http://www.caltrain.com/projectsplans/P ... tion_.html
jb9152
 
Posts: 1836
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:15 pm

Re: CalTrain EMU proposal

Postby Fan Railer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:51 pm

jb9152 wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:What I don't get is why Caltrain wants european EMU's so badly.


Not sure, but you can probably find the answer in the Caltrain 2025 plan, which is here:

http://www.caltrain.com/projectsplans/P ... tion_.html


I find their rendering of the ALP-46 to be quite funny looking lol.
Fan Railer
 
Posts: 2157
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:32 pm

Previous

Return to California Commuter & Transit

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest